Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boat fishing in west cork

Options
  • 29-08-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

Got myself a boat recently and have been enjoying pottering about in Dunmanus Bay. Started a bit of fishing for mackerel with a line of the side but now I have been wondering what else I could be fishing for and what I would need.
    Was wondering if there would be anybody out here who could point me in the right direction or even give me some hints and tips.
    Would I be able to catch something interesting in the bay or would I have to venture out further ? I would also be able to use the boat in roaring water bay.
    Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bazza85g

God, where to start. I'm amazed you didn't get a response to this question.
    Basically, that part of West Cork is a boat anglers paradise. You can realistically expect 15+ species and boxes full of fish and some very sore arms.

My advice is to go out with a good skipper on a day charter a couple of times. Tom Collins in Union Hall and Kieran Collins in Baltimore are very very good and hard working skippers. Just watch what the other lads are doing and ask questions and then copy that.

Have you a rod and reel?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

jaapbond wrote:
    Got myself a boat recently and have been enjoying pottering about in Dunmanus Bay. Started a bit of fishing for mackerel with a line of the side but now I have been wondering what else I could be fishing for and what I would need. Was wondering if there would be anybody out here who could point me in the right direction or even give me some hints and tips. Would I be able to catch something interesting in the bay or would I have to venture out further ? I would also be able to use the boat in roaring water bay. Thank you for reading.

Dunmanus bay never seems to fish well.go out the other side of the head in bantry bay and theres lots of species.lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

Could you give some advice within Bantry Bay? I frequently visit there on holidays and would love to catch some other species than the standard mackerel and pollock!
    Is there any blue shark in the bay or tope?
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
    Also fishing from a boat.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Could you give some advice within Bantry Bay? I frequently visit there on holidays and would love to catch some other species than the standard mackerel and pollock!
    Is there any blue shark in the bay or tope?
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
    Also fishing from a boat.
    Mike

Fish the stretch of water along the airstrip. Loads of dogs there mixed with good huss and thornback rays. P

.red. wrote:
    Fish the stretch of water along the airstrip. Loads of dogs there mixed with good huss and thornback rays. P

+1the airstrip.

• Advertisement

I will give that area a try during the summer. I presume strips of mackerel is the way to go?

I will give that area a try during the summer. I presume strips of mackerel is the way to go?

Mack, sandeel or crab

Do you know where I might be able to buy crab and sand eel in Bantry or nearby?

Do you know where I might be able to buy crab and sand eel in Bantry or nearby?

Not a clue. Where will you be coming from?
    If I could only bring one bait to bantry it'd be mackerel. I'd happily fish there with just fresh macks, proper fresh tho, not from the supermarket. 2nd choice would be good quality sandeel. Crab will get fish but I'd only bring some of I had them left over in the fridge.

I'm traveling from Dublin. My local shop sells frozen crab and sand eel which I could bring down with me. I would prefer fresh but frozen seems the only workable option. There will no shortage of mackerel bait 100% fresh!! ����

• Advertisement

Is there any hope of catching blue shark within the bay?

Is there any hope of catching blue shark within the bay?

Probably out towards the mouth of the bay towards castletown.cant remember ever hearing of them being caught but surely must be out there.bit early yet id say.

Advertisement