Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5ft 5 and 17 stone..

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

im sure she can recommend someone, my GP recommended her to me.

i was murder for them a can of coke or san pelligerino a day like, and i love sparkling water but ive to be careful coz of my crohns.

i do think the food diary is great, another poster talked about that TV show secret eaters its amazing i hate the name but its amazing what you pick at without realising.

Well I used to drink at least 2x500ml bottles of diet coke every day - was doing my insides no favours I'm sure. And then one day I just gave it up after multiple failed attempts.

The last major diet I did was WeightWatchers, but I didnt like the dependency on processed, low fat food, and the fact that diet drinks were somewhat promoted. I do feel like I eat a lot of good, real food, I think I just have an issue with portion controll and a fondness for savory snacks.

Edit: Oh and I also really like cheese and wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Well I used to drink at least 2x500ml bottles of diet coke every day - was doing my insides no favours I'm sure. And then one day I just gave it up after multiple failed attempts.

The last major diet I did was WeightWatchers, but I didnt like the dependency on processed, low fat food, and the fact that diet drinks were somewhat promoted. I do feel like I eat a lot of good, real food, I think I just have an issue with portion controll and a fondness for savory snacks.

trust me i tried weight watchers and was brutal on it, yes i lost weight but never kept it off, the whole oh a bowl of chicken and veg is this many points but a packet of tayto snax is this so you can have both, no put down the snax liv and have a frickin vegetable.

weight watchers for me was like use up your points on jelly and diet 7 up or what was it, curly wurlys?? their three points! again liv no have an apple. its doesnt promote long term natural healthly food.

but the tinfoil hate wearer in me thinks its done on purpose so you keep coming back.

i still have a treat now and again but its that a treat its not a regular thing, i have stayed off the fizzys though, and another poster said about booze, i dont drink anymore.

i run now and look hot as fukc so im happy, ill keep truckin with the normal food and keep my mind happy for me thats most of the battle.

i also love cheese and wine, no more wine but i have cheese when i want it, fancy smelly cheese is bae :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Been dieting for a fair bit, 17stone - 14s 6p at moment, I have found that diet drinks such as seven up free are very good when you feel like a snack or something sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Stephenc66

OP the common thread here is a lifestyle change and lots of people here seem to have arrived at their goals on different journeys.

My ten cent worth is that the journey will be hard in the beginning but as you start and begin to see the changes in yourself both mentally and physically it will become an enjoyable journey.

For me in my mid thirties I lost 4 stone but this was a by product of getting fit and healthy. I found a sporting activity that I really enjoyed with set goals in fitness and skill levels. of course I had to modify my eating habits, smaller portions, more regular meals, better quality of food and many less snacks but no "dieting".

Eventually the need to train took over from the need to eat when I was down or under pressure and for me that was they key component.

Now heading into fifty next month I won't say that I haven't fallen of the "wagon" now and then but the important thing is to get straight back to what works.

It will all come together and simple things like jogging up a few flights of stairs rather than taking the lift will at first be a big achievement (and it is) and then will become the norm.

Stay away from quick fixes find something that makes you feel good slimming world, dietitian, exercise classes (these will all provide you with support which is so important) it doesn't mater as long as you start. It will be so worth it in the end.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

mayordenis wrote: »
    Myself and my better half have been more or less on paleo (somewhere between paleo and low-carb high-fat) for 2 years, if you like savoury food and are happy to cut out bread, rice, potatoes, pasta etc. then I really believe it's the easiest to adhere to.

If you like meat, eggs, cheese, nuts(in reasonable moderation), some berries then I think it's pretty comfortable.

One of the hardest things at the beginning myself was saying no to others, thinking that people would somehow think less of you for saying 'no' to chocolate or a pint or whatever.

Best decision I've made in my life by a long shot, some on here aren't a fan of it and that's fair enough, all I can say is that the results for myself and anyone I personally know who eats that sort diet are very good.

Another fan of the paleo/ketogenic/atkins/low carb setup here. Went from being overweight to 10-12% ish body fat, been doing it consistently for more than half a year. I'd recommend giving it a go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

i run now and look hot as fukc so im happy, ill keep truckin with the normal food and keep my mind happy for me thats most of the battle.

Me too, the running part anyway :) OP, no reason why you can't lose serious weight by this time next year. You need to set up a plan, stick to it rigidly and make the hard sacrifices. Once you get going, every week will get a little easier. There's plenty of support and advice right here if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Pecker31

Just throwing this out there as I saw it on one of them weight loss programme. There is someone you can go to to measure your body fat and visceral fat and generally to see how much pressure your body is under. Also showing the amount of oxygen in your blood and blood flow.

Is it a doc that would refer you or is there a clinic you can go to?

Pecker31 wrote: »
    Just throwing this out there as I saw it on one of them weight loss programme. There is someone you can go to to measure your body fat and visceral fat and generally to see how much pressure your body is under. Also showing the amount of oxygen in your blood and blood flow.

its the body composition test/analysis i think your talking about...

i got one done for my crohns due to issues with potential osteoporosis expensive your GP can refer you and it depends where your based... i had to go to dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

UCD do one: http://www.ucd.ie/sportandhealth/sss/laboratory/. I've never done it but it looks good.

Some Boots shops have a body fat calculator platform/scale thing as well, won't be as accurate but it will be very cheap to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

jenn1984 wrote: »
    Slimming World seems to be successful - I have a couple of friends that have dropped 2-3 dress sizes from being on it. It's more of a lifestyle change than a quick fix diet you need so this could be the way to go.

I have lost 4 stone using slimming world,

trust me i tried weight watchers and was brutal on it, yes i lost weight but never kept it off, the whole oh a bowl of chicken and veg is this many points but a packet of tayto snax is this so you can have both, no put down the snax liv and have a frickin vegetable.

weight watchers for me was like use up your points on jelly and diet 7 up or what was it, curly wurlys?? their three points! again liv no have an apple. its doesnt promote long term natural healthly food.

but the tinfoil hate wearer in me thinks its done on purpose so you keep coming back.

i still have a treat now and again but its that a treat its not a regular thing, i have stayed off the fizzys though, and another poster said about booze, i dont drink anymore.

i also love cheese and wine, no more wine but i have cheese when i want it, fancy smelly cheese is bae :-)

Ya I was a divil. And the worst part is I'm not totally clueless about food, so I was going against my better judgement eating things that I knew were pure junk just because they fit into my points.

I dunno if running would suit me but I do need to find some sort of regular exercise that I can stick with. I was going really well with spinning there for a while but then I hurt my back so thats out. Non stop curly wurlys!

I've definitly already decided that I want to cut down on alcohol, not that I'm a huge drinker, but I'm just starting to think its all a bit pointless so maybe on certain nights, I'll just bring my car and be grand on fizzy water.

Someone would have to claw the cheese our of my cold dead hand tho ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Set yourself a reoccurring meeting in your work calendar every 45-60 minutes to get up and walk for 5 minutes. At the end of your day you will have walked for over 30 minutes.

Can I please have your job?

Ya I was a divil. And the worst part is I'm not totally clueless about food, so I was going against my better judgement eating things that I knew were pure junk just because they fit into my points.

I dunno if running would suit me but I do need to find some sort of regular exercise that I can stick with. I was going really well with spinning there for a while but then I hurt my back so thats out. Non stop curly wurlys!

I've definitly already decided that I want to cut down on alcohol, not that I'm a huge drinker, but I'm just starting to think its all a bit pointless so maybe on certain nights, I'll just bring my car and be grand on fizzy water.

hahahaa a girl after my own heart...

for me it was finding something i love, running makes me feel so powerful and strong, even when im waddling across the finish line DYING!

just find something you enjoy and do that, simples!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Me too. I've cut out all the junk food, but cheese is something I'm not willing to let go of. I just watch my portion size of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Livedadream mentioned in two posts something that I think should be re-emphasised.
    1) Do something you love / take enjoyment out of.
    2) Change your perception of food as a reward

I read a study where there were two groups of people. The first were told to go off on and enjoy a 5km fun walk / guided tour / orienteering. The second group were told to go do 5km exercise. The two groups were presented with a table of food split between health options and junk food / sweets. As the first group enjoyed themselves, they by and large went for the healthy options but the second group decided to reward themselves after the exercise as they did not have the same endorphin's from the fun run and therefore felt that they deserved a treat.

