Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork-yay or nay?

Options
  • 30-08-2016 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have been offered a job in Cork but dont know if i want to uproot the family or not.Kids are young so thats not really an issue but i'm not that familiar with the city.Is it expensive to live in?Whats renting prices like as we'd have to do that for a while

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

pretty family friendly, good schools, depends where you want to live, rent varies hugely.

meals, drinks, cover charges for nightclub, cinema etc all normal prices but not as pricey as Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

I guess it depends how much you want the job you've been offered and will the salary make it worth your while moving everyone? Like everywhere at the moment Cork is short on rental properties and the prices have increased pretty steeply in the last year or so. It really depends if you want to be right in the city or are you willing to live outside the city and commute to work?

I think Cork is a great city, lots of little coffee shops and restaurants in the city and plenty on offer to entertain the whole family. I'm biased though as I'm originally from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Where are you moving from?

If moving from Dublin, its certainly noticeably cheaper to live in Cork. However, prices in Cork, especially rent, is definitely on the increase.

In Cork's favour, its come on a lot over the last few years, and there's a lot more in the pipeline. Restaurants and nightlife are fairly lively and competitive, and you can live a 25 min drive from the city center and choose from either a quiet rural place, or a suburb such as Douglas, or a town like Blarney.

Its a massive county, so anyone not living in the city will have different experiences based on the part of Cork they hail from, but you should be able to find a place that suits your needs in terms of how built up or not it is, the commute to work, schools etc.

Best of luck and congrats on the job offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Where will the job be based? City centre or in the suburbs?
    If you wanted to live in the suburbs close to the city and the kids are already in school the placements might be a problem, even if you wanted to start them off in junior infants for September 17. Not all schools are full tho, it really depends on where you are.

Advertisement