Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Thoroughly enjoyed the gig, absolutely brilliant:) Couldn't get parking anywhere in Navan so ended up trying to drive to Slane. This turned into sitting in traffic for 2 and a half hrs before abandoning the car and walking 50 minutes to get there just 5 mins before they came on stage. We were about halfway up the hill, could make them out on the stage but mostly watched it on the screen. I was a bit gutted as I like to get as close to the front as possible. All the fields on the roads to Navan and not one used for park and ride set up, would have taken a lot of traffic off the road. It will be at least 3am before we are home, but worth it !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Did anyone catch any of the support acts, what was Royal Blood and Mark Lanegan like.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,782 ✭✭✭buried

Autosport wrote: »
    You do realise we are driving and the place is crawling with gardai so not a good idea to drink ;)

Throw them a few caneens and all will be grand, they're well used to it :)

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Left Dublin at 1PM, was parked in the Pink car park by around 2PM, inside the venue by 3PM easy.

Otherkin sort of passed me by, but they seemed to be putting in some good energy and engaging with the crowd. Mark Lanegan was dire, wouldn't cross the road to see him again. Royal Blood were very good, really enjoyed them.

Guns N' Roses absolutely blew me away, can't believe the energy they brought and how long their set was. The cover of Black Hole Sun was incredible, definitely a personal highlight. I couldn't fault their act in the slightest, far exceeded my even best expectations.

Walk back to the car park was a slog as it usually is, but once in the car, maybe waited ten minutes before getting out the gate and didn't stop again until we got back to Dublin.

Probably my best Slane experience to date (third visit: RHCP in 2003, Foo Fighters in 2015 before)

I'm absolutely buzzing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Top notch gig. Absolutely brilliant...

Walking from Slane back to Navan, with the "Gardai" not having a ****ing notion about things, not so brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Delighted everybody seemed to have enjoyed it.

Walking from Slane back to Navan, with the "Gardai" not having a ****ing notion about things, not so brilliant

Saw a lad with his face split open trying to get a steward and they just repeatedly ignored him. Was a but wtf and no duty of care being shown made me glad that we were all sober. At the red exit there was someone out cold with two concert goers shining a light into the eyes and working on them. Looked serious and when I told a guard about it he could not have cared less if he tried, he actually made it seem like I was hassling him. And then on the road at a junction we asked a guards can we go left, he told us no problem only for us to go left and have another guard **** us out of it. Was pig ignorant and unnecessary.

Still a great day, was the perfect gig and I would happily go see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Incredible gig. