Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Anyome want to buy 2 tickets for the 12.30 marathon bus ? Leaves from the Custom House

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Med101007

Hi everyone.

I'll be travelling by car from Athlone for the gig on Saturday. I wont be able to leave until around 2.00pm on Saturday so i was wondering:

1. How long will it take to get to Slane from Athlone?
    2. Will there be parking available nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,601 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Everyone going have a great time, enjoy and stay safe, hope it all goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

A lift fell through and Im looking for bus tickets from Dublin. Went to buy tonight and I can't get them. Is the only option Dublin bus and Marathon.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

A lift fell through and Im looking for bus tickets from Dublin. Went to buy tonight and I can't get them. Is the only option Dublin bus and Marathon.

Try irishconcerttravel.ie.. They've been plaguing my Facebook newsfeed all week.

• Advertisement

Med101007 wrote:
    1. How long will it take to get to Slane from Athlone? 2. Will there be parking available nearby?

About 90 mins normally but longer with concert traffic obviously.

Parking is the least preferred and least advised option but mcd.Ie website has a list of parking options I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Not according to Bruce's book. He said he was terrified due to the amount of drunken idiots pushing at the front. He was going to walk off at one stage.

Yeah, and even contemplated ending the tour over it. Here's the relevant passage on it:

June 1, 1985, Slane Castle, Dublin. Ireland, our first stadium show, ever. Precariously perched in a field fifty miles outside of Dublin were ninety-five thousand people. The largest crowd I‘d ever seen. They completely filled a grassy bowl bounded by the Boyne River at our stage’s rear and Slane Castle perched in from on a high green knoll, in the distance. The crowd closest to the Stage, an immediate couple of thousand, were deeply into their Guinness and dangerously swaying from left to right. They were opening up gaping holes amongst themselves as audience members by the dozens fell to the muddy ground, vanishing for unbearable seconds 'til righted once again by their neighbors. Then, once standing, they'd slosh back the other way and the whole interminable, nerve-grinding exercise would be repeated again. ad infinitum. It was a sight way too hairy for my tender eyes. I thought somebody was going to get killed and it‘d be my fault.

At stage right, Pete Townsend and a variety of rock luminaries bemusedly watched me break into the big time. At stage left stood my wife; this was our first trip together as a married couple and I felt like I was going to come apart before her eyes. I was singing, I was playing, I was thinking . . . "I can’t stand up here and sing these songs, nor these songs, while putting people in a situation where they could be grievously injured." I kept singing, I kept playing, but I was in a pure rage and simmering panic. Okay, Mr. Big Time . . . how‘d you get here?

We. broke for intermission. I was seething. Mr. Landau joined me in my trailer during intermission and there, in the middle of the biggest concert of my life, we had a highly charged debate about canceling the entire tour. I could not face what was happening in front of the stage at Slane on a nightly basis. It was irresponsible and violated the protective instinct For my audience I prided myself on. Fans were pouring, red faced, soaked in booze and heat exhaustion, over the Front barriers to be taken to the medical tent or to flank the crowd, throw themselves back in and take another crack at it. Our insistence on having seats at our concerts had begun in the early seventies after I stood, hidden, at the side of the bleachers in a college gymnasium one evening and witnessed the cattle rush to the front of the stage. I didn’t like the way it looked. I’d made my compromises with European local customs over the years, but this was something else.

Keep in mind this was the first and only stadium show I'd ever performed or attended. I had nothing but this night to judge my decisions upon. Jon wisely counseled we postpone our decision until we had at least a few more concerts to judge by. (We’d already committed to, and sold out, the entire tour.) He was frightened also, and said if it was a recurring situation, he’d honor my feelings; we‘d cancel and take the heat. It never happened again. The crowd settled during the second half of the Slane show and I observed there was a sketchy but ritual orderliness to what appeared from the stage to be pure chaos. The crowd protected one another. If you fell, the nearest person to your left or right reached down, grabbed an arm and pulled you upright. It wasn‘t pretty (or, to my eye, safe), but it worked. The other ninety-three thousand gatherers were clueless about the soul-searching mini drama being played out right before their eyes. To them, it was just a beautiful day with a rocking band. In the end, Slane joined a rising number of our other performances to attain “legendary” status and, despite my distraction, turned out to be a solid show. On the streets of Dublin, it is often mentioned to me. If you were there, you were there. I was certainly there.

