Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes

Options
  • 30-08-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised not to find some kind of Mega thread in here on the Dublin Bikes. Maybe there is and I just can't find it. But there is no link to it in the "popular threads" so might be worth looking at. Maybe this can become the mega thread :D(or mods, feel free to merge)

Right, I've never used them, but have often thought about it. I went to a couple of the stands a few times, but couldn't get sorted. Looked online at it from time to time but never followed through. It would generally be a spur of the moment decision that I want to head downtown, as I want to do this lunchtime.

It seems simple, but it's not very clear! Maybe I am not reading it correctly but this is my take on it. It appears you can sign up for a 3 day pass (€5) at some stations, but not all! 33 out of 101 stations by my reckoning. If you want an annual pass it is €20 but you have to do it online.

So a fiver for a 3 day pass. Sounds grand if you are a tourist planning to move around the town for a few days. Anytime I looked though, I only would want to spin across town, so even if I found a station that I could buy a ticket at..... A fiver to use it for 15 minutes or so.... I don't think so! The alternative... An annual pass for €20. Sign me up..... but unless I'm mistaken, you can't actually do this at a machine, you seem to have to do it online. Does anyone know if I just am looking at it wrongly?

If I do it online, I have to then wait for the card to come out in the post!
    For Annual Card subscriptions, you cannot specify the date your subscription starts.Your subscription begins from the date your application is processed. You receive your Annual Card in the post. If you do not receive it within 14 days, please contact the Call Centre on 1850 777 070
    This seems daft, so if I do sign up now, I can't even use the bikes till I get my card in the post, which could take up to 14 days!

It looks to me like they missed a trick here. You should be able to sign up at a machine. Or they could be able to do away with the whole card idea and you should be able to use your credit card instead to identify your account. Or better still, tie it in with the Leap card. It looks like I'll be using that today instead and hoping on the Luas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I think the idea is to get you to sign up. If it's too easy to just casually take a bike then you don't personally invest in the scheme. OTOH, if you've had to sign up, you'll be more likely to assume that you'll be using a DB rather than just using it on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Seve OB wrote: »
    You should be able to sign up at a machine.

Not to nit pick here, but the only issue with this is it'd clog up the machine for someone trying to release a bike, with some 70 year old trying to see the screen/type their email address that their grandchild set up for them for 5 hours.

It's not a perfect system, but once you have your card it's grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I think the idea is to get you to sign up. If it's too easy to just casually take a bike then you don't personally invest in the scheme. OTOH, if you've had to sign up, you'll be more likely to assume that you'll be using a DB rather than just using it on a whim.

You are missing the point. I'd be happy to sign up! I think it is just stupid that you can only do it online and then have to wait for up to 2 weeks to get your card.
    Not to nit pick here, but the only issue with this is it'd clog up the machine for someone trying to release a bike, with some 70 year old trying to see the screen/type their email address that their grandchild set up for them for 5 hours.

It's not a perfect system, but once you have your card it's grand!

now that is silly nit picking! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

When I signed up I got a code, I think, in an email and used it that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

Just checked my emails there. I got a "temporary ticket number" which I put in before entering my personal code number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It should be rolled into leap, so you can use bikes in Cork, Limerick and Galway too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It should be rolled into leap, so you can use bikes in Cork, Limerick and Galway too.

That sort of progressive, joined up thinking is not welcome in Ireland.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't think a one-time online application for a card that'll do you for years to come is overly onerous. I've had my card for around seven years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Not its not nit picking.

Most DB usage is it peak times - around 9:00 am, 5:00 pm and lunchtime. The biggest problems with the overall experience are first of all, having picked a bike at point A, there being no free slots at point B so you have to wait until the the relief truck arrives or someone wants a bike at point B. Just as bad, are folks taking too long to take a bike. It should take seconds. On a sunny day you cant see the screen, I've seen tourists try take a bike with a credit card and take up to 20 minutes. It may sound picky but it costs valuable time on the way to work or to an appointment.

