Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optic Fire Torches - Review

• 29-08-2016 8:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done a review of Optic Fire hunting torches here?, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.
    If not I'll throw up a quick one on a couple of torches I've gotten in the last few weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭clivej

Has anyone done a review of Optic Fire hunting torches here?, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.
    If not I'll throw up a quick one on a couple of torches I've gotten in the last few weeks.
    They look good and priced very cheap.

I have both the Nightmaster 800 and X Searcher. Both torches I find are very good.

I might buy the TX 67 IR in 940nm to see if it will work with my setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Its the TX 67 that I have, I haven't any thing to compare them to except WildHunters Predator 300 and an old style scope mounted spotlight with leads and battery pack.

So far its the biz, the full zoom allows a tight square of light with a weaker halo illuminating the surrounding area. At approx. 250+ yards to the naked human eye its clearly identifying deer, not just eyes, moving through the inside edge of forest and fox eyes at that distance are like car reflectors and through the scope the animal is perfectly lit up.

I'll try and get a few photos of the illumination and gun set up in the next few weeks, time will only tell in relation to quality. But for just under €70.00 delivered you get a 400 yard (as advertised) Red LED Torch (end cap mounted on/off switch) , remote rat tail switch, gun mount, two (18650) batteries and dual bay charger.

I was so impressed I ordered the sister torch, the TX 67 Mini (single 18650 battery) as a scanner / searching light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Buggs

I have a T50 in red (double battery), handy for spotting. But TBH it's not a patch against the Nightmaster Xsearcher in red even with a single battery you can spot eyes at good distance, and when using two batteries it's unreal. The Xsearcher in white is in a completely different league. Much handier than a traditional lamping setup with external battery.
    Unfair comparrison perhaps given the price difference. But, there is no doubt with target ID when using the Xsearcher. The scope mount is a godsend.
    The T20 is cracking torch for a .22lr. Either of the T series of torches won't be beaten for value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Blackdragon72

Looking forward to the pics Cookimonster, thinking about getting the XC-38 in red for 50 yard bunnies, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mcbain087

Got the XC50, good out to approx. 150 but eyeshine further.
    Good company to deal with, ask for discounts

• Advertisement

Sorry about the delay, unfortunately I never got to get night photos the last time was pulling a night shift, but I will en devour to do so.

I know the Optic Fire Website do an overview but here is a real world one for anyone that's interested.

The over all gun kit for the TX-67 contains:
    1 x Torch c/w tail end on /off switch & installed Red Led (as requested)
    2 x 18650 3.7v Li-on Batteries + adapters
    1 x Duel Bay battery charger for above
    1 x Rat tail duel switch
    1 Scope / Barrel Clamp
    01%20TX67%20Kit%20Red%20Led_zpspmieqkvi.jpg
    The duel bay charger is handy in that you can charge one single battery if required, handy for a second single cell torch. The tail end switch is a simple on/off affair, much better than duel / triple mode found on other models / designs
    I can only compare the build quality to that of my LED Lenser P7, c/w gun kit, that I have for many, many years and say that the Optic Fire Torches and accessories are comparable in quality, design and function.

The bezel on the front of the torch easily unscrews for replacement of the lense or led 03%20Changing%20Led%20%20-%20Lense_zpssakouabg.jpg

The light beam is focused by twisting the head of the torch and illustrations indicate the direction for wide and narrow beam, as the beam narrows its forms a square of light, which at a hundred and twenty yards will illuminate a 6-7 foot square area. On a wide angle the beam will light up 50 -60 yards of open ground. 04%20Range%20of%20Focus_zpsnyjhsg7r.jpg
    (Range of Focus)

The rat tail switch has a good feature in that it has a duel switch, one being pressure operated on /off the other is a push button -click on, click off. I find this an advantage over other single pressure operated systems.
    05%20Dual%20Switch%20Rat%20Tail_zpscq9myqw2.jpg

The torch mounts to a scope (30mm tube) by means of the clamp which for its intended purpose does the trick. There is plenty of clearance for the front scope bell (56mm) and the length of rat tail switch is perfect for any mounting position on the fore stock.
    IMAG1661_zpsbjgjmmt2.jpg

The diagrams on the head of torch allow you to square off the focused beam in relation to your sight picture through the scope. I find that if you have the torch mounted as in the picture below the square of light will be level in your sight picture.
    07%20Squaring%20off%20the%20torch_zpsesbmkkly.jpg

As a personnel modification to my lamping set up and due to no issues with the Optic Fire kit I have mounted the torch on an old gun lamp mount to raise the torch higher to eliminate shine off my Predator Moderator. I tried all the other tricks, but this was the only one that worked perfect. 08%20Alternative%20Mount%20for%20Mod_zpsa5g2co3d.jpg

Not only was I impressed with the TX-67 but so was one of my shooting buddies that he asked me to order him one and while I was doing that I decided to order the TX-67 mimi for myself as a scanning torch and something lighter for my .22.
    02%20TX67%20%20amp%20TX67%20Mimi_zpsehhbwi58.jpg

Blackdragon72 I was originally going to get a smaller torch for scanning but when I thought about it I spent the few bob extra to get more power, better to have it then look for it.
    By the way and this is probably my 'thickness' but if any of you are thinking of ordering just a torch remember they don't come with batteries and hence chargers, so when your shiny new torch arrives you wont be rushing out that night. I had to double check with the web site prior to ordering the Mini and ordered one separately.
    Time will only tell but I've used the kit twice a week since I got it and no issues to date. So far we've clearly identified foxes out at 180 yards (ranged from a high seat) and will pick out eyes well over 200, for the price what else can you ask for.
    I will try to get night pictures of the torch in action ASAP.

Thats fantastic cookimonster, thank you so much. As i'm not needing that greater range fingers crossed the XC-38 will suffice as funds are tight at the moment.

Thats fantastic cookimonster, thank you so much. As i'm not needing that greater range fingers crossed the XC-38 will suffice as funds are tight at the moment.

I used my LED Lenser P7 with great success on rabbits and for the occasional fox, so you'll have no bother at all with you choice, much better then the white light of the P7

Okay, having a browse on eBay and came across the TX67 for £23.99 so grabbed that!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262112864109?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=560881301511&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Give us a review when you get it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement