Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 year old PC, is it worth an upgrade?

Options
  • 30-08-2016 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Firstly, my current build is:
    MB: ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3) 1155 ATX
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k 3.3GHz (not overclocked)
    GPU: Asus AMD Radeon 6950 2GB
    RAM: G.Skill RipJaws-X 8GB CL9
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB SATA II
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
    PSU: Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W

So it's been over 5 years since I built it, and it's not running quite as smoothly as it once was. It's still running really well though, but just starting to show it's age a bit. Starting Windows takes longer, newer games don't run as well as they used to. Though even with my fairly old GPU, there's only two games that have ever given me trouble and they are Just Cause 3 and Assassin's Creed Unity, every other game runs perfectly. But I know that won't last too much longer.

So I'm thinking of just upgrading my GPU to something that will give me another few years of use for newer games. Ideally I want to run the newest games at 1080p on maximum graphic settings. I'm not too concerned about 1440p or 4K yet. So I was thinking of an RX 480 or GTX 1060, as about €300 would be my price range for a GPU.

My other question is whether upgrading to a new GPU such as those, do I also need to upgrade my motherboard or CPU also for the new GPU to be fully effective? And as for the RAM, if I wanted 16GB instead of the 8GB, should I just add more of the same type or replace them altogether?

I think my Power Supply, HDD, Case, and possibly RAM are all fine, so mainly a GPU upgrade and whether you think a motherboard and CPU upgrade is also required.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

My advice a gpu and ssd and you may see a new lease of life with your pc.

You could get both for the 300 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Drumorig

Id be reinstalling windows before doing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

SSD is a must. Had basically the same setup and upgraded GPU and SSD, clean windows install and it's like a new beast altogether.

Good deal on a 500GB SSD on amazon at the moment - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01G844L88/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My advice a gpu and ssd and you may see a new lease of life with your pc.

You could get both for the 300 mark.

Absolutely this. 240Gb SSD + 4GB RX480 is a massive upgrade for your system. Everything else is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Johnny Lightning

Thanks for the excellent advice. I'll look into a SSD. Is a 480 the best option for a new GPU for me or is there any others better in the same price range?

And the motherboard and cpu are fine? I really wouldn't need to replace those to get full use from a new GPU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

An overclocked 4Gb RX 470 performs near enough to a stock RX 480, frees up €40-45.

A used GTX 970/980 is also a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Cpu is a few years old. If it was **** I'd advice you to move on. But it was /is a good cpu.

I'd start with gpu and ssd. You honestly should see a boost I'm talking very high settings in game. And ssd will speed up overall running. a few here have had the same processor and followed this upgrade path with good results.

As noted you can shop smart and get yourself a good upgrade card and ssd for 300 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

2500k is still very very solid gaming CPU. I just added 1060 to it and it's solid gaming machine again.
    I would say that technically you could pair 2500k with 1080 if you are playing 1440p++. At high resolutions your gpu will be bottleneck and not cpu. At 1080p 2500k will be bottleneck.

So as others said, you staying 1080p, then 4gb rx480 and SSD would be a solid choice. You will need put new windows on it as by the looks you got more issue with os then hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yup, think everyone here made a similar build 5 years ago! i2500k, P67, RipJaws, SuperFlower..

SSD was definitely the best upgrade I made to it. (Samsung 840 EVO)

That'll solve the speed issues instantly, and GPU, I just got a Nitro RX480 and it's great so far, definitely gives the build a new lease of life for a while more.

sugarman wrote: »
    What cooler do you have?

Besides an SSD and new GFX card, id be looking into overclocking the 2500k. Its well able to get up to 4.4Ghz.

Im in the middle of doing the same with a similar build.

Im awaiting an RX 480 after already upgrading to a better/bigger SSD and upping the RAM to 16GB. Its already like a new machine.

Iv a Cooler Master Seidon AIO cooler to add in once I get some new paste.

And iv'e added extra case fans for better airflow.

All in all, it came in around €350.

I think the cooler is have is the stock one that came with my Cpu. I thought about overclocking and might look into it, but I'd just be a bit wary about causing any damage to it or lowering it's lifespan.

