Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows sees 4Gb RAM, Speccy/Cpu-z sees 8Gb. Ideas?

Options
  • 30-08-2016 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Quick question for ye, I've had 4x2gb sticks of ram in my desktop for a while now.

This was my build from here in 2011 to give you an idea of what I'm working with
    Total build cost: €590.98 + €30 shipping
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €44.09 [Samsung 850 Evo in there now. ]
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €17.71
    Xigmatek Asgard III Midi Tower - black, ohne Netzteil €32.63
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.17 [now a 500w EVGA]
    4GB-Kit G-Skill Ripjaws PC3-10667U CL9 €33.27 [bought 2 more identical sticks soon after]
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €173.55
    [Hyper 212 Evo Cooler since added]
    ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €100.97
    ASUS EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5, AMD Radeon HD 6870, 1GB, PCI- Express €147.59 [480 Sapphire Nitro+ Arriving today!]

It's in pretty good shape, but recently, and I can't pin point when as I haven't been gaming, but it's only showing 4gb ram available in task manager and computer properties.

http://i.imgur.com/cNcUE4E.png

I shuffled around the slots, and ran memory test and nothing showed up, would it mean 2 of the sticks may have died? I didn't remove them one by one and see yet, which probably would have been a good place to start as I don't have much space in the apartment i'm currently in to setup a test bench properly!

But I'm wondering if you could help me explain why Speccy can see the 8GB?

I've gone and ordered 2 new 4gb sticks which are due in the next week, which should hopefully fix things.

And as an aside...any suggestions for a case around the €50-60 mark that'll fit my Hyper 212 comfortably?

Looking to transplant my current setup into something a bit nicer, as it's pretty dated and untidy inside!

Thanks lads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Run them 1 at a time. Or 2 at a time and see what shows up.

You have a 64bit OS so you should have visibility of all 8gb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Will try it this evening and see, I know for a fact all 8gb were working correctly until very recently as I had all 4 sticks working when they were bought back in 2011/2012 !I

Just can't figure out if something happened to make 2 of them fail recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Did you change your CPU cooler recently? Having the cooler screwed in too tightly to the motherboard can cause issues with your RAM.

Managed to whip open the machine while putting in 480. Shuffled them all around.

Looks like 2 dead sticks. Motherboard seems fine as it detected the two working ones in each slot.

XWHtjT7.jpg?2
    bastards.

Any reason two of them would die together though or is RAM just odd like that? All 4 sticks were identical..?

Either way, I've ordered HyperX FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz, so another question, will I be able to run these in the other 2 slots (keeping like- with-like) or will they cause issues?

Also, on another aside, god I love asides -
    http://i.imgur.com/RqcAxuo.jpg?1
    Is that XFX HD6870 (reference I imagine) worth anything if I tried to sell it?

Still have original box. It's in great nick and was able to work pretty well with BF4 / The Witcher 2 / Other stuff..

I'll be cheeky and bump this for one last piece of advice,

I've two new sticks of Hyper X Fury at 1866mhz, 2x4gb.

I was going to run these in slots 1 and 3.

I was going to keep the 2 working Ripjaws @ 1333 Mhz in slots 2 and 4. to get me a total of 12GB ram. I understand this will mean all 4 will be at the lower speed of 1333 Mhz.

Would I be better off taking out the old ram and leaving in the new one at the higher speed?

From a gaming perspective 8GB should be more than enough with my 2500k and RX 480 for a while more? Or would I notice any noticeable performance difference if I kept the 2 old sticks in as well..

I'm thinking of taking the old ones out and just sticking with the new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

8gb is well beyond enough memory tbh, so take out the 4 for spare or else flog it on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Glad you got it sorted.

Would they be under warranty? Might be worth sending back to manufacturer.

Glad you got it sorted.

Would they be under warranty? Might be worth sending back to manufacturer.

I'd say 2011 might be pushing it as far as a warranty goes!!

Thanks for the help lads!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

jonnycivic wrote: »
    8gb is well beyond enough memory tbh, so take out the 4 for spare or else flog it on :)

new forza specs recommend 12gb, not sure the days of 8 being more than enough will be around much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Shlippery wrote: »
    I'd say 2011 might be pushing it as far as a warranty goes!!

Thanks for the help lads!

you'd be surprised, lifetime warranty on RAM isn't unheard of

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mickalus wrote: »
    you'd be surprised, lifetime warranty on RAM isn't unheard of

http://www.gskill.com/en/warranty

Hopefully this answers it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm at 5.4 gigs active with just one chrome tab open. So I think not anymore to be honest.

I may actually try make use of that lifetime warranty, even if I'd feel slightly like a scabby bastard, but we'll see..

So, one minor qualm - I took out the old 2 sticks 1066 Mhz..and put in the Hyper Fury X's at 1866Mhz thinking I'd be flying it with the new improved ram, however, I was greeted with this upon entering the bios..

DY6TR6Ah.jpg
    6I4DS3rh.jpg

It's reduced the new ram to 1333MHz, now I don't really mind because it works fine, and Windows sees all 8gb and everything's great,.

I'm just wondering if there's a way to get it to run at the higher speed, or is this a motherboard limitation?

Either way, not the end of the world. Everything seems to run fine anyways and the difference is probably negligible.

Doesn't seem to be on the list:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P67%20Pro3/?cat=Memory

Maybe a bios update would sort it though

Doesn't seem to be on the list:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P67%20Pro3/?cat=Memory

Maybe a bios update would sort it though

Yea, I did scan through the list but thought it might "be grand" because I saw Hyper Fury X 1GB stick at that speed and "assumed" the GB sticks would be fine!

Not to worry though. I'll know for again!

Advertisement