Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school and lunch money or lunch

Options
  • 29-08-2016 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

HI there.

Oldest son starts seconday school tomorrow. When I was there 25 years ago ingot 1 pound 20 p to pay for my lunch.

What do people do know. Is it a higher amount or is bringing in lunch the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I was in secondary school(from the mid 2000's) the vast majority of people went down town for their lunch. People generally had €3-€5 a day. A few people brought a sandwich/snack for the earlier break or got somethin eat in the school shop/deli.
    The odd few only had Mammies Sandwiches!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

When I was in secindary schoil(from the mid 2000's) the vast majority of people went down town for their lunch. People generally had €3-€5 a day. A few people brought a sandwich/snack for the earlier break or got somethin eat in the school shop/deli.

I imagine this was also during the Celtic Tiger. In my experience from later years most lads brought their own lunch and bought lunch themselves maybe once or twice a week, or if they brought lunch they might by the odd 50c cookies down in Tesco. Only the rich kids would buy their lunch everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Depends on the school really.

Do they have a canteen where they serve food? If not, then I'd agree with freshpopcorn above.

The_Mac wrote: »
    I imagine this was also during the Celtic Tiger. In my experience from later years most lads brought their own lunch and bought lunch themselves maybe once or twice a week, or if they brought lunch they might by the odd 50c cookies down in Tesco. Only the rich kids would buy their lunch everyday.

I was in secondary school from 2005-2011. Those who were given money in 2005 were given money when the recession hit. Nobody was practically well off. I'm often in town(small country town) during school time and I find people buying their lunch as much as pre and post recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

In the school I work in most students bring lunch , maybe 30 % buy lunch, I would say they spend about €3 or €4 a day on pure rubbish - jambons, sausage rolls, curry chips etc...
    Not a chance I would be giving my child €20 a week for the next 6 years to spend on that. Let him make his own, a euro for a treat on Friday ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Mine bring lunch Mon-Thurs and go to the town on a Friday. They get €10 a week pocket money and pay for their lunch out of this. Most of their friends do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

In the school I work in most students bring lunch , maybe 30 % buy lunch, I would say they spend about €3 or €4 a day on pure rubbish - jambons, sausage rolls, curry chips etc...
    Not a chance I would be giving my child €20 a week for the next 6 years to spend on that. Let him make his own, a euro for a treat on Friday ,

Sorry just to ad , this is all from school canteen , they aren't allowed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

The_Mac wrote: »
    Only the rich kids would buy their lunch everyday.
    HI there.

Oldest son starts seconday school tomorrow. When I was there 25 years ago ingot 1 pound 20 p to pay for my lunch.

What do people do know. Is it a higher amount or is bringing in lunch the norm?

This is the weirdest thread ever...

Mammy's sandwiches??? Rich Kids????

At the op, the price of food has gone up since 1991.
    How about some sandwiches, fruit and water?
    Or else, give your child a slight bit more than £1.20 punts to get something in the local shop each day

Sorry just to ad , this is all from school canteen , they aren't allowed out.

In my experience when people aren't allowed out nobody really bothers buying their lunch in school!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭claregal1

First years normally aren't allowed out for their lunch - If there is a school canteen it's usually a subsidised canteen . I give my youngest between €4 and €5 a day and he brings a snack and drink from home for his first break .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 DeiseMan4

I go to a school here that you're not allowed out either (Ardscoil) but a lot buy there lunches. They're expensive though about 6 quid so people just end up getting 6 sausage rolls for 4 quid and save the 2. Some get money off their parents and buy a pack of maryland cookies for a quid and save the rest for drink and fags. Best way is for a packed lunch except friday. This isn't an issue now (hopefully) but something to think about later.

Advertisement