Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options
  • 30-08-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭

reports saying a gig is going ahead in slane next year who is going to headline

Guns N Roses are highly tipped to play there as they will be touring europe next summer and 2017 will mark the 25th Anniversary of the 1992 slane show

U2 are stated to tour in 2017 and are no strangers to the venue

Rumours of the Rolling Stones touring Europe in 2017 and the last time they played Ireland was in 2007 in Slane. A return maybe

Coldplay, Garth Brooks, Kings Of Leon, RHCP could do headline also

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

PTH2009 wrote: »
    reports saying a gig is going ahead in slane next year who is going to headline

Guns N Roses are highly tipped to play there as they will be touring europe next summer and 2017 will mark the 25th Anniversary of the 1992 slane show

U2 are stated to tour in 2017 and are no strangers to the venue

Rumours of the Rolling Stones touring Europe in 2017 and the last time they played Ireland was in 2007 in Slane. A return maybe

Coldplay, Garth Brooks, Kings Of Leon, RHCP could do headline also

Think Coldplay are going on hiatus at the end of the year

I can see GB doing stadiums since a lot of the crowd would probably like to sit down

Dont think KOL are big enough anymore to do Slane since their last show was in Marlay Park (plus id say it would be too soon to play Slane again)

With RHCP doing T-Vital and the 3 Arena cant see them being able to sell out Slane

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think Coldplay are going on hiatus at the end of the year

I can see GB doing stadiums since a lot of the crowd would probably like to sit down

Dont think KOL are big enough anymore to do Slane since their last show was in Marlay Park (plus id say it would be too soon to play Slane again)

With RHCP doing T-Vital and the 3 Arena cant see them being able to sell out Slane

forgot KOL headlined slane before

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

It will probably be Guns n Roses or U2. My bet is Guns N Rosses

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Daft Punk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Spice Girls more than likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Birneybau wrote: »
    Daft Punk.

as is tradition

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

If i were a betting man, i'd back GnR. Time frame is ideal for them.

Really hoping gnr don't headline as I would like to see them in a stadium. The Aviva would be perfect or even Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hoping its not GnR. Want to see them but if it the lineup was GnR, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin followed by an announcement that Bowie faked his own death and is playing it still wouldn't get me to Slane again.

The Nal wrote: »
    Hoping its not GnR. Want to see them but if it the lineup was GnR, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin followed by an announcement that Bowie faked his own death and is playing it still wouldn't get me to Slane again.

that would be some lineup lol

If GNR play Slane next year than i think i may be heading to the UK to see them (Imagine they will play Download or Glastonbury, Wembley, Manchester, Glasgow and maybe Cardiff)

• Advertisement

that would be some lineup lol

If GNR play Slane next year than i think i may be heading to the UK to see them (Imagine they will play Download or Glastonbury, Wembley, Manchester, Glasgow and maybe Cardiff)

Yeah unfortunately gigs have moved on and Slane just isn't a runner anymore. I'm not precious at all but its so poorly organised. No facilities, toilets are a nightmare, booze is a joke, food is dog**** and the last slap in the face is always the handful of students hired as security they have "helping" people leave. Gig is over at 11.30 and the last few times I haven't got out of the carpark before 3am. A free for all.

Yeah unfortunately gigs have moved on and Slane just isn't a runner anymore. I'm not precious at all but its so poorly organised. No facilities, toilets are a nightmare, booze is a joke, food is dog**** and the last slap in the face is always the handful of students hired as security they have "helping" people leave. Gig is over at 11.30 and the last few times I haven't got out of the carpark before 3am. A free for all.

and Sir whoever he is and his son in the VIP area comes along and says everything is going according to plan on the day :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Metallica touring next year..
    With a decent support could do it..

GnR are must likely though!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

GnR, AC-DC, Metallica, daft punk... I see the same names every year in threads like these. Wishful thinkin altogether.

Realistically it'll be some no-mark band like the killers or kings of Leon... with the coronas as support.

GnR, AC-DC, Metallica, daft punk... I see the same names every year in threads like these. Wishful thinkin altogether.

Realistically it'll be some no-mark band like the killers or kings of Leon... with the coronas as support.

Ah but for once Metallica and GnR are actually touring..

Green Day are touring also but I imagine they'll be aviva or Marlay.. Won't Sell Slane in a month of Sunday's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Pearl Jam need to do this, they've skipped Ireland the last few tours and it would be an fitting rock venue for them. Could build a terrific support bill around them too.

Will give Henry a shout!

mollser wrote: »
    Pearl Jam need to do this, they've skipped Ireland the last few tours and it would be an fitting rock venue for them. Could build a terrific support bill around them too.

Will give Henry a shout!

