Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a house in County Limerick

• 30-08-2016 9:11am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone!
    So myself and my good wife are looking to buy a house in the coming months. Limerick, North Cork or South Clare. I work from home and she works in the city centre.

What are the towns that are best to buy in terms of amenities and for kids?

What estates around the city are friendly and nice for families?

We are a quiet couple and only have a few friends (and that is who people normally ask :D )

Also, if there are areas to avoid (for whatever reason), a PM would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Have a look around Ballina in Co. Tipp, 25 mins from the city centre and it's a really nice area. Prices tend to be a little lower than the city also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Cratloe, crecora, kildimo, adare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Cratloe, crecora, kildimo, adare.

Caherconlish, patrickswell, clarina, croom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

If you work from home...do you need a good broadband connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Why suffer (or let your wife suffer!) a commute? Live in town. There's great communities in the city and it's a good place to rear kids, enjoy a social life, have access to leisure and cultural amenities, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

zulutango wrote: »
    Why suffer (or let your wife suffer!) a commute? Live in town. There's great communities in the city and it's a good place to rear kids, enjoy a social life, have access to leisure and cultural amenities, etc.

Your starting to sound like a broken record. You do know that people living outside concrete jungles do enjoy life too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Your starting to sound like a broken record. You do know that people living outside concrete jungles do enjoy life too.

Where did I suggest they don't? Just pointing out the positives of living in the city. Keep your knickers on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Phone coverage and broadband would probably be your main concern if you work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Avoid Newcastlewest, it is an awful dilapidated dump, full of all sorts of undesirables. Charleville would be handy for commuting to limerick, plenty of amenities. Foynes is a nice place and fairly close to the city but it would be lower on the amenity scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Avoid Newcastlewest, it is an awful dilapidated dump, full of all sorts of undesirables. Charleville would be handy for commuting to limerick, plenty of amenities.

Spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Thanks for teh suggestions so far all. We strongly dislike NCW anyways so not looking at it. Actively looking at Charleville and a few other areas mentioned.

Yes, broadband connectivity is a major deal as I am working from home - should have stated this earlier.

Regarding Adare, is the traffic in the morning and afternoon as bad as it's made out to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Thanks for teh suggestions so far all. We strongly dislike NCW anyways so not looking at it. Actively looking at Charleville and a few other areas mentioned.

Yes, broadband connectivity is a major deal as I am working from home - should have stated this earlier.

Regarding Adare, is the traffic in the morning and afternoon as bad as it's made out to be?

Midleton in Cork is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Midleton in Cork is nice.

Ya it is, and the four hour daily commute on the worst major road in the country will just zip by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I wouldnt call Charlivelle a comfortable commuting distance from Limerick city centre. 30 minutes to Raheen and then stuck in traffic for another 30 at least.

South East Clare is nice, Ardnacrusha, O Briens Bridge, Clonlara, Truagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

FutureGuy wrote: »

It is pretty bad in winter and a nightmare in summer. I thought that ncw and charleville would be fairly similar no? There are a lot towns a lot nearer that I'd live in before there.

On the Clare side, the obvious ones are Shannon, Ennis and Killaloe/Ballina. Although not really a town Cratloe might be worth a look. Not a bad spot and very near the city.

Of the Limerick towns, have you considered Castleconnell? I don't think many of the others are worth considering. Maybe Adare, but the traffic there is a mess.

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I wouldnt call Charlivelle a comfortable commuting distance from Limerick city centre. 30 minutes to Raheen and then stuck in traffic for another 30 at least.

South East Clare is nice, Ardnacrusha, O Briens Bridge, Clonlara, Truagh.

Never takes me 30mins to get to the city center from the motorway. Waterford exit, turn left up the Ballysimon road and it's a straight shot in. Charleville has the advantage of being convenient for both Limerick and Cork now that Buttevant is finally sorted out. Train connection to Dublin. Good schools. Lots of amenities. Houses at realistic prices. Hard to beat imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Kildimo, Clarina, Mungret seem like nice places to live. Not sure about Broadband, I wouldnt say Mungret would be too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No value to be had in Adare if you ask me. Personally, I like NCW and would buy there, but each to their own.

Op, I would second Ardnacrusha for you out of them all, reasonable prices and good location. I was involved in building in Ballyglass Ardnacrusha a number of years ago at this stage, they are good quality builds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Charleville is only 40 mins from Limerick and about an hour to Cork. Train Station is handy too. Few Pubs, Supermarkets, Gym in the Hotel too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm in Castleconnell. 10 minutes to Castletroy, 15-20 minutes to Limerick, and it's nice and quiet.

I also have fibre, albeit at the lower end of the spectrum (about 16 Mbps) but it suits me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is NCW not a major town? Why is it so bad out of interest

bigpink wrote: »
    Is NCW not a major town? Why is it so bad out of interest

Have you ever been there? The place is literally falling apart. There is one street that is practically boarded up from end to end. Crawling in characters that you wouldn't want to know. Horrible atmosphere at night in the pubs etc. Quite frankly the place is flooded with drugs and very undesirable people. Not a place I would want to raise children in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

There is a lot of great places around Limerick to be honest, ballyneety, Killmallock, Bruff, Murroe etc... You would need to move pretty far out, NCW and beyond to be any considerable distance from the city really. Some places do have shocking broadband so approach any country house with caution. My wife's family live less than 1km from the city suburbs and can only get between 0.8mb-1.5mb of speed and that is after being told they would get closer to 5mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

Charleville is a nice little town. In the longer term, its proximity to Cork opens up jop opportunities in a larger city should the need arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm in Castleconnell. 10 minutes to Castletroy, 15-20 minutes to Limerick, and it's nice and quiet.

I also have fibre, albeit at the lower end of the spectrum (about 16 Mbps) but it suits me.

Hi mr e , who have you broadband with in cc, I'm with Vodafone and its real bad , going to change next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,523 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Vodafone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Mc Love wrote: »
    Kildimo, Clarina, Mungret seem like nice places to live. Not sure about Broadband, I wouldnt say Mungret would be too bad.

Clarina was upgraded to fiber this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cian8

We are a family of city slickers living in Caherconlish and we love it. Good fibre broadband, loads of kids and a lovely cafe (Stone Oven) that does great coffee, breakfast, and pizza. You get more house for your buck too in the countryside. We do send our kids to school in the city though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

mitresize5 wrote: »

Who the hell goes into the city centre via Raheen?

I think Ballysimon exit is the fastest way in, turn right to St John's and park near the Market. Only problem lately is that new shop on childers road has clogged things up.

Advertisement