Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions about my new rescue dog

• 29-08-2016 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi We just rescued a collie x. from pound, (I'd say around 5 years old) she was neutered a few days earlier and she seems a bit unwell, very low energy and her wound was still oozing yesterday (seems a bit better today) she has not eaten since Friday and not poo'd. She pees a lot, seems to be trying a lot but not always succeeding. She is also peeing indoors. Should we be worried? Is this normal after neutering?
    My next question is to do with our cat, she clearly doesn't like cats, will chase it as soon as she sees it, quite aggressive, (its the only time she has shown energy since we got her!)the poor cat has been staying away for the last few days, is it possible to train a rescue to tolerate the cat and stop chasing her?
    I'm feeling a bit annoyed with the pound for letting us take her home if she wasn't well, and not informing us she wasn't suitable for cats. But I know the pound is different than a rescue shelter and they just want the dogs homed asap. I have to be honest I'm having a bit of buyers regret. THe main reason we got a dog was for my son to play with and she has shown no interest in him. But I know that could be just due to her recovery and settling in. I'm very torn at the moment and dont know what to do. Is it jsut a matter of time and settling in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I have never had a female dog, only male dogs, so I haven't been through the in depth process that females go through... but yeah, no, that doesn't sound right. I think you need to at least call your vet who did the neutering.

You got a mature Collie x presumably from an unknown background, Collies are herders, cats tend to run, therefore cat = a fun time. You need her to learn a different behaviour, something that is more rewarding than chasing a cat. It would be worth getting a trainer to do a one to one session for you to be able to show you how to handle this situation, but you should only do it once she is well again. If you give your general location/county here I'm sure someone could suggest you a good trainer in your area. Doesn't surprise me that she can still chase the cat, even when a dog is unwell, something that gives them an adrenaline rush can help them push past how terrible they may be feeling, instinct is strong!

Also give the cat ample access to get away. When a cat is scared, they usually want to go somewhere high, such as a bookshelf, mantelpiece or cat tree.

I don't believe the pounds are able to assess dogs for anything more than being hostile towards people or not, they usually do not have the man power nor people experienced enough to do such assessments, most of the dogs that come in have a largely mysterious background. Usually rescues are able to do some assessments, depending on the rescue of course, often it's based on feedback from foster homes.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Thanks for the reply, I'm in Mullingar Co. Westmeath. I'm considering contacting the pound and offering to just foster her until a more suitable home comes up. Feel terrible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

scrgirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, I'm in Mullingar Co. Westmeath. I'm considering contacting the pound and offering to just foster her until a more suitable home comes up. Feel terrible though.

It's okay! You did a great thing in getting her out of a bad situation. I'm not sure if pounds do fostering, you would be better off contacting a local rescue to your area and mention the situation to them in detail and that you are happy to foster until a more suitable home/foster comes along.

It is always worth to keep in mind what breed or mix the dog is you are taking on and the traits that often come with them. For example if you got a beagle, you would know they are hounds so it's common for their noses to be attached to the ground. If you got a husky you would know they are born to run, physical exercise is high on their list of priorities. And the same for Collies, they are born to herd and chase moving things. Of course you get exceptions to these rules, but it's always in your best interest to try and find a dog that suits your lifestyle!

But I do stress that you need to make sure she is physically OK right now above anything else. It's not exactly normal to not eat for 3 days. It wouldn't be normal for a human to not eat for 3 days!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

When is she due back for a checkup - my vet checks the stitches every few days and would always always ALWAYS make it clear than any oozing, swelling, or the dog being unwell or out of sorts like you describe means call them to bring the dog in to be checked asap. My dog has has a good few general anaesthetics at this stage and it's always taken him a few days to poo afterwards. When my girl was spayed she was sleepy that night and fine from then on - no oozing or having accidents in the house and fine for energy levels.

She probably feels like crap and is in a lot of pain so maybe give her a little time to get over the operation and get used to you before deciding what to do. Depending on how soon after a heat she was spayed she could be having false pregnancy too so that may be why she doesn't want the cat anywhere near?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Give the dog a chance until the effects of the operation wear off and she is back to herself. Its a big op, my female was all over the place for a while after it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

bmwguy wrote:
    Give the dog a chance until the effects of the operation wear off and she is back to herself. Its a big op, my female was all over the place for a while after it.