There's some decent footage of the crowd on the day in the following news report from the time:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

threein99 wrote: »
    Anyome want to buy 2 tickets for the 12.30 marathon bus ? Leaves from the Custom House

Camping won out in the end then??

Le Bruise wrote: »

Haha yeah it did, heads will roll at met Eireann if they are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

anyone still waiting on tickets from Dublin Bus?

• Advertisement

Haha yeah it did, heads will roll at met Eireann if they are wrong

We'll just have to batten down the hatches on Saturday am and come up smiling in the afternoon!

Many folk heading up today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

How much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

How much are you looking for them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Capslock

Excitement kicking in now, cant wait :)
    I see there are only 3 Bars open though...I haven't been to Slane in a long time, but is 3 enough? :ermm:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,440 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

We'll just have to batten down the hatches on Saturday am and come up smiling in the afternoon!

Many folk heading up today?

MEEEEEEEEE !!!
    Boss dont know it yet, as hes stuck for someone to work tomorrow ! :D

Cant fricking wait !!!!
    GET IN THE RING !!!!! \m/

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Capslock wrote: »
    Excitement kicking in now, cant wait :)
    I see there are only 3 Bars open though...I haven't been to Slane in a long time, but is 3 enough? :ermm:

Bring cans !!!! warm beer ... Ace !! :D

How on earth will 3 bars serve 60k+ properties beer and water all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,415 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://youtu.be/jpArOtr9dq4

Axl heading too London first it seems

Not sure if this was from yesterday but makes sense but surprised they're all travelling sepretaly

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

It depends how long the bars are. 3 bars worked out ok in previous years. Like its more of a bar area than a bar.

The one thing that I hate though is that they only serve Heineken, wine or coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

There won't be 60k+ in there all day and the bars are always quieter when the main act comes on.

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    Bring cans !!!! warm beer ... Ace !! :D

Fat chance of getting any alcohol into the gig I'd say, unfortunately 😓

Capslock wrote: »
    Fat chance of getting any alcohol into the gig I'd say, unfortunately 😓

Ohh , into the gig.... ?
    I thought in the Village was what was meant......
    Yeh, no chance, unless a naggin or similar in the jocks !! :D

How much are you looking for them ?

30 each, that's what I paid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/jpArOtr9dq4

Axl heading too London first it seems

Not sure if this was from yesterday but makes sense but surprised they're all travelling sepretaly

why? I'd say its quite the norm that most bands travel separately once they get to a certain age, family commitments etc? also, it would certainly cut down on the opportunity for having arguments if you're not looking at the same old faces morning noon and night.

Ohh , into the gig.... ?

Yeah 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 38,415 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

why? I'd say its quite the norm that most bands travel separately once they get to a certain age, family commitments etc? also, it would certainly cut down on the opportunity for having arguments if you're not looking at the same old faces morning noon and night.

Normally they all travel together in the gnr plane, Possibly could be getting repaired or something.

I wonder did they fly commercially ???, the main thing for all slane goers is that there here and going well

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

anyone know how they'll be about bringing cans in a bag onto the Dublin Bus's?

I got the "important information" email this morning saying "There will be a strict no alcohol policy implemented on all public transport & private buses travelling to the venue."

We were gonna grab a few beers in town and chill outside the Castle before heading in but obviously we'd have to bring them on the bus.

MEEEEEEEEE !!!
    Boss dont know it yet, as hes stuck for someone to work tomorrow ! :D

Cant fricking wait !!!!
    GET IN THE RING !!!!! \m/

Sweet as!!:D

Just have to get through a half days work (mostly spent on the interweb) and then I'm hitting the road to Slane Farm. Cans and disposable BBQ in tow!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Ohh , into the gig.... ?

I tend to get a shoulder and some of those empty travel shampoo bottles you get in Boots. Split the booze over the 4 bottles and hide in different places on one's body. The security will more than likely find one and be content with taking that off you. I think in 2011 they found 2 of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Sandcastles

Is anyone staying in the CastlePark - we stayed there for the Foo Fighters last year and it was perfect. The rain dampened the spirits after and most just went straight to sleep after the gig but the facilities were perfect there. Hopefully they are the same this year!

Looks like the weather has changed again and it will be raining up until 6pm. Fingers crossed it clears by 7ish!

Advertisement