Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost for renovation + 25sqm new extension on a 1970 mid-terrace house in Dublin?

Options
  • 29-08-2016 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, could you please help me with a ballpark figure for the following renovation on a 2 bedroom mid-terrace ex-council house (70sqm, built in 1970) in Dublin? Also, how long could the works take?

- replumbing & new central heating system (with new gas boiler and radiators)
    - rewiring
    - new door opening through a load-bearing wall
    - knocking down a couple of internal plaster walls (2 mt width each, non load-bearing)
    - building a new bathroom downstairs (implies digging a new sewer pipe, about 4mt far from the actual main sewer line) with toilet+bidet+shower+basin; fixtures provided by me
    - full renovation of the actual bathroom upstairs; fixtures provided by me
    - external insulation of front and back of the house + roof insulation

Extension:
    - new 25sqm extension, builder finish, with 3 large skylights
    - sewer line will need to be moved out of the new extension area

I will do the final decoration by myself (removing old carpet/wallpaper, new flooring, painting the walls and other finishes), so this is out of the figure.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

€120/170k

6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why external insulation? You'll save money going with internal insulation. And put the savings towards new Windows which you don't seem to be getting, or put the money towards solar tubes for hot water

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lisergic

ted1 wrote: »
    Why external insulation? You'll save money going with internal insulation. And put the savings towards new Windows which you don't seem to be getting, or put the money towards solar tubes for hot water

Hi ted1,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will actually need external insulation because I don't want to sacrifice internal space - the rooms size is quite small and I need to save any cm. Secondly, I'd like to take the chance to renovate also the external looking of the house thanks to the external insulation.
    Windows have been upgraded quite recently by the previous owner, so that's why I don't need to change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lisergic

BryanF wrote: »
    €120/170k

6 months

ouch this seems quite a lot!
    Where could I save budget in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP:
    Mid terrace so have u checked with planners re EWI out front?
    Solar thermal panels are over priced and don't make economic sense in most cases.

If stuck for space, maybe look at a combi boiler and no hot press.

If going EWI, consider moving windows out
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100836571

Re saving money, prioritise on the projects, not at the expense of the insulation/airtightness

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭scwazrh

We are currently doing a project similar to this -
    it includes the following-

- 22 sqm single storey , single room extension left ready for painting and flooring
    - new door opening through a load-bearing wall into extension
    - new bathroom in one of the existing ground floor rooms
    - full renovation of the upstairs bathroom
    - attic insulation

Our contract price is at 58k inc vat

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

scwazrh wrote: »
    We are currently doing a project similar to this -
    it includes the following-

- 22 sqm single storey , single room extension left ready for painting and flooring
    - new door opening through a load-bearing wall into extension
    - new bathroom in one of the existing ground floor rooms
    - full renovation of the upstairs bathroom
    - attic insulation

Our contract price is at 58k inc vat

sorry for digging this thread up.

Were you happy with the extension work in the end?

Advertisement