Registering online is no biggie, but you need to be that guy waiting for a hapless tourist to finish their business before you appreciate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

@Weepsie
    I doubt Ireland's an exception, in France each city runs its own bike scheme with no links between them that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Lucena wrote: »
    @Weepsie
    I doubt Ireland's an exception, in France each city runs its own bike scheme with no links between them that I'm aware of.

France is huge though with 7/8 cities with populations of over a million people and and another 15 over 500k.

Ireland is a pretty small country. I guess the council's would be afraid of losing some sovereignty in a way by having to cooperate with others more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

..... have often thought about it. I went to a couple of the stands a few times...... Looked online at it from time to time but never followed through. It would generally be a spur of the moment decision

I don't think a one-time online application for a card that'll do you for years to come is overly onerous. I've had my card for around seven years now.

no it's not. I don't mind doing it online, I just said that it is a bit of an oversight that you cannot do it at a machine. My issues was that you have to wait for the card to arrive in the post.

If I could have signed up at a machine, I would have done it years ago and already be a regular DB user. Because of the system, I never bothered.
    OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Not its not nit picking.

Most DB usage is it peak times - around 9:00 am, 5:00 pm and lunchtime. The biggest problems with the overall experience are first of all, having picked a bike at point A, there being no free slots at point B so you have to wait until the the relief truck arrives or someone wants a bike at point B. Just as bad, are folks taking too long to take a bike. It should take seconds. On a sunny day you cant see the screen, I've seen tourists try take a bike with a credit card and take up to 20 minutes. It may sound picky but it costs valuable time on the way to work or to an appointment.

Registering online is no biggie, but you need to be that guy waiting for a hapless tourist to finish their business before you appreciate this.

I'm sorry guys, but if someone is acting the maggot and taking their time, causing queues to back up, that is a different issue. I had it recently at the AIB bank lobby in Carrickmines. I just went up and told yer one to either do what she needed to quickly or move out of the way (which she did).

Oh, and here is an idea, if someone is struggling to use the machine, you could always help them out seeing as you know how the thing works........ :eek:

It does kind of prove my point though, its a pretty simple idea, but not very clear in execution.
    BobPresto wrote: »
    Just checked my emails there. I got a "temporary ticket number" which I put in before entering my personal code number.

Hey Presto!! :D
    Now this is good news. So I can sign up and use the same day. I'll probably do this so whenever I might have a need for them next time.

Again though..... nothing that I can see on their website about this. They should have very clear instructions, and they just have to much going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why, having wanted to use them on a number of occasions but not having a card you couldn't, wouldn't you just sign up right now (would probably take less time than typing the posts you've done on this thread!) - and then you WOULD have the card next time you spontaneously, last-minutely, spur-of-the-momently decide to use a DB?

:confused::confused:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Why, having wanted to use them on a number of occasions but not having a card you couldn't, wouldn't you just sign up right now (would probably take less time than typing the posts you've done on this thread!) - and then you WOULD have the card next time you spontaneously, last-minutely, spur-of-the-momently decide to use a DB?

:confused::confused:

2 reasons

Mainly, because every time I have thought about it before, I have been out and about, looked at a machine and then said I must look into that and then forgotten afterwards.

Also because I am a here and now kind of guy. If I want something, I want it now. I should be able to sign up and use it now. I don't know of anything like this where you have to sign up in advance. I have seen other people complain of the same thing, so this must be a relatively new thing that BobPresto points out of the temporary passcode. If I sign up now it will be pointless as I might have no need to use the bikes for months now, but thanks to a bit of magic :cool:, it appears the system has changed and you can sign up and use straight away

Would you sign up to a Gym today if you weren't planning to go to use it till October sometime, but then again it might be Christmas before you will go, or even the new year!!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Surprised not to find some kind of Mega thread in here on the Dublin Bikes. Maybe there is and I just can't find it. But there is no link to it in the "popular threads" so might be worth looking at. Maybe this can become the mega thread :D(or mods, feel free to merge)
    There was one but everyone worked out everything they needed to know and its a few years since anyone posted there. No issue with a new one to (re-)inform the masses though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You effectively want the system changed (a system that's been working fine for 8 years) to potentially slow it down for those of using it on a daily basis.
    You can see how that's a little unreasonable surely?