I would highly recommend you take up some form of activity that you can find enjoyable. Personally I hate running long distance but love team sports. I get a sense of achievement from the exercise, I am never bored doing it (unlike pavement pounding or being on a treadmill), there is a great social side to these activities and I use them to meet new people and have fun. No one can tell you what this might be, hell it could be Pokemon Go but the idea is to do something with others that doubles up as social interaction.

Once you have found that something, then (to me anyways) exercise is no longer a chore and food is no longer a reward.

Oh, and one other thing, If you join a gym, then my piece of advice for it is to go straight from work. Do NOT go home first as the list of excuses mount very fast when you're in sight of the couch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Fair play to you for looking to tackle the problem anyway. Not easy to admit and best of luck to you.

Great username, nice touch with the "Western District" location. "Hamsterdam" would have worked to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

ford2600 wrote: »
    Great username, nice touch with the "Western District" location. "Hamsterdam" would have worked to?

Western District is where I'm from and Hamsterdam is done - what a shame after I cleaned up the muller corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭newcar2016

Take your time. Concentrate on your diet first. Count calories, calculate your Basic Metabolic rate: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm

Eat this amount of calories or slightly over it. Don't eat too little or you will become tired/sluggish.

You'll see the weight dropping off.

Buying a WIFI connected scales so your weight is automatically recorded.

Start doing low impact exercise like walking. Start with ten minutes and then increase it progressively whilst ensuring you keep counting calories. Or buy an exercise bike for home if you are self concious about walking.

You'll see the weight continue to drop off. But keep counting the calories.

Now after losing your initial KG's recalculate your Basic Metabolic rate as you won't need as many calories anymore: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm

Keep up the walking or exercise etc. But make sure you count calories.

Once your feeling up for it, do some more intensive exercise like a bootcamp or join a strength and conditioning gym. But make sure you keep counting calories as this will make the most difference.

The weight will continue to fall off.

Recalculate your metabolic rate and keep counting calories!

It'll be slow progress, you might lose 2kg per week at the start but it will probably slow down to a max of about .5kg per week or less as you progress, depending on how much you exercise and/or are strict about counting calories.

If you strict about it, id say a year to 18 months from now you won't know yourself

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, some great ones in there. Weighed myself last night and got a major fright!

I promised myself that that was the last time I would weigh that.. here's to a fresh start eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, some great ones in there. Weighed myself last night and got a major fright!

I promised myself that that was the last time I would weigh that.. here's to a fresh start eh!

Today is the day to make your first positive change.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

• Advertisement

Today is the day to make your first positive change.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

That's exactly it! What do I do if I get the urge for the vending machine down stairs that is free of charge!!!

That's exactly it! What do I do if I get the urge for the vending machine down stairs that is free of charge!!!

pm one of us, look up pictures of puppies or kittens or anything to distract you, have a glass of water.

pinterest.

cute babies

online shopping

tmz.com

ANYTHING! take it one day at a time, think about it like this,

i dont really want anything in the vending machine, i want to be healthy.

am i hungry or bored?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You distract yourself like livadadream or have a drink of water.

You decide that you want to take a positive step rather than eat anything from the vending machine. You don't need it.

If you get over that today, you will at least know you can resist the temptation and if the temptation comes back tomorrow, you know you can beat it because you did the day before and that bolsters your resistance to temptation. The draw of the vending machine soon subsides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Obviously try and stop using it completely. But if it turns out that its your constant source of problems then try and contact the supplier and see if they can add some healthy(ish) snacks into the selection. eg. Nuts, Fig Rolls, Plain Pretzels, fruit if possible depending on how often they stock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Go upstairs - and then down three flights - and then get a glass of water and back to your desk.
    Or go outside and around the block once. Maybe you can have some fruit at the desk?

Best of luck and stick with it. There will be slips but keep going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Not sure if already mentioned, but buy yourself a high quality weighing scales also for your weigh ins.

Weigh yourself at the same time everyday, preferably in the morning before you eat/drink to get a more consistent weight thats not fluctuated by water weight/dehydration.

The weighing scales should show your weight to the gram, like a few decimals. I used this for motivation to keep going, as any drop in weight on the scales, be it a gram or pound, is motivation and encouragement.

Log your weight on my fitness pal for example then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Free vending machine........

JJayoo wrote: »

The one you have to pay for in my office does enough damage, free would be a nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but I would recommend downloading the myfitnesspal app and recording what you eat each day. You need to be 100% truthful, the only person you would be lying to is yourself. It really is an eye-opener. I've been doing that the past 2 weeks and I've noticed a difference in my attitude to food. It gives a % of carbs, fat and protein consumed as well as sugar, some vitamins & minerals, fibre etc.

It gave me a big shock as to how much sugar I was consuming! I would have one teaspoon of sugar in my tea, but drink 4/5 cups of tea every day. That's not counting the sugar in anything else. I immediately cut it down to half a spoon so that's at least 2teaspoons of sugar a day I'm down. Also little bad habits like a few biscuits at night, or a bar or a bowl of cereal late at night when watching tv, I was so surprised as to how much sugar was in them and how many empty calories I was consuming. I didn't need to eat them, I wasn't hungry, I just felt peckish.

Now there are still odd days where I have a bar of chocolate (like yesterday), but now the difference is I know that it's high in calories and I will try to make sure that I don't completely do the dog on it. I also find I don't get as much satisfaction from it, it's just scratched an itch. Whereas before I was completely ignorant to it.

The one you have to pay for in my office does enough damage, free would be a nightmare!

we had a free one in the building too it was killer, free coke, red bull chocolate etc, to keep the techies up all night coding lolz

operation transformation came in and now we have free wraps, fruit and health bars, free bottled water veg and hummous its all so much fresher too...

made a huge difference...

• Advertisement

I know its an absolute nightmare! Coke, Crisps and Choc at the ready! I mentions putting apples etc and wraps in and I was shot down rapidly!!

I know its an absolute nightmare! Coke, Crisps and Choc at the ready! I mentions putting apples etc and wraps in and I was shot down rapidly!!

just avoid it Peck! bring in apples and put them on your desk ready for the munching...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

JJayoo wrote: »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3130193/

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Deise_vixen

This might sound a bit off the wall, but I suggest taking a picture of the number on scales display the next time you weigh yourself, then when you are tempted by the vending machine, open your phone and look at that pic and ask yourself if that trip to the vending machine is going to help you change that number? Sometimes we need to help our motivation along with some visual prompts.

You promised yourself that you didn't want to see that figure again so when you are making choices ask yourself if that short-term satisfaction that you might get from a bar is helping or hindering your long term goal. Easier said than done I know, but if you keep taking those scales pics and the numbers are slowly but surely getting smaller then the reward in that is better than any short term satisfaction from anything you can eat.

Wishing you the very best on your downward (scale numbers) spiral and let us know how you are getting on!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Well done on making the decision to change.

Some words of advice and they focus around thinking positively rather than negatively.
    - Don't bother with "diets" or "dieting". Certainly, if it is contained in a magazine or associated with some celebrity steer well clear of it. They are all fads at give short term results only. Focus on good, healthy nutrition.

- Focus on body composition rather than weight. You could train hard and eat well for a month and your weight will increase but in a good way. You will gain muscle mass and gain a better body composition.

-Don't overdo cardio training. That will not develop much muscle and as above, just having good muscle mass is what really increases your resting metabolism. Do plenty strength and conditioning exercises. Lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I do know how you feel. I used to weigh 17 stone 10 lbs and I am 5"2. I was in a very negative relationship so turned to food, takeaways (lots of them), ice cream, toast, you name it, I ate it...

I decided enough was enough, I got out of the toxic relationship and decided to turn my life around. I lost around 2 stone calorie counting but I wasn't enjoying it so I decided to search healthy eating plans and opted to join SW at 15 stone 12.5 lbs or so and today, I weigh 9 stone 10 lbs. I went from a size 24/26 to a size 10. It is possible, it takes dedication, willpower and perseverance. Keep going it is so worth it. I am now 9 months at target with SW and next month will be my 2nd anniversary of joining Slimming World.

Best of luck to you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Eat less
    Eat better
    Eat often

I was told that a few years ago and with just small amount of excercise went from almost 20stone to just over 15 stone (male 6' 2") in 2 years and have kept it off - now just kick started an effort to get under 14 stone.

Minimised bread & potatoes, cut out choc, crisps, sweets & alcohol for the first 2 months and now use them as treats.

Poached Eggs are a favourite for brekkie with a slice of decent wheaten bread. At weekends I'll have white or black pudding and 2 slice of bacon - some white puddings are very low in fat. I get one called Leahs Gourmet foods made in Kerry. Difficult to get, but delicious and only 3.4% fat content.

Handful of nuts as a snack mid morning / mid afternoon.

Lunch is regularly 3 slices ryvita + jalepeno relish + sliced chicken/beef. Delicious, tasty and each one is less than 50 calories and packed with nutrician. Oat cakes are an alternative, but higher in calories.

Dinner - veg, chicken, beef etc. Roasted veg is very tasty. Soups can also be very filling.

After dinner - yogurt, cup of tea, + 2 or 3 fig rolls

I put a couple of dumbell weights in the bathroom and do 3-4 different excercises each morning and evening.

Once you get into a routine, weight falls off and then you feel more confident to go to a gym. For me, swimming is my favourite.

The excercise will build the muscle and tone the body and help keep weight off as you will now and then go back to junk food.

As you lose weight have new "max weight" - for me that is currently 15.5 stone, my target for Christmas is that my new max weight will be 14.5 and that will be after the festivities so will need to be udner 14 beforehand - this is the level which, if I reach, i go straight back to the strict diet to get back to the target.

To give one example

A southern fried chicken roll with cheese and coleslaw from a deli has on average over 1200 calories.

I could have 24 ryvitas + a full jar jalepeno relish + 300g of sliced chicken for the same calories!

Vending machine avoided! Heading back to the office with a Coffee, Orange and Banana! Head is hopping off me with no sugar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

Walter2016 wrote: »
    A southern fried chicken roll with cheese and coleslaw from a deli has on average over 1200 calories.

That's a very good point - I put on 10 kilos in a year after I started a new job a few years back! I believe that it was largely due to eating a made up roll every workday from a local deli - I now bring homemade lunch to work every day and the weight is gone again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    - Don't bother with "diets" or "dieting". Certainly, if it is contained in a magazine or associated with some celebrity steer well clear of it. They are all fads at give short term results only. Focus on good, healthy nutrition.
    You shouldn't confuse your diet with "fad diets".
    To lose weight you have to fix your diet. Your diet is simply the you eat.

- Focus on body composition rather than weight. You could train hard and eat well for a month and your weight will increase but in a good way. You will gain muscle mass and gain a better body composition.
    A person trying to lose a bit of weight, especially a female, isn't going to build much muscle in a month. Even if they could, adding some lean mass will do very little for their appearance. Added muscle is a pretty inefficient way to improve body composition.

Say somebody is 100+kg and has a 30+% BF.
    Then adding 1kg of muscle will cause a very small change to their bf%. Less than 0.5%.
    There are situations where is might help more (skinny fat) but carrinf a lot of excess weight isn't one.
    Vending machine avoided! Heading back to the office with a Coffee, Orange and Banana! Head is hopping off me with no sugar!
    There's probably 30g of sugar in the Orange and Banana. The feeling that you are missing the sugar is at least partially out of habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Ok so here we go, I have hit rock bottom. I weighed myself the other day and I am slightly over 17 stone. I am disgusted with myself. I obviously know how I got here, takeaways. chocolate, wine and deli's.

My health is also at risk, I have PCOS from it and also developing sleep apnea. I am on anti depressants and feel like I am so far stuck in a rut I can't get out.

Any tips. I know eat less move more ~ I just wish I could see it.

I am with my partner for three years and we are taking about babies and our future so that should be a goal for me.. but I can't shake my bad habits.

My diet is an absolute disaster ~ I have an office job so my exercise is zero also.

Thank you.

Self control. I know its easier said than done but really just eating a little bit healthier and smaller portions will make a huge difference. Eat a small breakfast like poached eggs on toast, you can cook them in the micro wave, look up a tutorial, its easy peasy or have a yogurt or some fruit, maybe some porridge with honey and fruit mixed into it like banana or berries. Lunch can be a small portion of pasta and veg, salad sandwich with a light coat of butter or mayo and a regular size dinner, If you want to snack just have something small, you dont need to eat huge amounts. Food is just for fueling your body. Only give it as much as it needs. You dont need to deprive yourself either just eat less of the bad stuff. An hour exercise a week, something you'll enjoy, maybe a dance class or yoga or sport, or even watch some exercise videos on youtube, I find them great. you'll begin to see a difference, it takes time but its worth it.

Keeping a food diary is good too, its easy to not realise how much youve eaten or what youve eaten, writing it all down makes you more aware and helps you focus on changing your eating habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭newcar2016

Careful of portion sizes if you are eating cereal or porridge.

Even with really small bowls (15cm) you can easily fit twice the recommended portion size in it (the portion size listed on the side of the cereal box).

So the normal bowls people typically have can hold four or five times the recommended portion size.

So a food scales comes in handy to see this for yourself if you don't believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Ok so here we go, I have hit rock bottom. I weighed myself the other day and I am slightly over 17 stone. I am disgusted with myself. I obviously know how I got here, takeaways. chocolate, wine and deli's.

My health is also at risk, I have PCOS from it and also developing sleep apnea. I am on anti depressants and feel like I am so far stuck in a rut I can't get out.

Any tips. I know eat less move more ~ I just wish I could see it.

I am with my partner for three years and we are taking about babies and our future so that should be a goal for me.. but I can't shake my bad habits.

My diet is an absolute disaster ~ I have an office job so my exercise is zero also.

Thank you.

Just discovered this thread and decide to share my experience as it is similar to the OPs.
    Earlier this year I was almost 20 st. My wife & I had a new baby last year I decided I didn't want him to have a fat daddy.

I started going to the gym, not because I ever had any interest in gyms but because the minute I got home in the evenings I was handed the baby to look after so my attempts at using the exercise bike a couple of evenings a week were not happening.

I started going in to work at 7 instead of 9, so I leave early, go to the gym 5 times a week and still get home in time to take over with the baby.

I started walking on the threadmill, I only do things that my Ipad wont fall off, so everything else is pretty much out and the only bikes they have in my gym are spinning bikes and would cut the hole off you, even with a gel saddle.

I arrive early, (there are a couple of other people in the same boat as me) do my bit and usually leave before 6 so there are never many people there.

I can now pretty much run for 30 minutes and have lost 3.5 st, am hoping to lose a few more. I don't particularly like running but I do like getting another episode of a tv show in every evening!
    it's been slow and steady.
    other things I have changed
    mornings I have for breakfast- small scoop of porridge, strawberries, blueberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, walnuts...where before I would have toast with lots of butter.
    For lunch I have- Cully & Sully soup, 2 slices of brown bread with smoked salmon on
    I look forward to both of these every day.

On a Friday I go have chicken wings & chips or something, though am finding if I go running that evening it's harder to do with the big lunch.

Portion size would have been a problem for me also, I now find that I am actually less hungry and often leave half the spuds, pasta, rice etc behind.

I usually have a takeaway once a week, seldom get out for pints with the baby but would have a good feed of them when I do.

Admittedly I could probably have a bit more off it I didn't do this but hey you have to live.

OP if I can do it you can, start off small but for me the most important thing is to get moving, in no time the weight will fly off and it feels great to have people notice it.
    also you will be better able to conceive if you have weight off and I know that from trouble my wife also had.
    Best of luck

I can now pretty much run for 30 minutes and have lost 3.5 st, am hoping to lose a few more. I don't particularly like running but I do like getting another episode of a tv show in every evening!

Well done, from someone else who was 20stone its not easy, but it is worth it.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭laurie88

True, I was talking to my boyfriend last night and he said I was the queen of excuses. He is right. I only want to follow some diet as its something to blame when it goes wrong when really its me.

I need to stop throwing my money at things and giving up.

Hey there, I was wondering how you got on? did you find anything that suited your health and situation?

• Advertisement
Advertisement