Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protected cycle lanes to schools

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

i assume the urban/rural divide refers to where the pupil lives, rather than the location of the school.

By the same token, I knew a Dublin kid who took the train to Louth to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

I would be in favour of better cycling infrastructure particularly around social/civic spaces such as schools, universities, hospitals and other public amenities.
    Many regular and long time sporting and commuting cycling probably don't care about cycling paths. But these are the 5% or so that are cycling anyway, all year round and regardless of infrastructure.
    There are large cohorts of people who will not cycle out of fear. While campaigns can try to educate these folks I think that well planned infrastructure has the potential to be more successful. Very simply commuting in the absence of large traffic is bliss. Each additional truck, van, bus and car on my commute increases the stress level.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Someone suggested anti-tank mines etc to protect the lanes, they may not be far wrong.

Look at the bus bay outside most primary schools, ziz-zags by the zebra crossings to allow pedestrians to see clearly and you'll find some parents- usually the same crowd every day- parked there. They will invariably open the driver door and lean out to talk to another charmer so that the buses can end up triple parked out on the road.

I have seen parents drive at speed through staff car parks and actually wheel around right in the playgrounds so that little Asbo only has to walk 4 steps to the school door.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Was on Roebuck road yesterday evening - cycle lanes and pavements completely blocked 100m either side around the (I think) the German school. Never mind cyclists forced out into traffic, it was hard to see how someone pushing a buggy would be able to use the pavement. Really wish I had a dashcam, as it was a great example for the need for protected cycle lanes around schools tbh.

Children asked to save the world by walking or cycling to school in wee Portydown

http://www.portadowntimes.co.uk/news/local-news/children-asked-to-save-the-world-by-walking-or-cycling-to-school-1-7544322

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Roadhawk wrote: »

God rest him.

Another report says he was killed after "his bike crashed into a car"

http://www.newstalk.com/Boy-11-killed-after-his-bike-collides-with-car-in-Offaly

Reporters and subs should be taught to use correct language and the sense their mothers taught them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Roadhawk wrote: »
    let's not turn his death into a debating point.

let's not turn his death into a debating point.

Indeed I don't want to do that. But I do want reporters to stop reporting fatal accidents of cyclists as if they're the cyclist's fault. It used to be that language had to be clearly distanced for legal reasons, so until all facts were out "was in collision with" was the format used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Without knowing any of the circumstances around the incident, its impossible to come to any such conclusion!

The Poor family...

RIP little Man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement