Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric disconnected 6 months - how much to reconnect?

Options
  • 29-08-2016 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Just wondering how much i can expect to pay an electrician for a certificate to confirm status of electrics in an apartment - electric supply has been disconnected over 6 months but not 2 years.

We have been quoted 350 by first electrician we have contacted. He says he has to do checks twice - prior to and subsequent to esb supply being reconnected.

Apparently in addition to electrician's fee we will have to pay 75 on our first bill to esbnetworks also?

Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Should be no more than €200 to get the place certified and both checks done. Despite all the moaning it doesn't take too much time to test the installation, the guy i had around spend more time chatting than working. ESBN charge will be €80. Make sure your addresses are correct on all paper work and they match what ESBN have for the property otherwise RECII will send back the cert for correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Derby1

Thanks DD - 280 sounds a lot better than 430 but both are a bit over the top consudering apartment is only 7 or 8 years old.

Apartment is in Maynooth if anyone fancies putting a bid in for the job or if anyone can recommend someobe - PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Should be no more than €200 to get the place certified and both checks done.

You mean shouldn't be any less than €200 - could easily be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Derby1 wrote: »
    Thanks DD - 280 sounds a lot better than 430 but both are a bit over the top consudering apartment is only 7 or 8 years old.

Apartment is in Maynooth if anyone fancies putting a bid in for the job or if anyone can recommend someobe - PM me.

Does your doctor have an age related charging profile: the work still has to be done.:(

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod note:
    Different opinions are always welcome.
    However you shouldn't limit your posts to just disagree with a point of view, please elaborate / back it up with a few facts / links / calculation etc...
    This has the benefit of giving weight to your argument.

Remember, as per the forum charter please post in a respectful manner.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Mod note:
    Different opinions are always welcome.
    However you shouldn't limit your posts to just disagree with a point of view, please elaborate / back it up with a few facts / links / calculation etc...
    This has the benefit of giving weight to your argument.

Remember, as per the forum charter please post in a respectful manner.

Thank you.
    I based my comments on several facts:

* It can't be done in one visit.
    * A Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) is required. RECs have calibrated test equipment; RECI subscriptions; insurance, etc. (also van costs, tax etc.) to deal with and as such one must expect to pay a premium for all of this.
    * After travelling etc. when each visit is done much of the day will be taken up.

It is unreasonable to assume that all of this could be achieved for a sub- 200 figure which was quoted, and we should not involve ourselves in the race to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Derby1

Thanks for the PM. Just waiting on a quote from a friend and will get back to you.

I was not encouraging a race to the bottom but the quote of 350 clearly included a drink for the agent who recommended him. At that time i didnt realise 2 visits were necessary. But now that i do, i see why the cost is as it is.

One other point to make. I have no reason to suspect there are any issues with the electrics. The apartment has simply been empty for over 6 months. The apartments were only built about 8 years ago so there should be no issues.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have no reason to suspect there are any issues with the electrics. The apartment has simply been empty for over 6 months. The apartments were only built about 8 years ago so there should be no issues.

Theoretically you are correct.
    Unfortunately the reality can be somewhat different. A number of substandard electrical installations were completed during this time (the dying days of the Celtic Tiger).

Would it be possible to list out the tests required during the visits, then people might be better able to understand what drives the time/costs?

Visit 1:-
    Insulation Test / Megger on all circuits
    Check earth to each socket (done with sound bomb + battery at panel, go around house using plug with Live - Earth Short).
    Check bonding to extraneous metal work, boiler etc.. (visual?)
    Visual Inspection of protection devices in board, (MCBO on shower etc..)
    Visual Inspection of sockets & light fittings
    Complete certificate & Send

Visit 2:-
    RCD Trip Current / Times
    Earth Loop impedance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Would it be possible to list out the tests required during the visits, then people might be better able to understand what drives the time/costs?

