Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Citizenship through Naturalisation (NEW AUG'16)

Options
  • 29-08-2016 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

Although there are plenty of threads about this, the whole process for Irish Citizenship through Naturalisation have changed, as a new Form 8, version August 2016 was released and there are some changes in relation to the previous versions.

The main change in my opinion is that now, applicants must submit with the form the originals of their passport(s).

I am happy to do this, but I understand that the whole process can take more than 6 months to be fully completed, so my question is, do they keep my passport during the 6 months or they review the same within weeks and then return the same?

I would like to spend a week away with my family somewhere in Europe and I might have to go to the UK on business, so I am just wondering if anyone would know how this work?

Thanking you in advance,

Leo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

lchang wrote: »
    Hi all,

Although there are plenty of threads about this, the whole process for Irish Citizenship through Naturalisation have changed, as a new Form 8, version August 2016 was released and there are some changes in relation to the previous versions.

The main change in my opinion is that now, applicants must submit with the form the originals of their passport(s).

I am happy to do this, but I understand that the whole process can take more than 6 months to be fully completed, so my question is, do they keep my passport during the 6 months or they review the same within weeks and then return the same?

I would like to spend a week away with my family somewhere in Europe and I might have to go to the UK on business, so I am just wondering if anyone would know how this work?

Thanking you in advance,

Leo

They are normally quite good at responding to emails, last time I had a question for them, I got a reply same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

I too would like to know the answer to this, and if you get your original passport back?

Planning on dual citizenship with Ireland and it appears when you apply for an Irish drives license they want to take my US license permanently, if im a dual citizen why wouldn t I continue to use my US license while in the states? Seems odd, or maybe I misunderstood

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I too would like to know the answer to this, and if you get your original passport back?

Planning on dual citizenship with Ireland and it appears when you apply for an Irish drives license they want to take my US license permanently, if im a dual citizen why wouldn t I continue to use my US license while in the states? Seems odd, or maybe I misunderstood

With the Driving Licence, you have three choices
    • Drive here on American Licence
    • Do Irish Driving Test and (if/when you pass) get an Irish Licence
    • Trade your American one for an Irish one (no need for Test)

You could of course surrender your American one, and then get it re-issued again in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

You'll get it back, probably fairly quickly.

• Advertisement

Thanks Gerard, I know you can only use your US license in Ireland for up to 12 months, not really a bother as im not planning to leave Ireland once the 5 year naturalization process has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lchang

As Gerard mentioned, they are very quick in responding emails. I got all my responses on the same day.

In relation to the passports, they mentioned that they should review them and return within 3 weeks, so it is alright to wait.

Cheers all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

With the Driving Licence, you have three choices
    • Drive here on American Licence
    • Do Irish Driving Test and (if/when you pass) get an Irish Licence
    • Trade your American one for an Irish one (no need for Test)

You could of course surrender your American one, and then get it re-issued again in the states.

No, you cannot trade your American license for an Irish license without passing a test. It is not accepted. Americans still have to get the learner's permit, use L plates, take the full round of driving lessons, take the driving test to get a full license, and use N plates for two years, just like any new driver. If the American license is still valid, the driver can use it for 12 months in Ireland if they are a visitor, but it is invalid thereafter and/or if they are a resident.

speed, true but you can present your US license and a letter of entitlement from the state DMV and forgo the six month waiting period, helps a little I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

speed, true but you can present your US license and a letter of entitlement from the state DMV and forgo the six month waiting period, helps a little I guess

I did get the letter, in fact. But I had to learn to drive manual when I got here, and I hadn't ever learned it, so there went my six months. Thirty years ago my dad said, "Stick shift? You'll never need to know that. All cars will be automatic within five years". Thanks, Daddy. :)

• Advertisement

The fact you were able to get a letter is a miracle, once I saw that requirement, well, id just rather wait the six months than fight the DMV

I prefer manual shift vehicles but they are becoming more and more rare in the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Anilem

Hi There,

how long did it take to get your original passport back ? was it 3 weeks as you stated before ?

Advertisement