€350 is very cheap, what's included in that price and where do you get your parts?

As for an SSD, what size would be required? Is 250gb enough or would I need a 500gb to make the most of it?

And again, thanks for all the advice so far, it's very helpful. And it seems the RX 480 is the most recommended GPU in that price range. I'm hoping to have a GPU to last another 5 years.

• Advertisement

I think the cooler is have is the stock one that came with my Cpu. I thought about overclocking and might look into it, but I'd just be a bit wary about causing any damage to it or lowering it's lifespan.

€350 is very cheap, what's included in that price and where do you get your parts?

As for an SSD, what size would be required? Is 250gb enough or would I need a 500gb to make the most of it?

And again, thanks for all the advice so far, it's very helpful. And it seems the RX 480 is the most recommended GPU in that price range. I'm hoping to have a GPU to last another 5 years.

Definitely look in to ocing 2500k. Those things hit 4.4ghz even if you lost in silicon lottery. Ocing is easy if you just want low overclock and not to see the limits of it.
    Interestingly enough you better off not putting more ram, but get higher speed ram. It will actually add a good bit performance in games. It was not that important before.

Solid-state drives is up to you. If I would be getting one now, I woukd go 500gb. Kind of sweet spot right now. Enough for os and plenty to put good few games. You are on budget, so even 250gb would great. Os and some games in.
    Gpu: one winner in that price range - 480. Nothing else to add m8. :)

sugarman wrote: »
    It won't cause any harm to it, once it's done to a reasonable level with a good cooler.

For €350ish I got

Rx 480 Nitro 4gb €220
    8gb Fury X €30
    Cooler Master Seidon €40
    240gb SSD €70

Most my parts came from Amazon.

SSD size is completely up to yourself. The OS will take up around 25-30gb. I find the rest plenty to install games and programs but other might not.
    where'd ya get the fury x for €30! I might get another 2 sticks at that price! I just bought the same for £45!

Shlippery wrote: »
    where'd ya get the fury x for €30! I might get another 2 sticks at that price! I just bought the same for £45!

Try this:
    http://geizhals.eu/?cat=ramddr3&xf=253_8192~5828_DDR3&asuch=fury&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu&filter=update&plz=&dist=&mail=&sort=p&bl1_id=30

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Like people on here I just stuck a new 390 gfx and SSD last year into my case and OCed the i5-2500k.
    Can't see it needing a rebuild for a good few years yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Skerries wrote: »
    Like people on here I just stuck a new 390 gfx and SSD last year into my case and OCed the i5-2500k.
    Can't see it needing a rebuild for a good few years yet

Tbh 90% of the builds here are given i5s, you'll all be looking for new ones about the same time

Tbh 90% of the builds here are given i5s, you'll all be looking for new ones about the same time

Unless zen drops something wonderful and very nicely priced i can see 2500k systems going very strong for at least 2 more years.
    Yes, it finally starting to show age, but it's still a cracker. I still don't think it's efficient money wise to upgrade to Skylake. Its improvement, but not worth the money. Yet!

Some great advise here, so I'll settle for an SSD, probably a 500gb one, and will reinstall Windows on it. As for the GPU, it seems the 480 suits my needs well. Although is there a big difference in the brands like Asus, Sapphire etc or should I just go with whatever is cheapest?

Some great advise here, so I'll settle for an SSD, probably a 500gb one, and will reinstall Windows on it. As for the GPU, it seems the 480 suits my needs well. Although is there a big difference in the brands like Asus, Sapphire etc or should I just go with whatever is cheapest?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4zxbjv/comparisons_of_nonreference_470s_and_480s_not/

XFX seems like it might be best.

Though you can also just buy by price.

I bought this one last week for £205,99 so it's got a bit cheaper now at 199.99 -https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-rgb-graphics-card-gx-37d-sp.html

Excellent so far, maaassssive difference to what I had before, with similar specs as yourself and its seems to be pairing well with my 2500k.

It's nearly down to personal preference really as you won't see that much difference between them I think, especially at 1080p.

The reddit link above is a good comparison between them all though!

Advertisement