Visit 1:-
    Insulation Test / Megger on all circuits
    Check earth to each socket (done with sound bomb + battery at panel, go around house using plug with Live - Earth Short).
    Check bonding to extraneous metal work, boiler etc.. (visual?)
    Visual Inspection of protection devices in board, (MCBO on shower etc..)
    Visual Inspection of sockets & light fittings
    Complete certificate & Send

Visit 2:-
    RCD Trip Current / Times
    Earth Loop impedance

I'm pretty sure the REC has to pay RECI for the cert? It might only be a small fee but these small fees add up

• Advertisement

Without getting into all of the details of exactly what the REC has to do there is no getting away from a few fundamentals:

1) This work requires 2 visits and a certain amount of travel time.

2) As the OP has not said anything to suggest that he / she is VAT registered we should assume that all quotes mention are inclusive of VAT. So what does this mean? When you take the VAT out of €200 there is very little margin for the REC :(

A more competitive price may be possible if this could be combined with other electrical work on the same installation.

I was not encouraging a race to the bottom
    I wasn't suggesting that you were, as you obviously are not familiar with the process or what cost is likely.

My comments were directed at the poster who suggested a cap for the price of the work (which to my mind was not realistic).

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the REC has to pay RECI for the cert?

That is correct.

Without getting into all of the details of exactly what the REC has to do there is no getting away from a few fundamentals:

2) As the OP has not said anything to suggest that he / she is VAT registered we should assume that all quotes mention are inclusive of VAT. So what does this mean? When you take the VAT out of €200 there is very little margin for the REC :(

A more competitive price may be possible if this could be combined with other electrical work on the same installation.

I'd actually like to know the work involved.

2) As the OP has not said anything to suggest that he / she is VAT registered we should assume that all quotes mention are inclusive of VAT. So what does this mean? When you take the VAT out of 200 there is very little margin for the REC :(

Essentially a complete initial verification of the electrical installation, notwithstanding the fact that it has already been installed by A.N. Other. This involves a substantial amount of inspection in addition to testing and certification.

If I was doing this? Pretty much what you have described. To be honest I haven't tested or certified a domestic installation in a very long time.
    Off the top of my head, if I were doing this I would:

Carry out a visual inspection, this where I would be most likely to encounter issues IMHO. I would check that all terminations in the main distribution board were tight, wire colours are correct, nothing missing, all as it should be, conductors are the correct sizes, components are fit for purpose, circuits are labeled correctly. Check the terminations in a couple of random sockets. If I found some were loose I would check more. See that conductor sizes look correct in the main DB and that the correct protective devices were selected and correctly installed. Check everything that should be earthed is, check equipotential bonding. See that nothing is damaged. Check that devices are fit for purpose (correct IP rating in bathrooms and outdoors etc...). Check that there are an adequate number of circuits installed. Check that sufficient number of socket outlets are installed. Inspect condition of earth electrode and termination of same. Check that there are no exposed live parts on any equipment. Check for sufficient mechanical protection on all wiring. Frequently cabling that is not UV resistant (such as NYMJ) is exposed to the sun, ensure that this is not the case. If I were to sign my name to this I would need to know that it was correctly wired.

Ensure that everything that should be protected by an RCD is. See that wiring is compliant, socket circuits do not have too many outlets. Check smoke / heat / carbon monoxide detectors, these will require new batteries.

Insulation resistance test, try not to fry anything :)
    Determine which circuit will have the highest earth fault loop impedance value.

Test operation of RCDs, carry out earth fault loop impedance test.

Fill out the required paperwork.

There is quite a bit in ET101:2008 about this. Chapter 61 deals with Initial verification and testing, chapter 62 deals with periodic inspection and testing and chapter 63 deals with certification.

If this installation was wired before the last revision of the regulations came out (2008) I would assume some dispensations may apply as there have been a number of changes, a REC could confirm.

Much of what I have mentioned in this post could be carried out rapidly. I agree that a competent REC would be able to wrap up the pre connection tests and the post connection tests quite quickly.

However I think that if a conscientious REC charges a maximum of €200 inclusive of VAT for this service it will not be worth his while. I certainly would not do this work for so little, I have bills to pay!
    Besides, a race to the bottom is to nobodies advantage.

Advertisement