Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A2 restrictor kits - where do I get (fitted) ?

• 30-08-2016 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭

A friend is getting ready for his A2 and may need a bike to be restricted for same.

FI International kits seem to have disappeared - well their website certainly has - so wondering who can currently fit & certify bikes for A2 (used ones) here in RoI at the moment ?

He's looking at the likes of W650, SR, Bonneville types.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'd love to know as well, the wording from the RSA is terribly vague for what is acceptable for the test. As far as the gardai and insurance caring, who knows.

I'm still wondering if my restrictor will be accepted for the test on the 15th of september.
    A motorcycle can have a restrictor kit fitted to it to meet this requirement; the kit should only be fitted by a registered motorcycle dealer and you should keep the documentation relating to the kit while it is on your bike. Manufacturers and suppliers will advise on the power outputs of individual motorcycles.
    Ok so it says should not must.
    If your motorcycle is restricted in power, you will need to bring the certificate which provides proof of compliance or restriction. This must be a certificate or on headed paper from an official source. Failure to provide this documentation at your test will mean your test will not be conducted and your fee will be forfeited.

Both of those bits of info from the same page URL="http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/"]http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/[/URL

I'll not be a happy person if I get turned away for my certificate not being from a registered motorcycle dealer, for which there is no official list available to see who qualifies.

Hopefully if the tester gives any guff about it I can show him the throttle only turns about 1/8th of the way it usually would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

@frozenfrozen - I've just emailed RSA asking that very question: I'll let you know what they say. Emailed MAG too, to see if they can shed some light on things.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I emailed them before and got:
    "If your motorcycle is restricted, you must bring proof of restriction with you on the day of your test, showing what the restricted KW output is.
    This must be on headed notepaper from a main dealer or official importer of the particular make of motorcycle, and must show the motorcycles registration number."

as the answer, just completely disregarded it. By the bike being on Irish plates it has been officially imported. Am I an official importer of this particular make of motorcycles if I VRT'd the bike?

What I'm bringing is the 'cert' I got with my overpriced ebay restrictor. It'll have reg, kw, power to weight, etc on it. And I'll be printing that rsa page with "certificate OR on headed paper from an official source".

They can **** off if they want to make it any harder for me, I've got the restrictor on and that's all that matters

MAG came back and said for the test, they'd recommend the testers bike, which being ADI monitored, would be safe.

Ode To The Motorist

Which is annoying because it turns it from 'only' 85 euro for the test to costing 85 + rental of the bike (30 - 50) + pretest to get used to the bike (minimum 2 hours in lots of cases, could be 90 euro) :( I'm going to go on my own bike and apply for a refund if I'm rejected. I'd much rather do the test on my SV than M0 G4rveys kawasaki ER5 which I used for my first attempt at the test, she got enough of my money at this stage

• Advertisement

....maybe so, still doesn't solve how to prove/ride an A2 legal bike after the test though.

Ode To The Motorist

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Kickstart engineering in the UK make A2 restrictor kits that are recognised by RSA. I used one myself with no issues.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Kickstart engineering in the UK make A2 restrictor kits that are recognised by RSA. I used one myself with no issues.

Really? that's the one I have! RSA accepted it for the test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Remember that your bike must not be restricted by more than half it's original power for example.
    A suzuki bandit 600 is 57Kw
    Restricted with a 25Kw kit is not acceptable as half 57Kw is 28.5 Kw but a 35Kw would be ok.
    If a bike is over 70 Kw originally then it cannot be restricted as an A2 bike.
    Good luck lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I used kickstart years ago too. Installed myself too and wrote down all my dads information on the certification.

• Advertisement
Advertisement