The foos headlined so why not

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If Slane 2017 happens I could see GnR getting the nod alright, they're too expensive for Glastonbury. Are Metallica a bit too Metal for Slane? I'm not sure Pearl Jam have a big enough following here.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

bennyl10 wrote: »

Green Day are touring also but I imagine they'll be aviva or Marlay.. Won't Sell Slane in a month of Sunday's!

They would be lucky to sell out the 3 Arena at this stage of their career and they're one of my favorite bands.

They would be lucky to sell out the 3 Arena at this stage of their career and they're one of my favorite bands.

I'd put them about the same level as RHCP, think 3arena would be fine!

On topic, really don't think Pearl Jam are big enough here.. About stone roses level maybe?

• Advertisement

On topic, really don't think Pearl Jam are big enough here.. About stone roses level maybe?

Nowhere near the size of the Stones Roses. Pearl Jam have a Radiohead type following of nutters. Although Pearl Jam fans usually aren't utter c nts.

amazing to think of some of the past headliners

Bryan Adams 2000- this year and for the past few years he has played smaller venues such as the Marquee and the 3arena

Stereophonics 2002- Popularity went down a lot in recent years.

Madonna 2004- Not as popular now and for the last few years. could not even sell out the Aviva stadium a few years ago

Kings Of Leon 2011- Were the big thing back then but struggled to sell out Marley Park last year

Bon Jovi 2013- popularity has gone down a lot since Richie Sambora left the band and wont sell enough tickets to be considered headliners at the venue. Foo Fighters (2015) and the RHCP (2003 headliners, 2001 support) may be in the same boat

for Other past headliners David Bowie is sadly not with us anymore. Queen and Thin Lizzy have new frontmen and are in no way big enough to headline the venue anymore (although the new Thin Lizzy supported KOL in 2011). Neil Young and Bob Dylan are not big enough anymore and play smaller venues here now. REM, The Verve and Oasis are broke up and dont look like they will reform. Robbie Williams and Eminem ?????.

U2, Guns N Roses, The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen & the ESB would still sell out the venue if they headlined again

Praying to every god that something happens with the Distillery construction and that no show will take place there this year because i really want to see Guns N Roses in Ireland next year but i have a sneaky feeling that they will be the headliners in 2017

The boat has passed for AC/DC to headline. Garth Brooks would not be suited for the venue. Metallica and few other metal bands such as Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc are not popular enough here. Green Day and Pearl Jam (supported Neil Young in 1993) have a chance but are very doubtful.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

amazing to think of some of the past headliners

Bryan Adams 2000- this year and for the past few years he has played smaller venues such as the Marquee and the 3arena

Stereophonics 2002- Popularity went down a lot in recent years.

Madonna 2004- Not as popular now and for the last few years. could not even sell out the Aviva stadium a few years ago

Kings Of Leon 2011- Were the big thing back then but struggled to sell out Marley Park last year

Bon Jovi 2013- popularity has gone down a lot since Richie Sambora left the band and wont sell enough tickets to be considered headliners at the venue. Foo Fighters (2015) and the RHCP (2003 headliners, 2001 support) may be in the same boat

for Other past headliners David Bowie is sadly not with us anymore. Queen and Thin Lizzy have new frontmen and are in no way big enough to headline the venue anymore (although the new Thin Lizzy supported KOL in 2011). Neil Young and Bob Dylan are not big enough anymore and play smaller venues here now. REM, The Verve and Oasis are broke up and dont look like they will reform. Robbie Williams and Eminem ?????.

U2, Guns N Roses, The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen & the ESB would still sell out the venue if they headlined again

Praying to every god that something happens with the Distillery construction and that no show will take place there this year because i really want to see Guns N Roses in Ireland next year but i have a sneaky feeling that they will be the headliners in 2017

The boat has passed for AC/DC to headline. Garth Brooks would not be suited for the venue. Metallica and few other metal bands such as Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath etc are not popular enough here. Green Day and Pearl Jam (supported Neil Young in 1993) have a chance but are very doubtful.

They could probably have headlined it on the American Idiot tour but not now , plus they only sold about 22,000 tickets for their last Marley Park show

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Arcade Fire should have a new album and tour next year. Seem to always sell tickets in Ireland but something like U2 headlining with them supporting would be a great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

On topic, really don't think Pearl Jam are big enough here.

I'd buy all the tickets for PJ to appear

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

seen G&R well axl when he played the leeds festival back in the day..one of the best gigs ever
    would actually be tempted if it was them ..

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

are people really suggesting pearl jam or metallica are not big enough to headline slane?

plus Slane is a gig people will go to regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Heard it's going to be Radiohead

plus Slane is a gig people will go to regardless

Yeah they could put anyone on there and thousands of animals from the midlands will be down there pissed up with really bad sunburn by 3pm.

A huge field of ole olers smack bang in between Navan and Drogheda. No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

GnR shouldn't be left in the country after acting the boll*x the last time they were here.

Advertisement