This. Even without the op, it's *very* early days, OP. Add in the fact that she's had major surgery and I think you're being very premature in thinking of getting rid of her. Spaying is a far, far bigger op than a lot of people realise; it's not like neutering where they just take the testes, she's had her entire reproductive system removed.

Definitely get her checked out to make sure there are no issues with her wound. Then just give her the time she needs to recover physically before you even begin to worry about how she's adapting to your house.

And for what it's worth, my *extremely* nervous rescue didn't eat, wee or poo for days after we brought her home. And that was after a three-night stay in my own vet because she was still really sick when she left the pound vet. The fact of the matter is that the pound generally will let them go even if they're still quite poorly because A) the pound really isn't the place for a sick dog and B) they can't/won't pay for them to stay any longer in the vet they use than they absolutely have to.

When my vet rang me to say he'd be keeping Gracie in for a few days because she was so sick he was absolutely livid that the pound's vet had released her in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Trying my hardest not to be too harsh here but spaying is major surgery. Did you get her spayed yourself?

I'm also surprised it never occurred to you that an adult dog might not be cat friendly or particularly fond of children. I don't think pounds check this. Give her more time though to recover. It is very early days!

Knine wrote: »
    Trying my hardest not to be too harsh here but spaying is major surgery. Did you get her spayed yourself?

I'm also surprised it never occurred to you that an adult dog might not be cat friendly or particularly fond of children. I don't think pounds check this. Give her more time though to recover. It is very early days!
    No she was spayed by the pound. She is good with my son just not that interested as I said could be just due to her recovery. That's why I came on here to get other opinions. No decision has been made at all just looking for advice.

No she was spayed by the pound. She is good with my son just not that interested as I said could be just due to her recovery. That's why I came on here to get other opinions. No decision has been made at all just looking for advice.

I'm surprised a pound let her out to you so soon after being spayed. I would have her with the Vet tomorrow and have her wound checked, as I feel it shouldn't be oozing.

I cannot advise about the cat situation, but Well Done for taking a rescue and good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I've been there. There is a thread here which details my misery as (despite months of prior research and taking a dog fostered by a rescue), I was completely unprepared for our first rescue dog. After settling in for a couple of weeks she developed separation anxiety which she never showed in foster, tried to claw her way though doors and was generally seriously unhappy. I can't really blame her - I'd recently moved house and although I'd chosen to make the move, I was a bit unsettled and lonely. I've no idea how confused and upset she felt at being uprooted again from the foster home where she'd started to feel safe.

Obviously you need to get your dog medically well. Then you can look at the other issues, but don't panic.

We took in a couple of fosters to trial our first dog with other dogs, and each foster that came in was a completely different dog at day one compared to the day they left. There's a piece by Patricia McConnell on the "Three days, three weeks, three months" changes that new dogs can go through: http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/three-ways-to-confuse-a-new-dog She even admits feeling "adopters remorse" with her dogs and she's an applied animal behaviourist, so you're not alone.

I'm not suggesting things will be easy, or even work out in the end. As Vonvix mentioned, collies are bred to herd (and can show a tendency to herd anything that will move). But don't give up immediately, and maybe give her a chance to show you what she can be? As long as your cat isn't in danger, it might be something you can work on. Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I've been there. There is a thread here which details my misery as (despite months of prior research and taking a dog fostered by a rescue), I was completely unprepared for our first rescue dog. After settling in for a couple of weeks she developed separation anxiety which she never showed in foster, tried to claw her way though doors and was generally seriously unhappy. I can't really blame her - I'd recently moved house and although I'd chosen to make the move, I was a bit unsettled and lonely. I've no idea how confused and upset she felt at being uprooted again from the foster home where she'd started to feel safe.

Obviously you need to get your dog medically well. Then you can look at the other issues, but don't panic.

We took in a couple of fosters to trial our first dog with other dogs, and each foster that came in was a completely different dog at day one compared to the day they left. There's a piece by Patricia McConnell on the "Three days, three weeks, three months" changes that new dogs can go through: http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/three-ways-to-confuse-a-new-dog She even admits feeling "adopters remorse" with her dogs and she's an applied animal behaviourist, so you're not alone.

