Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about the marking system!

Options
  • 29-08-2016 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Ok, I am in a big dilemma. I have finished my second year of college and my overall grades were not great. I start getting really concerned and wish to really spend my next two years getting the best grade I could possibly get.

I got 49% in BOTH years overall, meaning a grade III.

I know that in year 3 I must get an overall grade II -2 to pass , that means a 50% or more,

ok this might be a stupid question but .. does it take into account the other two years? Eg- I got 49 then 49 now I must get 52 to get a 50 overall all 3 years?

Ok, another big question. How do they calculate the overall grade after I finish my 4th year of college?

Lets say I got as said , grade III , grade III .. and in the next two years I get grade II -2.

What grade do I get after I finish 4th year of college? Do they add up all overall grades? If so what would my grade be?

These questions might sound stupid and I would appreciate if somebody who knows the answer might help me understand this.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dontknow5

seems it doesn't let me edit my post for some reason, I am interested in the overall degree , what will it say when I finish college based on my results?

Will it says one final grade or finished with the results: Grade III first year etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

This is a very course-specific question which can be answered in the course handbook which you should have received at some time/will receive in 3rd year.

For example, in most courses that branch out of Science in JS, such as chemistry, plant sciences, etc., your final college grade consists of some part of your 3rd year grade (usually not more than 35%) and then your 4th year grade. This accounts for continuous assessments throughout the 2 final years (labs, group projects), final year dissertation and summer exams in both years. First and second year grades are completely forgotten about and don't count towards your final degree grade.

When you finish it will just say that you got III class or II.1 class or whatever. Some courses will give percentages directly, for some you will need to check the detailed breakdown of each exam and count the average yourself on MyTCD.

This is coming from someone with a science background, I'm not sure how they resolve it in the humanities, but if any percentage of your grade comes from JF and SF results it is bound to be very small compared to JS and SS and you still have 2 years to improve greatly on your final college degree result!

This is a very course-specific question which can be answered in the course handbook which you should have received at some time/will receive in 3rd year.

For example, in most courses that branch out of Science in JS, such as chemistry, plant sciences, etc., your final college grade consists of some part of your 3rd year grade (usually not more than 35%) and then your 4th year grade. This accounts for continuous assessments throughout the 2 final years (labs, group projects), final year dissertation and summer exams in both years. First and second year grades are completely forgotten about and don't count towards your final degree grade.

When you finish it will just say that you got III class or II.1 class or whatever. Some courses will give percentages directly, for some you will need to check the detailed breakdown of each exam and count the average yourself on MyTCD.

This is coming from someone with a science background, I'm not sure how they resolve it in the humanities, but if any percentage of your grade comes from JF and SF results it is bound to be very small compared to JS and SS and you still have 2 years to improve greatly on your final college degree result!

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was doing BESS but I'm thinking of doing Economics as a single degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pandora13

I'm a HistPol and assuming that the structure for BESS is similar, only your grade for the final two years count. Don't worry about the first two years; the grades from your freshman years don't go towards your overall degree as far as I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pandora13

I'm a HistPol and assuming that the structure for BESS is similar, only your grades for the final two years count. Don't worry about the first two years; the grades from your freshman years don't go towards your overall degree as far as I know :)

• Advertisement

Pandora13 wrote: »
    I'm a HistPol and assuming that the structure for BESS is similar, only your grade for the final two years count. Don't worry about the first two years; the grades from your freshman years don't go towards your overall degree as far as I know :)

I hope so. I am planning to take my study really hard now! Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Pandora13 wrote:
    I'm a HistPol and assuming that the structure for BESS is similar, only your grades for the final two years count. Don't worry about the first two years; the grades from your freshman years don't go towards your overall degree as far as I know

That's correct, as far as I remember. Can't remember how much and in what way JS grades count. It used to be that you had to at least get a certain overall mark, I think. Open to correction on that.

Pandora13 wrote: »

I hope so. I am planning to take my study really hard now! Thanks for your reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

BESS is unusual in that the degree grade is based only on the final year.

BESS is unusual in that the degree grade is based only on the final year.

Hey Religion, thanks for your reply! If on third year I only choose economics subjects would it still based only on the final year?

• Advertisement

No, I'm Reason!!

Yep, regardless of what subject or combination of subjects you chose, your "moderatorship" result (ie degree grade) will be based only on final year.

No, I'm Reason!!

Yep, regardless of what subject or combination of subjects you chose, your "moderatorship" result (ie degree grade) will be based only on final year.

Hey "reason vs religion" :) Thanks for your reply

dontknow5 wrote: »
    Hey "reason vs religion" :) Thanks for your reply

So, another doss year then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Although if you want to earn just an 'ordinary degree' (say you drop out or whatever in SS), don't you need to have secured a minimum mark in JS?

If I doss the third year, then I doubt I could get high grades on forth year. Anyway I need to get over 50% overall in third year so no doss!

Although if you want to earn just an 'ordinary degree' (say you drop out or whatever in SS), don't you need to have secured a minimum mark in JS?

You are right, it must be an overall grade of II -2 (50% or more)

dontknow5 wrote: »
    If I doss the third year, then I doubt I could get high grades on forth year. Anyway I need to get over 50% overall in third year so no doss!

Wise words! Good luck

Advertisement