Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant identity!

Options
  • 29-08-2016 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, first time in here. Found this plant in an old garden, Co. Galway. About 6-8 ft tall, clean stems, almost bamboo-like, pendulous flowers. Any idea as to what it might be?......Thanks.

29246453881_9757def5cf_c.jpg

28704390963_656e6b3b55_c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Himilayan honeysuckle aka pheasants eye, lovely plant imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

leycesteria Formosa. It will self seed freely all over the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Also called Pheasant Berry. Great attraction for birds in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Thanks to all, it's growing on the grounds of a 'big house', burned in 1921, so it has survived almost a century without attention. I'll try a few cuttings now that I know what it is. Thanks again.........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lovely plant with attractive flowers and good for wildlife...but once you have even looked at it it will grow in your garden. With enthusiasm. Give it a good sized corner to get on with it. Cut it down to ground level annually and ruthlessly pull up any small plants you see!

Edit, well maybe not exactly ground level, that would probably encourage it to send up suckers. But cut it back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

looksee wrote: »
    Lovely plant with attractive flowers and good for wildlife...but once you have even looked at it it will grow in your garden. With enthusiasm. Give it a good sized corner to get on with it. Cut it down to ground level annually and ruthlessly pull up any small plants you see!

I have one growing in my garden. Wow! They grow huge! When should I cut it to ground level?

Any time you like really, they are pretty much unkillable. But you may as well wait until the berries have finished so the birds can eat them and cut it in the spring. However for maximum flowers you might want to leave some recent branches and just prune out the old canes. I have to admit I have never really paid much attention to technical aspects of pruning it, I just slash it down when it starts to annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

If you Google Himalayan Balsam you might think twice before importing it into your garden.
    I am presently trying to eradicate it from my garden after reading up on it.

If you Google Himalayan Balsam you might think twice before importing it into your garden.

Himalayan Balsam is a different plant to the Honeysuckle though.

Blondie919 wrote: »

I'm not taking any chances. I already have a Japanese knotweed problem so a little paranoid now about anything that is very invasive.

• Advertisement

I'm not taking any chances. I already have a Japanese knotweed problem so a little paranoid now about anything that is very invasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Thanks to all, it's growing on the grounds of a 'big house', burned in 1921, so it has survived almost a century without attention. I'll try a few cuttings now that I know what it is. Thanks again.........

Am not sure it would grow from cuttings.
    You might be better off looking for a few young plants and digging them up in the autumn or spring. As people have said it seeds everywhere so there should be plenty of small ones around. If not, collect a few ripe seeds and sow them.

This is not Himalayan Balsam. I have it in my garden over 40 years. A wonderful structural colourful wildlife friendly plant.

Dave, it grows readily from seed. Plant up a few berries in a month or so.

It also grows easily from cuttings. Put a few cuttings in water till they sprout roots then plant out.

Himalayan Balsam is a very pretty plant with pink flowers but it spreads along waterways and clogs them up.

looksee wrote: »
    It also grows easily from cuttings. Put a few cuttings in water till they sprout roots then plant out.

Absolutely it grows from cuttings. I got some from my mam and the cuttings survived a journey of 140km in a motorbike topbox. I planted them in 2015 at it's about 5 foot tall and growing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I have one growing in my garden. Wow! They grow huge! When should I cut it to ground level?

Where in Galway are you based, I would love to get a few cuttings. Or anyone in the mayo area that could give me a few? :o

Thanks

Try posting in the seed swap sticky at the top of the forum.

Advertisement