Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5ft 5 and 17 stone..

• 30-08-2016 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Ok so here we go, I have hit rock bottom. I weighed myself the other day and I am slightly over 17 stone. I am disgusted with myself. I obviously know how I got here, takeaways. chocolate, wine and deli's.

My health is also at risk, I have PCOS from it and also developing sleep apnea. I am on anti depressants and feel like I am so far stuck in a rut I can't get out.

Any tips. I know eat less move more ~ I just wish I could see it.

I am with my partner for three years and we are taking about babies and our future so that should be a goal for me.. but I can't shake my bad habits.

My diet is an absolute disaster ~ I have an office job so my exercise is zero also.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Congrats on reaching step 1, admittal and public declaration.

You should try joining slimming world or similar plenty of people the same as you get good results.
    Also join a gym and get some sessions with a personal trainer who'll guide you on your way and make suitable program

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You can shake your bad habits. You just have to want it enough to make yourself stop making bad choices.

No one forces you to eat takeaways, chocolate, rolls filled to bursting point.

So you need to break down when, where and why the bad choices are being made.

You buy chocolate every time you go to the shop? Then figure out a way to stop needing to go to the shop so often. Then work on not buying chocolate when you do go.

Takeaways because you're tired after work? Batch cook at the weekend so you have some dinners ready to go in the evening.

Prepare healthier lunches at home rather leaving yourself having to go get a sandwich/roll/wrap in the deli (which also means you're less likely to be in a position to buy chocolate).

Get out for a walk in the evening. Or any sort of activity.

But mostly, take ownership of your choices. They're your choices. Which means that if you decide that you want to tackle your weight and make yourself healthier, it's on your terms.

You can do it. You just need to start making those better choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Ok so here we go, I have hit rock bottom. I weighed myself the other day and I am slightly over 17 stone. I am disgusted with myself. I obviously know how I got here, takeaways. chocolate, wine and deli's.
    hi Pecker, welcome to the new start. it might be your millionth time with a fresh start but it can be done.
    My tip, start small, because of the PCOS and anti depressants id advise you go the GP first, tell them that you want to start getting healthier.
    they can advise on referrals to a dietitian to help with the diet for PCOS, hormones play a huge part in cravings so getting that sorted food wise would be a great advantage. last i heard from a friend its the low GI diet for PCOS to keep everything balanced.

My health is also at risk, I have PCOS from it and also developing sleep apnea. I am on anti depressants and feel like I am so far stuck in a rut I can't get out.
    you can, trust me. im a stranger on the internet but it cant be done. i've done it and i was so down when i started it does get easier, you get stronger.
    Any tips. I know eat less move more ~ I just wish I could see it.
    start small, try and go for a stroll on your lunch break, bring in a packed lunch and prepare snacks in advance. its saves my life when someone arrives in with croissants or biscuits to my office.
    I am with my partner for three years and we are taking about babies and our future so that should be a goal for me.. but I can't shake my bad habits.
    again start small but think long term, focus on losing weight to make you the healthiest you can be for getting pregnant, remind yourself when you want to slip of why your doing it of how low you feel now and how you want to feel better.

My diet is an absolute disaster ~ I have an office job so my exercise is zero also.
    this is probably the easiest part, eat food thats normal, i stuck with non processed normal foods, but i had a really good dietitian guiding me.

you can do it with knowledge, support and self love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Dont use "i work in an office" as an excuse for not moving all day, but i agree office work is a very stationary environment. Im a computer programmer and spend a huge amount of my day on my ass, but im active outside of work so it doesn't effect me.

Set yourself a reoccurring meeting in your work calendar every 45-60 minutes to get up and walk for 5 minutes. At the end of your day you will have walked for over 30 minutes.

At lunch time go out for another walk. Start with 5-10 minutes and increase it.

Do you snack while at your desk? If so then bring something healthy to snack on instead. Carrot sticks etc.

Do you need to use a lift to get to your office? If so then start walking up to your floor. If its a lot of floors you dont need to walk all the way. Start with one floor and take it from there.

Do you take a bus to/from work? Maybe get off one stop early and walk the remainder?

Its all about small manageable changes.

When do you mostly get the takeaways? On the way home from work? If there are a lot of takeaways on the way home then maybe consider changing your route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dont use "i work in an office" as an excuse for not moving all day

Yeah, no need to be defeatist about it. I work an office job, but I cycle to and from the office and go to the gym 3-5 days a week, either at lunch or after work. Nothing inherent about an office job that means no exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

Thanks everyone for the reply. I went out and bought myself a scales and I am going to weigh myself every week. Not going to obsess over it. Has anyone tried to Paleo diet? Is it too much of a change? I drive to work, 2 hours a day so cycling isn't an option for now, but I am home every evening so I could go walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Thanks everyone for the reply. I went out and bought myself a scales and I am going to weigh myself every week. Not going to obsess over it. Has anyone tried to Paleo diet? Is it too much of a change? I drive to work, 2 hours a day so cycling isn't an option for now, but I am home every evening so I could go walking.

Forget about following some fancy diet.

Just fix the obvious problems first and the weight will drop off. Its fairly simple to know whats healthy and whats not. If you cook it yourself with ingredients you buy then its going to be healthier than any takeaway you buy.

1. Start moving more. Walking and gradually progress to jogging/running. Maybe join a gym.
    2. Stop eating takeaway, chocolate , sugary drinks (watch how much sugar you add to coffee or tea) etc
    3. Start eating good food that you cook yourself. Keep to the basics to start with (meat + 2 vegetables, eg. Chicken breast, carrots and potatoes) and you can get more adventurous as things go on. The main thing is no greasy takeaway.
    4. Drink more water.

By simply following those 4 steps you are guaranteed to lose weight.

True, I was talking to my boyfriend last night and he said I was the queen of excuses. He is right. I only want to follow some diet as its something to blame when it goes wrong when really its me.

I need to stop throwing my money at things and giving up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What helped me was one of those fitness tracker things that counts your steps and monitors your exercise. I went from 15.5 stone to 13.5 stone in just over a year. That said, I'm a bit of a "gamer" and I kept trying to break my record of steps in one day :D. That said, little things like walking one more bus or metro stop and getting off the bus one stop earlier.

There was also some dietry changes, but not as much as you'd think. Mostly cutting back on beer and orange juice or water instead of coke. Batch cooking and freezing meals as someone said is good idea.

When possible, I'd leave the wallet at home when going to work. Bring just enough coins for busfare and a packed lunch.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

True, I was talking to my boyfriend last night and he said I was the queen of excuses. He is right. I only want to follow some diet as its something to blame when it goes wrong when really its me.

I need to stop throwing my money at things and giving up.

Turning to The X Diet only facilitates making excuses when it doesn't work. It means you allow yourself to be less accountable. "It wasn't for me", "it's too restrictive" etc etc.

You know where the problem foods are and I would venture that you know options that are a lot better. The hard part is the discipline but that gets easier with time and seeing results makes it even easier.

But you need to take control of your choices. Own them. You can't give about the results you get from the choices you make.

The benefit of that is that when you're in the shop and you don't buy the chocolate, you know it can be done because you've just done it. Take that positive and build on it.

You don't need a diet. You just need to start making the right choices where you already know you're making the wrong choices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Myself and my better half have been more or less on paleo (somewhere between paleo and low-carb high-fat) for 2 years, if you like savoury food and are happy to cut out bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc. then I really believe it's the easiest to adhere to.

If you like meat, eggs, cheese, nuts(in reasonable moderation), some berries then I think it's pretty comfortable.

One of the hardest things at the beginning myself was saying no to others, thinking that people would somehow think less of you for saying 'no' to chocolate or a pint or whatever.

Best decision I've made in my life by a long shot, some on here aren't a fan of it and that's fair enough, all I can say is that the results for myself and anyone I personally know who eats that sort diet are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

mayordenis wrote:
    Myself and my better half have been more or less on paleo (somewhere between paleo and low-carb high-fat) for 2 years, if you like savoury food and are happy to cut out bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc. then I really believe it's the easiest to adhere to.

For the OP to go from her current diet to Paleo/HFLC would be a disaster. She needs to make small, managable changes that she can stick to, at least at the beginning. All she'll do is fall off the wagon spectacularly if she dives straight into a food group restriction diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

mayordenis wrote: »

If you like meat, eggs, cheese, nuts(in reasonable moderation), some berries then I think it's pretty comfortable.

One of the hardest things at the beginning myself was saying no to others, thinking that people would somehow think less of you for saying 'no' to chocolate or a pint or whatever.

