Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU Temp Help - (i7-4790k, Arctic Freezer 120 & Phanteks Evolv ATX)

Options
  • 30-08-2016 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Was looking to get a bit of help if possible. Just got around to finishing my gaming build as all the parts had arrived. Breakdown of my system is below:
    Case: Phanteks Evolv ATX
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer 120
    Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Edition
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX

Basically i have put the system together and it boots up no problem. I can see all my HDs, Windows boots just fine but the big issue im currently having is with my idle CPU temp. Currently it is idling at around 80-88c in the bios. I have only booted up the system twice and have since left it off because of that. This is the first time i have used a single radiator liquid CPU cooler that is configured with 2 fans with the power pins from the pump in a loop with the fans. Its also the first time i have ever used a PWM hub which came pre-installed with the Phanteks case.

Arctic Liquid Freezer 120 Manual

http://support.arctic.ac/index.php?p=lf120&lang=en

One thing that I have done initially is that i set it up as an Exhaust as i felt it would suit my setup better which could be the issue but i am set to change that around this evening to see if that makes a difference. My thoughts are that if intake is better even with exhaust it still shouldn't be at such a high idle temp. BUt I followed all the instructions on the manual as it states. I have the Power Pin from the pump in a chain with the fan header pins as per the manual and then have all of those going into the CPU_FAN on the MOBO. One thing the manual states is in relation to the Pump / CPU cooler alignment as it could have issues with the radiator but surely that is just to do with the tubes and not necessarily water flow right?

Basically just not sure whats going on really. Thanks for any help.

Regarding the seating of the CPU Cooler:
    • MX4 Thermal Paste was used.
    • Half pea sized single dot not spread (as per best practice from Arctic).
    • CPU cooler was aligned vertically down evenly and all screws were tightened slowly around bit by bit until all of them were tightly screwed.
    • Confident the plate is making contact with the CPU.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Try plugging the pump directly into the CPU FAN header and then boot and see what it's at. Also, listen out for the pump running as it may be a dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Try plugging the pump directly into the CPU FAN header and then boot and see what it's at. Also, listen out for the pump running as it may be a dud.

Thank you for the response. Yes that was one thing i was concerned about. The pump doesn't light up by default so couldn't tell that way. Tried listening to see could i hear a subtle pump noise but nothing. I will try that when i get home.

If doing that can the CPU fan pins go into another header on the MOB or the PWM hub do you know?

Iv also emailed arctic twice about help but not heard back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Plug them into the hub. You can then control them from that just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you unplug your case fans while you're doing this, you'll get better idea. It's fine to leave stuff running for a while without them, nothing will overheat or anything.

With temps that high, either the pump isn't working, or the block isn't making contact (did you remove the plastic film on the bottom of the block?)

Serephucus wrote: »
    If you unplug your case fans while you're doing this, you'll get better idea. It's fine to leave stuff running for a while without them, nothing will overheat or anything.

With temps that high, either the pump isn't working, or the block isn't making contact (did you remove the plastic film on the bottom of the block?)

Ok will do will leave them unplugged to see if that makes a difference. Didnt get a chance last night to try anything was too busy.

Ye i removed a plastic cover that was over the block. Didnt appear to be any actual stuck on film on top of the actual metal plate but will double check that again... Scarlet for me if that is the case :(

• Advertisement

Some blocks don't have the film. If it had thermal compound pre-applied it wouldn't, for example. Just something I figured I'd ask in case.

No good shout for sure you could be right. Didnt seem like it but no harm in checking. Didn't have the paste though. Hopefully its just not installed right or something. Having to wait another weekend to go buy waiting on a new cooler will piss me off haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Maybe just double check that its installed correctly. If its not making correct contact with the cpu that might explain it.

You if you have the stock cooler still, pop it back on and double check your temps.

Then plug in the cpu cooler while its not installed and check if you can hear the pump working.

Finally got around to trying a few different things. Seems like a bad pump but anyways I removed the pump from the cpu fan loop and put it directly into the CPU_FAN header on MOBO.

Pump block is definitely making contact with the
    CPU
    I have now tried with fans plugged in to another header and just the pump plugged in with no fans to listen for a pump noise. No noise was heard or any form of activity from the pump. CPU is still idling at 80+c. Also monitored the bios with just the pump plugged in and no RPM activity was seen.

I have attached a picture of my pump and radiator layout. Could the issue because of my pump alignment?

Either way sounds like a possible bad pump?

Yup, bad pump. RMA time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement