Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of questions

Options
  • 29-08-2016 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

I was a bit late handing in my renewal form for a rifle. Got it in before the licence expired but it has done since. To be on the safe side I handed it in to a RFD. He was of the opinion that as the paperwork was in I should just hold onto it. Legally I guess I was right but should I have bothered ?

Secondly, I've moved house so included with the renewal form there's a change of address noted. I have a second firearm whos licence doesn't expire until next year. Should I send the Guards a change of address form for it or will my new address details be updated on PULSE with my rifle renewal and the renewal form for the second firearm be automatically sent to my new address next year ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Second Licence will be posted to new address

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Heckler wrote: »
    . Legally I guess I was right but should I have bothered ?
    Legally you done the right thing. As for whether you should have bothered. Again, legally, its like asking should you have held onto an unlicensed firearm. You may even have been told "sure it'll be grand", but you done the right thing so you're covered.
    Should I send the Guards a change of address form for it or will my new address details be updated on PULSE with my rifle renewal and the renewal form for the second firearm be automatically sent to my new address next year ?
    Send in an FCA2 with a change of address for any other firearm. They will not update your new address on all licenses based on the information you supplied for one.

PULSE is a simple beast. It'll show you at one address for the rifle renewal and another for the other firearm(s) unless you inform them you've moved.

Also it's a requirement to inform them. It's why we have the FCA2. To be on the safe side just do the FCA2 and be sure it goes to the right address. Make sure it's done before the FCR is sent out which is usually 3 months before the license expiry date.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭merv35

Cass wrote: »
    Legally you done the right thing. As for whether you should have bothered. Again, legally, its like asking should you have held onto an unlicensed firearm. You may even have been told "sure it'll be grand", but you done the right thing so you're covered.

Send in an FCA2 with a change of address for any other firearm. They will not update your new address on all licenses based on the information you supplied for one.

PULSE is a simple beast. It'll show you at one address for the rifle renewal and another for the other firearm(s) unless you inform them you've moved.

Also it's a requirement to inform them. It's why we have the FCA2. To be on the safe side just do the FCA2 and be sure it goes to the right address. Make sure it's done before the FCR is sent out which is usually 3 months before the license expiry date.

Interesting, where would I stand as I have 3guns, got my renewal forms the other day, 1 gun licensed to current address 2 licensed to home house, even after notifying them of my change of address 3 years ago. Do I just fill in new ones with current address??

Just to be 100% clear. The change of address is only relevant if you store your firearms are your old address.

Example 1.

Say your sharing a house with a few mates. You don't want to store your guns there so you have them at your home place. The CPO has visited the home place, signed off and your guns are now licensed to that address.

If you move out of the house you were sharing to a new house (say your own) well you don't need to change address as the guns are still licensed to the home address. However if you intend to store the guns in your new home you must now complete the FCA2 and notify An Gardaí of the change of address which includes the need to fulfill the security requirements, have the CPO call out, and then move the gun(s) to that address.

Example 2.

You live at address A. All your firearms are licensed and stored there. You move house to address B. You intend to bring your guns to that address as the old place (Address A) is sold/no longer yours. You must complete the FCA2 informing the Gardaí of the change of address and as above fulfill the security, CPO, etc requirements. Then move your gun(s) there.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

When I got my first licence I was living in rented accomodation. Couldn't install gun safe.

I wanted to store the gun in my family home. Monitored alarm etc. FO wasn't happy for some reason that I wouldn't be literally sleeping under the same roof as the firearm. He signed off anyway. So 1st licence was the old paper jobs licenced to the family home where the gun is kept. So far so good.

Then when the renewal came up for the first licence I was after moving again (to rented) so while I put down my current address on the form I also noted that the gun was still being stored at my family home.

So the licence I got back had my current rented address on it even though the firearm was being stored at the family home from day 1.

So I lived for a time with a gun being physically at one address but my licence had my rented address on it.

Was I in the wrong ?

Having 2 firearms now both are permanently registered at the family address. My second licence has an address elsewhere. While I was in a different district when I applied for the licence, on the form I stated it would be kept at the original family address.

So should I send an FCA2 to the local station ? My licence has me at an earlier address but I made it clear in all forms that any firearms would be stored at the original family address.

Basically I suppose if my guns are permanently stored at location A. i.e. my family home and I move around a lot which I do. Do I have to send off an FCA2 everytime I move address even though the guns are not moving ?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Heckler wrote: »
    Was I in the wrong ?
    No.
    Do I have to send off an FCA2 everytime I move address even though the guns are not moving ?
    Awkward, but easy solution.

On the FCA1 you put down you address. For the majority of people this address is the address the firearms will be stored at. For anyone else there is section 3.5. Here you have the option to name the location of the firearm(s) is they are stored at an address other than your home address.

So you tick the box and on an additional piece of paper you name where the firearm(s) will be stored.

If you move regularly then you need to notify the Gardaí so your renewals and other paperwork is sent to the right address. If you do this via the FCA2 and fill out the change of address i'd suggest a note on a separate sheet of paper to let them know that the firearm(s) are still stored at the original storage address and the change of address is only for notification purposes and not that the firearms are now stored elsewhere.

Advertisement