Best decision I've made in my life by a long shot, some on here aren't a fan of it and that's fair enough, all I can say is that the results for myself and anyone I personally know who eats that sort diet are very good.
    Dial Hard wrote: »
    For the OP to go from her current diet to Paleo/HFLC would be a disaster. She needs to make small, managable changes that she can stick to, at least at the beginning. All she'll do is fall off the wagon spectacularly if she dives straight into a food group restriction diet.

Can't say I agree with you! I have also had great results over the last couple of years by significantly reducing my intake of carbs and increasing my protein and fat! I no longer feel the constant hunger pangs that I felt when trying to stick to a "calorie controlled" diet.
    Also, for me at least, completely cutting out a particular food is much easier than trying to reduce my intake of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

OP

Speaking from person experiance, try to stay away from restriction diets like Paelo. You need a certain amount of carbs in your diet. I found that Paelo was good at the start, but then you learn to overeat on the food you are allowed. Dont start anything that you dont think its possible to stay on 48 weeks of the year for the rest of your life.

I think a portion management diet is more sustainable. I think a single weekly cheat meal is important. I think alcohol should be kept to a minimum as it causes loss of willpower and overeating at the time and the day after.

Everything in moderation, even moderation but remember moderation is a lot less than you think it is.

Good luck and enjoy the rapid weight loss at the start, its such a motivator.

For some people it works, no doubt. But in light of what the OP has said, I don't think switching to something like paleo would work right now.

They may gravitate towards it over time if it works but I don't think it's the way to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DJ WIPEOUT

1. Look at the quality rather than the quantity of food you are eating. If you put bad fuel into a high performance engine it is going to diminish the engine's performance over time! Forget all these fad diets and find what's the right food for you over time using a dietician, allergy/food intolerance testing, blood testing etc!

2. Cycling is the best way to build an exercise around your sedentary work routine - even if it's only possible to do it for part of your journey to/from work. Don't get caught up in trying to go to the gym (even with a personal instructor) if it is boring for you. Find a class or team sport where you can be motivated by others as you gain more experience over time.

3. Monitor your progress using the various tracking technology that is available. It forms a part of your reward/feedback system which you need in order to feel progress over time.

In all of the above I have intentionally stated 'over time' as it takes time but with dedication to achieving the same goal I have reached a point where I never wanted to go back to the way I was and trust me it feels fab every day! Now I try to be as lean as I am comfortable with whilst getting the most out of life...it breeds confidence! Life is not about an Ironman race, it's about balance!

its a lifestyle change OP needs not a fad diet that will be replaced in a few months.

she needs to learn new habits and learn to treat her body respectfully and to fuel it correctly.

Paleo is fine if you dont over eat.

its terrible if you have a tendency too.

The funny thing is, and that hardest thing to believe is is that I don't eat that much but what I do eat is 100% bad for me. I might pick at my dinner and not be full but then will have 2 x bags of crisps and a bar ~ and seem to get more satisfaction from it.

My O/H is very supportive but he must think god she eats desperate, he is very athletic, mountain bikes 4 times a week and is a rowing coach.

The funny thing is, and that hardest thing to believe is is that I don't eat that much but what I do eat is 100% bad for me. I might pick at my dinner and not be full but then will have 2 x bags of crisps and a bar ~ and seem to get more satisfaction from it.

My O/H is very supportive but he must think god she eats desperate, he is very athletic, mountain bikes 4 times a week and is a rowing coach.

it happens some people think if your overweight you must eat all the time, sometimes its just the wrong choices or the wrong times/amounts.

its like training your brain to enjoy new foods.

i dont snack anymore on sweets or crisps and i was a total savoury head! id clean off a packet of kettle crisps easily! i just had to learn new habits.

• Advertisement

A few weeks ago, there was some show called Secret Eating, or something liek that, where there was this girl who couldn't figure out how she was putting on weight. She'd have a nice home cooked dinner every evening and all!

The home cooked dinner was something like 450 calories.

The problem was the two chocolate bars she ate beforehand and the packet of crisps and bar that she ate after. She had eaten twice as many calories either side of the dinner as there was in the dinner.

The most effective changes she made were just cutting out the junk.

The first thing you need to do is stop having crisps and bars in the house. You can't eat them if you don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm the same height as you and only a few pounds heavier. I've been everywhere from being 10 and a half stone to just under 18 stone.
    I'm going to make an effort now as well with healthy eating and more exercise. Spent last night trying to find my smart watch. When I used to wear it I'd make sure to get my allocated steps in every day. I found it a great motivator to get up and reach my daily goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Lots of good advice there from people who know better than me, so i'll just share my experience. I'd let my weight grow over a number of years and due to a family tragedy had got into a state of not caring. Then I saw myself on a home video and was shocked at the amount of tummy fat peeking out under my top.
    This was stage 1, the recognition (which you're at). I was 2-3 stone in the overweight category.
    Stage 2 was to identify the problem - lack of exercise, snacking between meals, having a takeaway for lunch 1-2 times per week.
    Stage 3 was to prove I could change and lose weight. Previous attempts were short-lived and half-hearted. I got a sensitive scales and had a week of exercise x 4, and counting calories at lunchtime. No takeaways, but a sandwich/wrap from Tesco of no more than 450 cals with fruit afterwards. no snacks. I lost 4 lbs in this week which gave me the confidence to continue. I had some hunger for a couple of days but after that my stomach adjusted to the lighter lunches.
    Stage 4 was to continue and record my weight loss. Exercise 2-3 per week (usually 20 mins on the treadmill along with 5-a-side soccer once a week), no unhealthy treats. If I kept to the lunch plan I could eat the dinners I wanted, within reason. Seeing my weight reduce on a graph was a great visual reinforcer. I lost an average of 2 lbs per week until I hit my target of 35lbs lost.
    Stage 5 is maintenance. I check my weight 3-4 times per week still, four years later and it's never been more than 4 lbs over, and then only for a matter of days before I get it down. I don't exercise much but diet is enough.

It's a simple plan. I concentrate on calories rather than content which is probably not the in thing these days, but it worked for me.

Best of luck! I have the utmost respect for anybody that changes their lifestyle and achieves their goals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Pecker, you need to be 10 stone 8 to be within the correct BMI. You said you're "just over" 17 stone. That would be about 6.5 stone minimum you need to lose. That sounds absolutely scary! But you need to set expectations to reality. A half stone a month is a reasonable amount to aim for (depending on your age*). That means you have between now and the end of September 2017 to fix this. You need to make a commitment to yourself between now and then to stay off the crap. That means: no desserts, no chocolates, no crisps, no sweets, no takeaways, no alcohol.

Some people might say that's harsh and you should allow yourself treats. Look, if treats every now and again work for you then do that, but it will likely delay your weight loss. I prefer to give myself non-food treats when I think I've earned a reward. Food treats are what got me in the shape I am now in the first place. And for me, I could never just stop at one, so instead of having a packet of crisps, I'd eat a full multi-pack. Junk food is like an addiction and having "just one" is often just not feasible. I know I find it much, much easier to refuse to have any than to restrain myself to just one. Soon, you actually get in to the habit of refusing these things.

Get some exercise too, but if you're very unfit, then start yourself slowly - baby steps!

Weigh yourself just once a week. Feel proud of all the achievements and goals you make along the way - first half stone, first 5kg, down in the 16 stones, 10% of the way there, BMI under 30, whatever. I worked out what weight I needed to be to make a range of goals so that every few weeks I've a new one to reach. It gives a great sense of achievement.

After you've cut out the junk and got used to that, and seen the initial results, you may need to look at other things in your diet too, like portion sizes, eating more vegetables, pushing yourself with exercise, etc.

Pecker, I'm where you are. I'm shorter and weighed more than your current weight when I started. I've a long way to go yet, but this is what worked for me. I look forward to the day I've reached my goal, am merely maintaining my weight instead of losing it, and I'll be able to enjoy the odd food treat again.

* I was able to lose weight a lot easier in my twenties then in my thirties. Now, I tend to only lose 1 pound a week, so set your own goal and decide for yourself how long your journey will take - I'd underestimate rather than overestimate your targets that way you get a sense of achievement when you're ahead of target.

Pecker, I'm where you are. I'm shorter and weighed more than your current weight when I started. I've a long way to go yet, but this is what worked for me. I look forward to the day I've reached my goal, am merely maintaining my weight instead of losing it, and I'll be able to enjoy the odd food treat again.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me, its daunting isn't it but I am just going to take it 7lbs at a time. I have a picture at home of when I was 14 stone and that was the last time I liked the way I looked. I am heading for 34 now so now is a good a time as any.

All I want is to be healthy, I never want to fit into a bikini or wear a size 8 jeans but if I am healthy looking and happy on the inside then I am there.

There's a good thread here where people find support from others looking to lose weight and the support can be really helpful.

Sometimes support can be key and having support from your OH is great and also having the support from others on a similar journey can really help and you get to post your successes :)

quickbeam wrote: »
    Pecker, you need to be 10 stone 8 to be within the correct BMI. You said you're "just over" 17 stone. That would be about 6.5 stone minimum you need to lose. That sounds absolutely scary!

Also I know its scary that's why I am here ~ I didn't come here to be judged just wanted advise but thanks

There's a good thread here where people find support from others looking to lose weight and the support can be really helpful.

Sometimes support can be key and having support from your OH is great and also having the support from others on a similar journey can really help and you get to post your successes :)

Pecker, you need to be 10 stone 8 to be within the correct BMI. You said you're "just over" 17 stone. That would be about 6.5 stone minimum you need to lose. That sounds absolutely scary!

my two cents for what its worth, less judgement and more help.
    its not scary, its not that she needs to lose 6.5 stone minimum, so how about until you rock up with your Medical licence how about we leave the 'helpful' judgementalness to one side.

as someone who has lost 7 stone (and 2 and 3/4 pounds) its not stuff like that someone needs to hear.

positive mental attitude Pecker, PM me away whenever you need it.

• Advertisement

That means: no desserts, no chocolates, no crisps, no sweets, no takeaways, no alcohol.

For a year? Far better IMHO to allow yourself occasional treats - for me it's a few beers at the weekend, a couple of squares of 81% chocolate with lunch and a few plain (think Marieta!) biscuits with a cup of tea in the evening!

its not scary, its not that she needs to lose 6.5 stone minimum, so how about until you rock up with your Medical licence how about we leave the 'helpful' judgementalness to one side.

as someone who has lost 7 stone (and 2 and 3/4 pounds) its not stuff like that someone needs to hear.

Appreciate the support thank you

Appreciate the support thank you

oh ps and without oversharing there will be nights when you will want to pick or have a snack thats normal, prepare your OH for lots of distraction sex. :P:eek:

Also I know its scary that's why I am here ~ I didn't come here to be judged just wanted advise but thanks

Oh shít, I certainly didn't mean for that to come across as judgemental. I was merely trying to say when you realise what a huge task you have ahead of yourself it can feel daunting, and that if you work out how long that task will take, and make a commitment to the task for that period, then it should be easier.

I know because you can "be good" for weeks on end on then see only three or four pounds weight loss, it can make you give up. But if you realise that you have to "be good" for a set period of time (worked out by your current weight versus your ideal weight divided by the amount per week you want to lose), then you are less likely to give up.

Apologies if you thought I was getting at you. Not intended at all. I'm just trying to give you the benefit of the experience I have being in a very similar position to yourself.

Oh shít, I certainly didn't mean for that to come across as judgemental. I was merely trying to say when you realise what a huge task you have ahead of yourself it can feel daunting, and that if you work out how long that task will take, and make a commitment to the task for that period, then it should be easier.

I know because you can "be good" for weeks on end on then see only three or four pounds weight loss, it can make you give up. But if you realise that you have to "be good" for a set period of time (worked out by your current weight versus your ideal weight divided by the amount per week you want to lose), then you are less likely to give up.

Apologies if you thought I was getting at you. Not intended at all. I'm just trying to give you the benefit of the experience I have being in a very similar position to yourself.

No I understand thank you, I suppose I am very sensitive to it so take everything personal! It's very hard to read a tone in a message anyways. Really appreciate the support and advise. Thank you

C3PO wrote: »
    For a year? Far better IMHO to allow yourself occasional treats - for me it's a few beers at the weekend, a couple of squares of 81% chocolate with lunch and a few plain (think Marieta!) biscuits with a cup of tea in the evening!

Like I said, if it works for you that's fine. But treats are:
    - what got me in to that position in the first place
    - are addictive and I can't limit myself to just one
    - will make the results take longer.
    - there are non-food treats you can give yourself as a reward

Sorry again everybody. I wasn't intending to come across as judgemental. Just giving the advice that has worked for me, in a very similar position.

