Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I haven't been to Slane since I was 16 (now 30) and I'm going this year for GnR woo!

Anyway I'll be travelling from Galway. For anyone who has been in recent months, are there many buses running to and from there and are they convenient?

When I go to gigs I like to come home that same night but if it's a hassle (ie several hours waiting on/for a bus) are there any nearby hotels b&b's?

I don't go to too many gigs but they're mostly in Dublin so any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

I haven't been to Slane since I was 16 (now 30) and I'm going this year for GnR woo!

Anyway I'll be travelling from Galway. For anyone who has been in recent months, are there many buses running to and from there and are they convenient?

When I go to gigs I like to come home that same night but if it's a hassle (ie several hours waiting on/for a bus) are there any nearby hotels b&b's?

I don't go to too many gigs but they're mostly in Dublin so any help appreciated.

TRANSPORT:
    There will be plenty buses running to/from all major cities for the gig - for example:

http://www.irishconcerttravel.ie/BusestoGunsNRosesinSlaneCastlefromDonegalSligoCarrickLongfordMullingarCastlebarClaremo.html

http://www.concert-travel.com/

These buses are held in a specific bus parking area and usually depart around 60 minutes after the concert.

Other private operators will also advertise buses over the coming months and many groups often get together and organise buses themselves so keep an eye on local social media etc.

HOTELS/B&B'S ETC

Anything decent within 10 miles or so (at a reasonable price) will be long booked up at this stage but keep an eye on Booking.com etc for rooms that may appear in Navan and Drogheda over the coming months if you would like the option of staying nearby. Shuttle buses run all throughout the day from both towns - usually run by Bus Eireann and some private companies contracted in for the day. I stayed in Drogheda for the Foo Fighters and it was extremely easy to get to and from Slane. I was back in my hotel bed, after food and a hot shower within 90 minutes of the gig finishing.

There are also some camping sites within a few minutes walk of the castle who will be offering 1 and 2 nights camping from €20.00 p.p. I camped for Kings of Leon and the campsite had all that was required and was only 10 minutes or so walk from the castle gates. Arrived on the Friday evening and left on the Sunday lunchtime. Therefore avoiding all traffic issues.

Was lucky to have got a room in a B&B in the village on other visits but that was due to me booking rooms based on rumoured dates. Wasn't on the ball this year I'm afraid so will be staying in Drogheda in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

That's fantastic thanks very much.
    The bus back would suit better (after a fair bit of wine I slept the whole way back from Springsteen it was perfect!) but I hadn't heard of those sites so.

FYI for any other girls out there-- apparently Penneys have GnR tops or t-shirts for €10. Normally I hate the whole band tshirts and kids wearing Nirvana cos it seems cool, but I'll make an exception!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 997

Does anyone know roughly what time GNR will come on at? Ticket says 14:30 but that doesn't seem right. What time should I get there for then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,440 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

997 wrote: »
    Does anyone know roughly what time GNR will come on at? Ticket says 14:30 but that doesn't seem right. What time should I get there for then?

Headliners would usually be on about 7.30 - 8.

But there will/should be support act from 3 or 4 that day.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Capslock

Does anyone know if there are any return buses from the Tallaght area there and back? I can only find buses from the city center...thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

• Registered Users Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

"Brighton based drum n bass duo Royal Blood released their self-titled debut album in 2014, which went to Number 1 in Ireland. They played Dublin's Olympia Theatre to a sold-out crowd last Thursday."

No they didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Was Stockholm that got backyard babies and the darkness?

To be fair it could have been worse. Could have been 3 otherkins and a kodaline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I like Royal Blood so I'm happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Drum n bass me hole

They are a two piece in the same vain as the white stripes and the black keys with drums and a bass guitar.

Watched their reading set from 2015 and they'll be worth catching.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    "Brighton based drum n bass duo Royal Blood released their self-titled debut album in 2014, which went to Number 1 in Ireland. They played Dublin's Olympia Theatre to a sold-out crowd last Thursday."

No they didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Royal Blood great addition. Cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

gooner99 wrote: »
    who brings Lightsabers to concerts??

who brings Lightsabers to concerts??

Jedi's and Sith Lords ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Are there any pubs accessible in the village on the Saturday or is the place in lockdown ?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I have 2 tickets for the GnR gig if anyone is interested? I'm after breaking me ankle so we be able to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Any ideas as to estimate stage times like to see Royal Blood and GNR but FA Cup final on same day so like to catch some of that possible in the village as friend staying hotel nearby

Any ideas as to estimate stage times like to see Royal Blood and GNR but FA Cup final on same day so like to catch some of that possible in the village as friend staying hotel nearby

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Firstly - I advise recording the game and/or keeping track via mobile but that's your decision!