To use the bank card analogy, you have to sign up (on line or in person in the bank), prove your identity, wait for a card/pin to arrive then use it. You can't just say wow there a bank machine, lets immediately get to the giving-me-money stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

2 reasons

Mainly, because every time I have thought about it before, I have been out and about, looked at a machine and then said I must look into that and then forgotten afterwards.

Also because I am a here and now kind of guy. If I want something, I want it now. I should be able to sign up and use it now. I don't know of anything like this where you have to sign up in advance. I have seen other people complain of the same thing, so this must be a relatively new thing that BobPresto points out of the temporary passcode. If I sign up now it will be pointless as I might have no need to use the bikes for months now, but thanks to a bit of magic :cool:, it appears the system has changed and you can sign up and use straight away

Would you sign up to a Gym today if you weren't planning to go to use it till October sometime, but then again it might be Christmas before you will go, or even the new year!!!

But you might decide next week or next month that you want to use one, and then where will you be??

Maybe you should transform yourself into a little more of a plan-a-bit-in-advance guy :)

Sounds to me like you're just setting yourself up for another disappointment and an excuse for another rant some time in the future.

And a gym membership is not comparable to a 20 quid annual DB card, now is it??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

no it's not. I don't mind doing it online, I just said that it is a bit of an oversight that you cannot do it at a machine. My issues was that you have to wait for the card to arrive in the post.

If I could have signed up at a machine, I would have done it years ago and already be a regular DB user. Because of the system, I never bothered

I guess what I'm suggesting is that the they're already quite straightforward to sign up for, so cases like yours would likely be a small minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Beasty wrote: »
    There was one but everyone worked out everything they needed to know and its a few years since anyone posted there. No issue with a new one to (re-)inform the masses though.....

Given that Dublin Bikes are a big part of Dublin life now, it's surprising so little is posted about them. I've posted a few things in the last year, but I never really knew which thread they should go in.

• Advertisement

You effectively want the system changed (a system that's been working fine for 8 years) to potentially slow it down for those of using it on a daily basis.
    You can see how that's a little unreasonable surely?

To use the bank card analogy, you have to sign up (on line or in person in the bank), prove your identity, wait for a card/pin to arrive then use it. You can't just say wow there a bank machine, lets immediately get to the giving-me-money stage.

No I don't "want the system changed". I'm simply pointing out flaws in the system. Just cause it has worked fine for 8 years doesn't mean it can't work better.
    I think you are being unreasonable by not wanting change in case it slows you down. Sure there maybe flaws in my suggestions, but that's not to say there can't be work-arounds found.
    To compare it to a bank card and ATM is just being foolish.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But you might decide next week or next month that you want to use one, and then where will you be??

Maybe you should transform yourself into a little more of a plan-a-bit-in-advance guy :)

Sounds to me like you're just setting yourself up for another disappointment and an excuse for another rant some time in the future.

And a gym membership is not comparable to a 20 quid annual DB card, now is it??

Why should I be a plan in advance kind of guy? Agree it's not on the same scale as the Gym, but it is still money... my money :D
    Anyway, I also think you missed BobPrestos point that the system actually seems to have changed and now you do get a temporary passcode to use when you sign up.
    So next time I decide spur of the moment to use it, I will be able to sign up before I leave my desk and just roll down to the local bike rack and queue up behind all the tourists who take way to long, so I end up just turning around and going back to my desk as Lunchtime is nearly over :P
    I guess what I'm suggesting is that the they're already quite straightforward to sign up for, so cases like yours would likely be a small minority.

Fair point, but business all operate the same way. More customers, more revenue, more profit! ;) I just think they are missing a trick.

More customers, more revenue, more profit! ;) I just think they are missing a trick.

Only if the revenue generated those customers exceeds the cost of acquiring them. In this case, I doubt it would.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

They need to make it clear on the DublinBikes website that you get a code to use it right away.