• Advertisement

its a lifestyle change not something you do for a period of time. its not about being good or bad, its about balance.

its been over two years now since i made the effort to make some changes and its easy now, it becomes habit, habits that use to include 4 o clock crunchies and cans of coke are now apples and peanut butter saturday nights are now a shared pizza instead of a whole pizza or 4 Chinese takeaways and beer.
    yes some weeks you will see nothing move, but dont live and die by the scales they are a fickle thing.

with due respect quickbeam, your issues sound deeper than just not making the right food choices, you talk about being addicted to treats, using them as a reward. food is fuel, its not there to punish or reward yourself with. best of luck with your weight loss but i would definitely look into some self love as well. focus inwards on why you feel like that about food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

One thing that helps me when I'm trying to loose weight is a measuring tape. It thrills me more to loose inches from my waist of thighs - plus also the scales don't always reflect your hard work straight away and that can be demoralising.

The Body Coach (Joe Wicks) calls the scales the "sad step" and I think that can be true for a lot of ppl.

One thing that helps me when I'm trying to loose weight is a measuring tape. It thrills me more to loose inches from my waist of thighs - plus also the scales don't always reflect your hard work straight away and that can be demoralising.

The Body Coach (Joe Wicks) calls the scales the "sad step" and I think that can be true for a lot of ppl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

Slimming World seems to be successful - I have a couple of friends that have dropped 2-3 dress sizes from being on it. It's more of a lifestyle change than a quick fix diet you need so this could be the way to go.

yes some weeks you will see nothing move, but dont live and die by the scales they are a fickle thing.

God yeah, they're the hardest weeks, when you've felt you've been "good" and deserve a loss and don't see any, or worse, see an increase. I assuming women see this fluctuation more than men because of our monthly cycles. I can reiterate that statement "don't live and die by the scales", keep the chin up, and continue and you'll see the rewards another week, sometimes a huge reward when you don't even expect it.

• Advertisement

its a lifestyle change not something you do for a period of time.

Well said - That's far and away the most important message!

with due respect quickbeam, your issues sound deeper than just not making the right food choices, you talk about being addicted to treats, using them as a reward. food is fuel, its not there to punish or reward yourself with. best of luck with your weight loss but i would definitely look into some self love as well. focus inwards on why you feel like that about food.

Junk food IS addictive. "Once you pop you can't stop" isn't just a slogan. Good food is fuel. Bad food is just empty calories. Most people who have a weight problem have used food as a comfort, which is what got them there. Disassociating that link between food and comfort is what gets me away from there. Thanks for the thoughts though.

Not for me, I see results far quicker on the scales than the tape. But it's useful to use both and see what works for you more.

God yeah, they're the hardest weeks, when you've felt you've been "good" and deserve a loss and don't see any, or worse, see an increase. I assuming women see this fluctuation more than men because of our monthly cycles. I can reiterate that statement "don't live and die by the scales", keep the chin up, and continue and you'll see the rewards another week, sometimes a huge reward when you don't even expect it.

again, can you stop saying 'good' and 'reward' there is no good and bad with food. there are choices. youre the one talking about weighing yourself each week and feeling demotivated by it not changing the way you want it too.

you dont deserve anything, thats the point im trying to make and i feel like your missing my point entirely,you only deserve what your put in, and even then it might be running a faster mile or the jeans fitting better, not 4 million stone gone on the scale, because at the end of the day there are people out there who are 6 stone and not happy.

maybe its because im out the other side of the hard weeks you refer too but i wasnt weighed each week, i didnt consider it a battle against my weight, my weight was part of me not something to be ashamed of or kill off, it was something i needed to remove from my body to be healthier, and i did that through no fad diet no killer work out programmes not extreme nonsense like no treats for a year, id rather die than tell myself i cant eat something specifically for a year to lose weight but then in a magically 365 days you can eat it and the world is right again.
    C3PO wrote: »
    Well said - That's far and away the most important message!
    years of therapy mate :eek: hahaha nah my dietitian drilled it into me.

Okay. That works for you. I just shared what works for me. No biggie.

maybe its because im out the other side of the hard weeks you refer too but i wasnt weighed each week, i didnt consider it a battle against my weight, my weight was part of me not something to be ashamed of or kill off, it was something i needed to remove from my body to be healthier, and i did that through no fad diet no killer work out programmes not extreme nonsense like no treats for a year, id rather die than tell myself i cant eat something specifically for a year to lose weight but then in a magically 365 days you can eat it and the world is right again.

Honestly you sound like you've got it covered! I'm a bit trapped in an "every 2 years" dieting cycle that I'd love to break.

Could you PM me the details of your dietitian?

Honestly you sound like you've got it covered! I'm a bit trapped in an "every 2 years" dieting cycle that I'd love to break.