Difficult to predict stage times for this one given that only three support acts have only been announced and that tickets are stating gates at 2pm. I still think we can expect at least 1 more act to be put onto the bill (minor Irish act at that).

At a complete guess:

Gates - 2pm

Support TBC - 2.30PM

Otherkin - 3.30PM

Mark Lanegan Band - 4.30PM

Royal Blood - 5.30pm

Guns n Roses - 7.30pm - (currently doing approx 25 songs on tour and played for 3 hours in Dubai on 3rd March so safe to assume they will finish around 10.30pm ish (allowing for encore etc).

(Foo Fighters started around 7.30PM IIRC - Eminem came on at 8.30pm - Bon Jovi was on at 7.30pm)

FA Cup Final is a 5.15pm kick off so if you decide to watch that, I would expect you to miss all of Royal Blood and be stuck right at the back for GnR. Realistically the game will finish at 7.05pm (assuming no ET) which gives you 25mins to get from the village and into the arena. If the game goes to extra time then you're in right trouble! :D:D

It's not a huge walk to the castle from the village but will take you 10/15 minutes or so plus ticket and security checks and then allow time to get pints/food etc and you could be right out of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

my only trip to slane was in 2009 for Oasis. I had a look on google maps, and I found the field we parked in. I'd love to get back into there again, a few of us left via a farm yard, and not onto the main road that was full of people like most all the other cars were doing. Got home in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

When it says no backpacks in the things you're not allowed bring, do you think it's just bigger size backpacks, or would they literally not allow people anything to carry things in? like those drawstring bags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,044 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

no chance

although they did show Ireland Vs Holland in Slane once

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Corholio wrote: »
    When it says no backpacks in the things you're not allowed bring,
    Where do you see this? if its in amongst millions of little rules you are fine. I bring a bag to almost every gig I go to and never have a bother. A few places asks me to put it in the cloakroom.

If this really was a rule to be enforced 100% you would expect it to be warning people over and over, it would be in the media etc, since if 1000's of peoples bags were starting to be confiscated there would be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

although they did show Ireland Vs Holland in Slane once

At U2 in 2001, a cracking atmosphere and the perfect way to get over Foo Fighters cancelling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

rustynutz wrote: »
    I have 2 tickets for the GnR gig if anyone is interested? I'm after breaking me ankle so we be able to go!

try toutless.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Firstly - I advise recording the game and/or keeping track via mobile but that's your decision!

Difficult to predict stage times for this one given that only three support acts have only been announced and that tickets are stating gates at 2pm. I still think we can expect at least 1 more act to be put onto the bill (minor Irish act at that).

At a complete guess:

Gates - 2pm

Support TBC - 2.30PM

Otherkin - 3.30PM

Mark Lanegan Band - 4.30PM

Royal Blood - 5.30pm

Guns n Roses - 7.30pm - (currently doing approx 25 songs on tour and played for 3 hours in Dubai on 3rd March so safe to assume they will finish around 10.30pm ish (allowing for encore etc).

(Foo Fighters started around 7.30PM IIRC - Eminem came on at 8.30pm - Bon Jovi was on at 7.30pm)

FA Cup Final is a 5.15pm kick off so if you decide to watch that, I would expect you to miss all of Royal Blood and be stuck right at the back for GnR. Realistically the game will finish at 7.05pm (assuming no ET) which gives you 25mins to get from the village and into the arena. If the game goes to extra time then you're in right trouble! :D:D

It's not a huge walk to the castle from the village but will take you 10/15 minutes or so plus ticket and security checks and then allow time to get pints/food etc and you could be right out of time.
    Cheers looks like recording the match and catching up on the phone of the scores if I can get a signal well unless Axel is a Gunner and will show the match...Eh 2 hopes
    6th or 7th time in Slane so seen the good and the bad hopefully this will be good on both a gig sense and football sense:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Just had a look at Bus tickets and it's €28.15 on ticketmaster.

Whats the story for driving there? Is there car parks available near the venue and how much are they? Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 hargun

First time at an open air concert, kids got us tickets for Xmas, and really looking forward to it. I hear it's very strict on what can and can't be brought in, can we bring a small back pack and if so what else can we bring that would be useful. Any help would be much appreciated

Advertisement