Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amstrong Cup 2016/17

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Would that not be counter-productive though?

Say every team starts to sandbag board 1 v Gonzaga. Suddenly Sam Collins is basically playing board 8 v 1700s. Would he bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭macelligott

The 150 point rule has been very successful and I see no reason to change it. I suspect several people would give up Armstrong or Heidenfeld chess were it removed. In fact some might argue there should be a 100 point rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Heard that Blanchardstown were relegated with Phibsboro this afternoon although they did have a strong line up for the last round including John Delaney on B1.
    Full results should flow through later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

It's a free world and if Gonzaga players want to create and maintain a 'superteam', more power to them. Some of the Gonzaga players (Delaney and Murray come to mind) have improved a lot recently. I think this comes from playing on a cohesive and highly-motivated team, and that more than compensates for the low board they have to play on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭sodacat11

ComDubh wrote: »
    It's a free world and if Gonzaga players want to create and maintain a 'superteam', more power to them. Some of the Gonzaga players (Delaney and Murray come to mind) have improved a lot recently. I think this comes from playing on a cohesive and highly-motivated team, and that more than compensates for the low board they have to play on.

No doubt it is good,,,,,,,,,,for Gonzaga. The fact that the league is completely uncompetitive is probably one of the reasons that the Armstrong is so much less than it used to be these days. Cold uncomfortable venues that can be hard to get to is another deterrent as is the amount of games played on Saturdays instead of midweek. Giving up a weekend for a tournament is perfectly worthwhile but giving up a Saturday for just one game, which could end very quickly is a no no as far as I'm concerned.
    How to improve the Armstrong? Reduce it to six boards a match. Play all games in the one venue , two matches at a time, morning and afternoon. Set rating bands for each board or have a maximum average for each team to even things up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

Why do so many strong players play with Gonzaga? Why do players who could be Board 1 on most Armstrong teams prefer to player a lower board with Gonzaga?

A partial answer is simply that Gonzaga actively recruit new players. Who else invited Stephen Jessel to play for them last year?

Gonzaga have set a high bar for winning the Armstrong and the other clubs should try to step up.

Or else come to boards.ie to complain :-)

Advertisement