Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to treat lights that don't recognize bikes?

Options
  • 30-08-2016 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Just wonder about peoples attitude to this.

I have always stopped at red lights but have started jumping a set of lights on my route to work which are only activated by a car (Road sensor). I only do so when no cars are waiting with me and it's safe to proceed through the lights. Should i recognize a set of lights that doesn't recognize me.

This shouldn't be an issue shortly with the school traffic starting up again it's just something that has been bugging me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I've a similar policy, if I've waited through a full cycle of changes at a junction I'll "use my discretion" at that junction thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Contact the council and three RSS let them know.

There's a set on my way home that have the road sensor that pick me up, but I need to do a bike stand for about ten seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

I jump a few that I 'know' the sequence of, to get a head of the cars... God forbid the sequence should change

I have a tendency to go on a four way junction when all four ped. lights are on. I reckon a minor indiscretion that can be tolerated by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I jump a few that I 'know' the sequence of, to get a head of the cars... God forbid the sequence should change

I have a tendency to go on a four way junction when all four ped. lights are on. I reckon a minor indiscretion that can be tolerated by all.

That is not what the OP is talking about at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Topical, last night on my warm down after a spin I came to a set of lights in the village, The road sensor didn't detect me, a car pulled up behind and I moved forward slightly to allow the car move to the space where the sensor was, but it didn't move forward. So both of us were stuck there, I gestured for the driver to move but they didn't understand what I meant them to do. Missed two sequences.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I can't legally leave my housing estate without dismounting and crossing via the pedestrian crossing, unless I strike it lucky and have a car arrive to "let me out". I tend to be practical about these matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If you ride up along the side of the sensor box it has the best chance of detecting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Nope. Makes me (and probably other road users) lose any respect for you and encourages the asshole who blasted through the ped lights the other day nearly running over a child who had started crossing.

I have a tendency to wait until the light changes to green and then go...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I see people do this all the time and I find it very annoying. Are you really in that much of a hurry that you cant wait for the light to go green?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i find it's easy enough to get a head start on the cars if you know the sequence; up and clipped in and rolling slightly (without passing the lights) waiting for the green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

topcat77 wrote: »
    Just wonder about peoples attitude to this.

I have always stopped at red lights but have started jumping a set of lights on my route to work which are only activated by a car (Road sensor). I only do so when no cars are waiting with me and it's safe to proceed through the lights. Should i recognize a set of lights that doesn't recognize me.

This shouldn't be an issue shortly with the school traffic starting up again it's just something that has been bugging me.

Should a car go thru a red light if safe to go?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i believe it's what's known as a 'stuck light' and the law allows you to drive through one if it's obviously stuck. will see if i can find a source.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

i find it's easy enough to get a head start on the cars if you know the sequence; up and clipped in and rolling slightly (without passing the lights) waiting for the green.

Yes or if you see the light s ahead are red (or just turned red), slow down and roll up to them...chances are they'll be turning green shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I tend to dismount and hit the pedestrian crossing button so to force the lights to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

i believe it's what's known as a 'stuck light' and the law allows you to drive through one if it's obviously stuck. will see if i can find a source.

I've seen sources for American law, that allows this. I don't remember seeing anything , that relates to Ireland.

i found a few references which support the above, but nothing official, e.g.

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/traffic_controls.html

i found a few references which support the above, but nothing official, e.g.

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/traffic_controls.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IIRC the only time you can legally pass a red light is when directed by the emergency services. If it's a sensor activated light and you don't trip it legally you have to wait till it turns green, or find an alternative route that doesn't have sensor lights if you are regularly getting stopped with a big lump of metal coming along to trigger the sensor.

I've read on some motorbike forums that really strong magnets attached to the sump can be used to trigger the sensor, no idea if it's an urban legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Most of the lights with induction coils on my usual routes can be triggered by riding along the side of the visible remains of the cut-out in the road. For good measure, I cycle a bit along one side and then swing over to the other side and cycle along that side.

I presume you have to have a steel bike (or other ferrous material) for this to work.

If you're on a deserted road with good sight lines and the light will not change, just cross, making absolutely sure that no-one is coming. It might be illegal (it might not; I also read something about a stuck light being effectively the equivalent of a Stop sign), but since it's a deserted road, who is going to impose the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

As others have said, riding along the joint will generally trigger the light in most cases (on my route anyway)

I saw a hilarious crash between 2 cyclists heading perpendicular to each other in this situation. Both saw the pedestrian lights green, with no pedestrians, and went to mill through the junction, spotted each other last second and had the slowest most awkward fall ever, followed by them untangling their bikes from each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I don't know how widely tolerated those indiscretions are, but I usually mutter "muppet" or similar under my breath when I see either.

Danbo! wrote: »
    As others have said, riding along the joint will generally trigger the light in most cases (on my route anyway)

I saw a hilarious crash between 2 cyclists heading perpendicular to each other in this situation. Both saw the pedestrian lights green, with no pedestrians, and went to mill through the junction, spotted each other last second and had the slowest most awkward fall ever, followed by them untangling their bikes from each other.

Heh!

I don't know how widely tolerated those indiscretions are, but I usually mutter "muppet" or similar under my breath when I see either.

Now Dermo', I wouldn't be lashing through them, right of way to the pedestrians an' all tha'... the junction i do it at requires me to turn right 100m after it, and it's purely to get ahead of the two lanes of cars racing each other to get into one lane, I don't fancy messing with them to try get across the road... Easier for me, easier for the drivers, no effect for the pedestrians.

(Genuine q: Would it be considered breaking the law if i hopped up on the path just before it and cycled across the crossing?)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Have often wondered about this with sensor controlled lights, never sure what to look for to be sure they are sensor controlled and then how to trigger the sensor.
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not sure what type of "joint" I should be looking for (and no - I also don't know what a tracker mortgage is :)) [/font]

Look for 2 rectangular shaped cuts side by side just before the stop line, sealed with black stuff.
    rtmie wrote: »
    Have often wondered about this with sensor controlled lights, never sure what to look for to be sure they are sensor controlled and then how to trigger the sensor.
    [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not sure what type of "joint" I should be looking for (and no - I also don't know what a tracker mortgage is :)) [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's a little revelation when you first notice them. Then you realise they're everywhere.

I'm not saying I'm right to be muttering...it's just what I do. On account of me being a grumpy fecker. :)
    Now Dermo', I wouldn't be lashing through them, right of way to the pedestrians an' all tha'... the junction i do it at requires me to turn right 100m after it, and it's purely to get ahead of the two lanes of cars racing each other to get into one lane, I don't fancy messing with them to try get across the road... Easier for me, easier for the drivers, no effect for the pedestrians.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It's a little revelation when you first notice them. Then you realise they're everywhere.

I'll be like Chris Froome staring down on the way home looking out for these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I pass a couple of sets of lights on my commute that use the camera to detect traffic along the luas line. However, when the sun is at a certain angle it will not pick up a cyclist. The red led on the camera light up when it detects something and the lights usually change about 5-10 seconds after. If the red led doesn't come on I wait until the coast is clear and go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

There's a couple on my regular training route. I find that the lights change straight away if I stop with the bottom bracket right over the corner of the induction loop. Aluminium frame, if that matters.

Advertisement