I'm not suggesting things will be easy, or even work out in the end. As Vonvix mentioned, collies are bred to herd (and can show a tendency to herd anything that will move). But don't give up immediately, and maybe give her a chance to show you what she can be? As long as your cat isn't in danger, it might be something you can work on. Fingers crossed!

thanks so much for sharing your experience and the link. It was really helpful. As for the cat how will I know if she's really in danger? We haven't let the dog get to her so she's always escaped I'd be a bit worried as to what she might do if she did get at her. Poor kitty. But I must stress apart from the cat issue she is the sweetest thing really lovely.

thanks so much for sharing your experience and the link. It was really helpful. As for the cat how will I know if she's really in danger? We haven't let the dog get to her so she's always escaped I'd be a bit worried as to what she might do if she did get at her. Poor kitty. But I must stress apart from the cat issue she is the sweetest thing really lovely.

You could get/borrow a crate & put the cat safely in there & that will give you some idea if you have a big problem! Best not to take any chances with the cats safety. Stair gates make a good escape route for the cat too. Are we talking about a cat that comes indoors?

Knine wrote: »
    You could get/borrow a crate & put the cat safely in there & that will give you some idea if you have a big problem! Best not to take any chances with the cats safety. Stair gates make a good escape route for the cat too. Are we talking about a cat that comes indoors?
    Yes she goes out at night but free to come and go all day. Thanks for the suggestion might try the crate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

A pound is NOT a rescue. They will have very little - if any at all - information about the dogs in their care (or so called care). If your collie is older and chasing the cats aggressively, that's an accident waiting to happen. You need to be very strict with her training - otherwise things WILL go wrong. A crate really should be tried.On a plus side, Collies are very very smart and I've never met any that couldn't be re-trained. Re playfulness, that will come once she feels better and safe. Re wound- Vet- now. Don't wait. Well done for rescuing a dog.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Of course it's going to take a while for a dog and a cat to get used to each other, and introducing a dog to a cat when the dog is in savage pain and clearly unwell…

I'd bring the dog straight to the vet for fear she's infected.

You don't sound (if you'll forgive my saying so) as if you know enough about animals to try to introduce a dog and cat. An acquaintance of mine got a young labrador and her aged cat ran away. A year later, the labrador long gone, the cat came back, half-starved and covered in worms and fleas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Poor girl is probably feeling terrible. She's come from god knows where, into a scary pound, then had surgery which is obviously causing problems/pain (please get her to a vet), and is now in a new home with strange people who she doesn't know whether she can trust or not. She couldn't possible be capeable of being herself.

I dont like generalising, but "in general" collies are not actually aggressive towards cats, they are usually just trying to herd. It's in their working herding genes not to kill , but to herd.
    They can relentlessly chase cats, headbutt them, and they can also appear to snap , but usually its a method of control and not aggression.
    Obviously there are some collies who WILL harm a cat or kill it, and it can be difficult if you've no experience of collies to tell the difference in herding and aggressive behaviour.

Collies are also extremely sensitive dogs, they can scare easily, be sound sensitive, jumpy and a bit neurotic. But if they are treated with understanding, and sensitivity and you gain their trust, they are truly wonderful dogs. They are so loving, kind and loyal. They are also so intelligent and very very funny in their ways.

Its obviously up to you what you decide to do, but at the moment it's way too soon to see this dogs true personality and shes not well on top of that.

Just an update on Willow, she is fully recovered, the next day after I posted here she seemed like a totally different dog. I think we are al starting to bond! Except the cat, still no joy there, have to keep them out of each others site, dog goes out, cat comes in a different door kinda thing!
    Just wondering are any of ye good at guessing the breed mix of dogs? The pound didn't know, just guessed a collie cross, I would love to know what she is crossed with. For a collie she is not very active! Likes a walk but doesn't want to jog with me! If I post a photo would anyone be able to identify? (photos attached, not great quality as she didnt want to sit still.

Lovely dog, looks very like my dog, who's 15/16ths border collie and 1/16th labrador.

I got her and the cat used to each other by keeping the cat upstairs and not allowing the dog upstairs, ever. Less hairy floors upstairs too. I was also very calm about the two of them, and scolded the dog, in a calm way, if she chased the cat, and simply grabbed her if she tried, and said "NO! Bad dog!"

It took about a year, but they were touching noses when my cat was killed on the road :( My dog really missed her, and still loves cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I'd say collie/lab. She'll get used to the cat eventually, and if you are consistent in telling her no when she chases she will learn not to. if she ever catches the cat she'll learn quick enough anyway, it's more likely the cat will give her a swipe (which you don't want either obviously) than she will harm the cat.