The English site for Vélib' even notes: "You will receive your subscription within approximately 7 working days. A temporary code to use the service is immediately sent to my email address."

No I don't "want the system changed". I'm simply pointing out flaws in the system. Just cause it has worked fine for 8 years doesn't mean it can't work better.
    I think you are being unreasonable by not wanting change in case it slows you down. Sure there maybe flaws in my suggestions, but that's not to say there can't be work-arounds found.

But, it's not a flaw in the system and you do seem to want the system changed!

The problems caused by allowing people to sign up at stations is not worth any possable benefits of allowing it.

If it worked with Leap, you'd load your subscription onto Leap rather than getting a card in the post. That's what happens in Paris.

The systems are paid for separately, so, if Leap worked with the bike share systems and you were going from Dublin to, say, Galway, you'd still have to pay for a short-term subscription or have long-term subs for the two loaded onto you Leap card.

There might be debate to have that all the systems users should be able to use the other systems, but that's a different argument than Leap compatibility.

For people going from one place to another across Ireland, I think we need another parallel system like that of the Dutch railway's OV-Fiets which is focused on giving people the bike for a day while they are visiting areas where they don't live. Such as system could be quickly rolled out beyond city centres to suburban stations and even towns around the country.

Or better still, tie it in with the Leap card. It looks like I'll be using that today instead and hoping on the Luas!

If it was tied in with Leap you'd still have to sign up online and load your subscription onto a Leap card as happens in Paris etc (and just as you load weekly/monthly public transport tickets on Leap now).

If there was a function for non-subscribers to just tag on using a Leap card at a DublinBikes docking station, it would logically make more sense that they'd be given some kind of short-term tickets (like a one-day ticket like Paris).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Not its not nit picking.

Most DB usage is it peak times - around 9:00 am, 5:00 pm and lunchtime. The biggest problems with the overall experience are first of all, having picked a bike at point A, there being no free slots at point B so you have to wait until the the relief truck arrives or someone wants a bike at point B.

If you get to point B and there are no free slots you can scan your card at the machine and you get a free 15 mins to find a free slot at a nearby DB stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,622 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

When I first signed up, I didn't need it but it was more just for the occasional convenience such as getting across town to meet people after work, for example. When my own bike was stolen outside Pearse Station, it had expanded a bit more and I decided against replacing my bike. I use it every day so €20 is a steal but it was good value for the convenience it offered me even when I didn't use it as regularly. It probably saved me more in taxi fares than it cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

My card arrived within a couple of days, so was no big deal. It's a very handy thing to have in your wallet when your timekeeping is as bad as mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Have been using it for a while now, and was very happy with the service. It does feel like I find more empty stands when I need a bike and more full ones when I need to deposit one than in the beginning. There are a couple of stands that are notorious for this, and there seems to be mornings when they just aren't replenished at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Signing up is horrible. Really confusing and difficult. It's also horrible, confusing and difficult in France (a kindly youth took the time out from taking out his own bike to talk me through it in Paris).
    And don't talk to me about the French and transport efficiency: their Carte Navigo/Navigo Decouverte runs on calendar weeks, so if you need to use it from Thursday to Thursday, say, you have to buy two weeks' worth. The result is that everyone buys carnets of 10 tickets, which Paris now wants to get rid of. All French systems seem designed for the convenience of the civil servants running them, not the public using them.
    But… once you've signed up, and once you've downloaded and installed the AllBikesNow app so you know where your nearest stand is, it's a handy system. Awful heavy bikes, mind you. Apparently Galway's are better, but since they're not interoperable I'll never know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

2 reasons

You can sign up straight away. Stand beside the bike station, take out your phone, enter your details and you'll get the temporary passcode. Easy peasy...

If I had a magic wand to change one thing, it would be the foolish and pointless 'terms and conditions' that you have to agree to when getting a 3-day pass. It is ridiculous to present any user, let alone a tourist who may well not speak the language with these Ts and Cs. Ever heard of Plain English, guys? I wonder if these would even stand up in Court if a case ever went that far?

• Advertisement
Advertisement