Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

It's a private campsite in Slane, not actually provided by the gig organisers. Seems handy, might look into it if this ends up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It seems to be more bad stuff about the transport and access to the site than the venue itself

obv is going to attract non fans who are just there for the piss up and SCOM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

eldest200 wrote: »
    Can someone give me advice for camping. I didn't know you could camp at Slane. I'll bet it will finish late and who knows how long it will be to get back home.

There'll be nothing advertised until after a gig is eventually announced but it's a couple hundred meters from the concert site entrance on the Slane-Navan Road. Normally about €15-20 for the weekend including parking and opens at about noon on the Friday.

Make sure you bring as much beer as you need as you won't get into the village or near a shop from 9am on the day of the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

There'll be nothing advertised until after a gig is eventually announced but it's a couple hundred meters from the concert site entrance on the Slane-Navan Road. Normally about €15-20 for the weekend including parking and opens at about noon on the Friday.

Make sure you bring as much beer as you need as you won't get into the village or near a shop from 9am on the day of the concert.

Thanks for the advice. I'd consider the camping. I just don't want to get the bus back if there are any issues. If I don't camp I'll don't think I'll go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It seems to be more bad stuff about the transport and access to the site than the venue itself

obv is going to attract non fans who are just there for the piss up and SCOM

Yeah the venue is ok ,its the location and infrastructure that's a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The Nal wrote: »
    Please please please don't be Slane. Fcuking nightmare venue.

What thread do you think you're in? If you're not interested in going to Slane this is the wrong thread for you! It's an amazing venue IMO, U2 were excellent there in 2001.

I would consider going in 2017 but GNR would be a bit underwhelming, they were completely off-form back 10 years ago when I saw them, late on stage by well over an hour and Axl sounded terrible which just resulted in jam sessions from the other members without him for half of it. No real desire to see that again.

I'd love to see a band like Arcade Fire at Slane with a strong co-headliner. Metallica would also be great but can't see that happening at that venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The band being good or bad is irrelevant. I was at U2. Slightly ruined by the awful crowd (my fault for being near the back I suppose) and the guy setting a newspaper on fire, chucking it in the air and it landing on a girls hair beside us whos boyfriend didn't appreciate it and it caused a fight. I think they were from the midlands. 

Was there for the Chili Peppers too the year after. Both years it took us 4 hours to get out of the carpark. Huge walk to the toilet and huge queues, bars were unplayable and the crush after the Chili Peppers (due to MCD putting on so few staff) was really dangerous. People screaming and crying. I could go on. The worst run event(s) I've ever been to. And I understand it hasn't got any better.

Never again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I know there is 2 private camping sites around Slane . I cant remember which one we went too but it was so worth it although it was a pain trying to get the tent up due to the wind but once we set it up it was time to chill for the evening. Plus we made friends with the people around us so the craic was had with them.

Plus with the rain it was nice to get back to the tent and get changed :)

The band being good or bad is irrelevant. I was at U2. Slightly ruined by the awful crowd (my fault for being near the back I suppose) and the guy setting a newspaper on fire, chucking it in the air and it landing on a girls hair beside us whos boyfriend didn't appreciate it and it caused a fight. I think they were from the midlands. 

Was there for the Chili Peppers too the year after. Both years it took us 4 hours to get out of the carpark. Huge walk to the toilet and huge queues, bars were unplayable and the crush after the Chili Peppers (due to MCD putting on so few staff) was really dangerous. People screaming and crying. I could go on. The worst run event(s) I've ever been to. And I understand it hasn't got any better.

Never again.

Think RHCP was 2 years after

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Never again.

That's down to: a) skangers, and b) p*** poor organisation by the event promoters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BearThomas131

Pity Slane Castle is so bloody difficult to get to/from!?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Cue to avalanche of whinge bags complaining about the Slane Castle venue, traffic, toilets, food, drink, VIPs on the hill, weather, ol Henry and whatever crap they can get off their chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BearThomas131

Personally I'm delighted it's slane, better Craic and likely better support plus it's a full day out, its going to be epic

Cue to avalanche of whinge bags complaining about the Slane Castle venue, traffic, toilets, food, drink, VIPs on the hill, weather, ol Henry and whatever crap they can get off their chest.

May be a load of crap to you, but other people do have valid reasons for not liking the place

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

i live up the road in Trim, we drove through Slane the other day to Drogheda, just reminded me how much i hate the damn place, 2 roads in, 2 roads out, for 100,000 people. idiots

scudzilla wrote: »
    i live up the road in Trim, we drove through Slane the other day to Drogheda, just reminded me how much i hate the damn place, 2 roads in, 2 roads out, for 100,000 people. idiots

Zero planning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Am I crazy to think that I believe it could be Adele?

With 180,000 tickets sold today, seems quite convenient to announce her final gig in Ireland for years in Slanes massive venue?...

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Irishbrick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Irishbrick wrote: »
    What I said....

Fake Slane page if I'm not wrong?..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Am I crazy to think that I believe it could be Adele?

With 180,000 tickets sold today, seems quite convenient to announce her final gig in Ireland for years in Slanes massive venue?...

Slane doesnt fit in with her demographic as its all standing.
    All bar the Wembley gigs on her tour have been all seated venues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

After my last time at Slane I swore I'd never go back. Luckily they keep booking ****e acts so my resolve has never been tested, looks to be the same again for 17

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I was there in 1985 for Bruce Springsteen,the only artist on the planet who might tempt me back,but he will never play there again so there's no going back.

Daft Punk are due a tour next year right? Their 2007 show was one of the best I've ever been to. A massive glow stick party in Slane would be pretty special....albeit completely unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Irishbrick wrote: »
    What I said....

Fake Slane page if I'm not wrong?..

Looks it, another Slane castle page has nearly 30k followers. Clinging on to this hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

https://www.facebook.com/officialslanecastle/

Here's the official Slane Castle Facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

See people talking about the gig at the O2, not sure why, as that was The Axl Rose Band and not knocking them for, was at both gigs, but this is something else entirely. Seen Slash in Vicar St, Duff in the Academy and they always gave their all and so no way can I miss this.
    I was there in 1985 for Bruce Springsteen,the only artist on the planet who might tempt me back,but he will never play there again so there's no going back.

Wasn't there as was too young but crowd looked amazing..

image.jpg

...was there for GnR in '92 though but don't remember anything of the gig as met a girl from Kerry and got, eh, distracted.

Not my youthful self now of course, where the hell have 25 years or so gone, so will be camping the previous night to avoid as much queuing as possible. Hoping there'll be a pit also so can be close to stage without feeling like cattle on the way to slaughter.

Glad it's not croker. Man I hate that place for gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Huge outdoor field gig's are not my thing and I would not enjoy it as much as I would a stadium gig.

I'm sure GNR next year at Slane will be amazing and a good experience for everyone going

That's why I'm heading overseas go see a band I want to see so much, I'll enjoy it more than being in a field . If Slane is the last resort I'll brave it but a UK stadium may be where im heading

See people talking about the gig at the O2, not sure why, as that was The Axl Rose Band and not knocking them for, was at both gigs, but this is something else entirely. Seen Slash in Vicar St, Duff in the Academy and they always gave their all and so no way can I miss this.

Wasn't there as was too young but crowd looked amazing..

image.jpg

...was there for GnR in '92 though but don't remember anything of the gig as met a girl from Kerry and got, eh, distracted.

Not my youthful self now of course, where the hell have 25 years or so gone, so will be camping the previous night to avoid as much queuing as possible. Hoping there'll be a pit also so can be close to stage without feeling like cattle on the way to slaughter.

Glad it's not croker. Man I hate that place for gigs.

It will be Croker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've never been to a gig in Slane, is it really that bad? If GnR play and they put on a good show (which they seem to be doing consistently on this tour) then I reckon I'll brave it and camp like others on here have suggested, it'll be just like Glastonbury! :pac:

Advertisement