Collies take a while to settle in but they are people pleasers and great dogs, she'll be a great addition to the house in time.

actually someone else said collie lab too, I just thought she might be mixed with a smaller dog, as she is smaller than a regular collie, about 40cm in height. thanks for all the replies and suggestions. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

lovely looking dog - thought collie with a bit of spaniel?? Theres another current thread on here with people asking what breed/cross their dog is - have a look.

Your dog when she is settled and over her op looks like her coat could do with a bit of grooming. Will really make a difference, shes such a pretty girl. Take it slowly and introduce a daily brushing maybe? Maybe put some salmon oil in her food for her coat/skin. If shes had a tough time before she arrived at you, she will benefit from some decent quality food too.

As for the cat, early days yet. Distract the dog with something like a piece of seriously delicious treat - let the cat have a look at her. As someone said earlier, dont panic/get excited when the dog sees the cat, calmly talk to the dog telling her NO constantly, you might even put the dog on her harness/leash and wander around with her while the cat is about, pulling her back everytime she thinks to go after the cat, give her a treat, and tell her NO. (You might give the cat a treat when she doesnt bolt too - associating each other with treats will help)

An important thing if I were in your situation would be to make sure your cat feels secure and happy. You don't want the poor cat moving out because she no longer feels safe in her own home.

Clampdown wrote: »
    I'd say collie/lab. She'll get used to the cat eventually, and if you are consistent in telling her no when she chases she will learn not to. if she ever catches the cat she'll learn quick enough anyway, it's more likely the cat will give her a swipe (which you don't want either obviously) than she will harm the cat.

Collies take a while to settle in but they are people pleasers and great dogs, she'll be a great addition to the house in time.

Don't trust this advice. You have no idea of this dogs background. She could well mean business when she chases the cat & kill it if she catches it. Be very careful

It's mainly a question of teaching the dog that the cat is part of the family, and a central, loved and accepted part. When I was a kid we had an Alsatian that regarded cats as vermin: he'd catch them by the neck and jerk them over his shoulder, instantly breaking their necks (if he wasn't stopped in time). Family cats were different, they were friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

She is gorgoues OP. Though I would think a little older than 5, but a hair cut and good grooming will sort that out. Collies are fantastic dogs and she will learn, but if you are unsure, would you consider getting someone in to train you and the dog? And train you how to train the dog, espeicially in terms of the cat chasing issue.
    Potentially think about crate training you dog too.
    The other thing to say is that it will probably take her weeks or months for her to fully settle with you and your family and there may be different personality traits or problems that arise as she settles in.

You mention you got her for your son to play with, what age is your son? If he is young remember that their definitions of paly may differ!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Clampdown wrote: »

If you've ever lived with, dealt with, or attempted to train a dog that chases smaller animals with a view to harming or killing them, and nobody here has any idea whether op's dog falls into this category, then you'd realise that simply crying "no" at the dog is absolutely no good whatsoever.
    If only dealing with training and behavioural problems was as easy as telling the dog "no".
    The more the op's dog gets to chase the cat, the harder it's going to be to get the problem under control. It is imperative that the cat is not put in the position where she has to run away, and equally as imperative that the dog gets no opportunity to chase her if she does run.
    Short, regular interactions op... Dog on lead every time. Even if it means sitting out in the yard with the dog beside you, on-lead, and let them slowly but surely get used to each other without letting the dog run after the cat.
    But most definitely do not let them sort it out between themselves... Not to put too fine a point on it, I've seen too many dogs lose eyes, and way too many dead cats, to take such a risk.

Thanks again for all the replies. I have been keeping the dog and cat separate at all times, any interactions have left the cat quite scared. So I'm nervous about putting her through it. But As DBB said I guess I do have to keep them getting regular interactions. Definitely think aonb might be on to something re spaniel mix. Sillysmiles, my son is nearly 4, he loves playing fetch with other dogs we know, but this lady isnt into ball or stick games at all! Oh I agree she is in need of a good groom, after her stitches are out I'm taking her to doggy parlor to get done. Her coat is lovely and soft but a little matted and tuffty in places. I think over 5 too, the girl in the pound said around 3! No way even if her teeth are good!

Advertisement