Could you PM me the details of your dietitian?

i wouldnt say that but i finally feel like ive got my **** together.. ive kept it off now and im happy where i am, my doctor said BMI wise im ****ed because im only 5ft but he's happy with me as i am right now, we will review in a year.

Niamh O Connor I will shout it from the rooftops! http://corknutrition.ie/

shes amazing i was expecting to go in and have her be like you disgusting piece of lard, start running until your the size of paris hilton and only eat rice cakes and celery, she is incredible (pricey but incredible) first and only thing she told me to do in my first appointment was to stop drinking fizzy drinks.

simples. i could totally do that! replaced it with water.

next time something else, then i got into better habits.

simple effective goals that i was able to meet, yes of course i had **** months where i made the wrong choices or gave up but she isnt this whole i will weigh you each time you come in and if you havnt lost weight you are dead to me type. shes strict but supportive doesnt take ****e and is really nice.

bikini waxes, haircuts, and diet advice, leave it to the professionals ladies!

i wouldnt say that but i finally feel like ive got my **** together.. ive kept it off now and im happy where i am, my doctor said BMI wise im ****ed because im only 5ft but he's happy with me as i am right now, we will review in a year.

Niamh O Connor I will shout it from the rooftops! http://corknutrition.ie/

shes amazing i was expecting to go in and have her be like you disgusting piece of lard, start running until your the size of paris hilton and only eat rice cakes and celery, she is incredible (pricey but incredible) first and only thing she told me to do in my first appointment was to stop drinking fizzy drinks.

simples. i could totally do that! replaced it with water.

next time something else, then i got into better habits.

simple effective goals that i was able to meet, yes of course i had **** months where i made the wrong choices or gave up but she isnt this whole i will weigh you each time you come in and if you havnt lost weight you are dead to me type. shes strict but supportive doesnt take ****e and is really nice.

bikini waxes, haircuts, and diet advice, leave it to the professionals ladies!

Oh boo, I need to stop assuming everyone is in Dublin. I could always reach out and see if she has a colleague more locally that she'd be happy to recommend however.

I kicked the fizzy drinks about 3 years ago (I was a diet coke fiend!) and now have a sparkling water addiction in its place, which sometimes makes me gassy and bloated but I don't think thats whats causing me to gain weight.

Oh boo, I need to stop assuming everyone is in Dublin. I could always reach out and see if she has a colleague more locally that she'd be happy to recommend however.

I kicked the fizzy drinks about 3 years ago (I was a diet coke fiend!) and now have a sparkling water addiction in its place, which sometimes makes me gassy and bloated but I don't think thats whats causing me to gain weight.

im sure she can recommend someone, my GP recommended her to me.

i was murder for them a can of coke or san pelligerino a day like, and i love sparkling water but ive to be careful coz of my crohns.

i do think the food diary is great, another poster talked about that TV show secret eaters its amazing i hate the name but its amazing what you pick at without realising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The post came across as a bit judgmental alright but there was a lot of truth in it. 6+ stone is a lot to lose but if you're focused OP, you can definitely do it. See it as a challenge.

One piece of advice I'd add OP is, cut down on alcohol. I'm not sure if you even drink but If you do indeed like a few drinks at the weekend then I'd look at cutting that out completely over a few treats or a cheat meal.

In my experience, I lost weight much slower when I drank. It took me a good year to drop 2 and a half stone whereas I could have halved that time if I stayed away from alcohol completely.

It wasn't just the empty calories that beer provides, it was the fact that a Saturday night session would completely kill my good habits on a Sunday/Monday and leave me tired until mid week. If you've 6+ stone to lose, you'll want to have as much energy as possible and the right frame of mind - alcohol is something that will look to take that away from you.

Fair play to you for looking to tackle the problem anyway. Not easy to admit and best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Xopher

I too had this problem, at 17 years old I weighed 17stone close to 18. And night I weighed myself and I was so ashamed over it I decided then and there a change was needed. Over 4-5 Months I went from 17stone to 10stone 10 pounds.

My tips that i used was;

Treadmill- I spent roughly 20-30minutes every day
    Water-I replaced all my drinks with water
    Never got a takeaway for the period.
    Meals- breakfast would have been weetabix and orange.
    - Lunch would been something small like chocolate and fruit.
    - Dinner was chicken/fish or some meat with potatoes and veg, with the occasional change.

And after I had finished, I felt alot better and confident about my body. Goodluck and just try to shake the habits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement