Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on setting up a sterling account

• 30-08-2016 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hello, I hope I'm putting this up in the right place!

For work I've come to receive a large amount of sterling as I'm often in the UK (My address is in Ireland). As the exchange rate is crap at the moment i don't want to exchange it, but I don't like holding onto a large amount of cash at home.

So I'm thinking of setting up a UK account or an Irish sterling account. Has anyone got any advice for the best bank in Ireland/UK for it? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

They could probably lodge it to a currencyfair account, or revolut account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You could look at Monese which is easy to open from home.

Also PayByFire offers a UK account for free, sure it's limited what you can do but it's also easy to open.

Otherwise doing it via currencyfair is an option.

Revolut won't work as you can't receive funds from 3rd parties (yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

moloner4 wrote: »
    Hello, I hope I'm putting this up in the right place!

For work I've come to receive a large amount of sterling as I'm often in the UK (My address is in Ireland). As the exchange rate is crap at the moment i don't want to exchange it, but I don't like holding onto a large amount of cash at home.

So I'm thinking of setting up a UK account or an Irish sterling account. Has anyone got any advice for the best bank in Ireland/UK for it? :)

PTSB, BoI, AIB, Ulster, KBC and others will let you set up a GBP account as a RoI resident.

Thereafter, transfer the GBP to EUR using an online currency broker such as Currency Fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

JTMan wrote: »
    PTSB, BoI, AIB, Ulster, KBC and others will let you set up a GBP account as a RoI resident.

Thereafter, transfer the GBP to EUR using an online currency broker such as Currency Fair.

What's the implications of this. Do you still have to pay dirt, debit card stamp duty etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

adam88 wrote: »
    What's the implications of this. Do you still have to pay dirt, debit card stamp duty etc

DIRT? Yes.
    Debit card duty? Most of the GBP products from these banks are for GBP savings accounts, not GBP current accounts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement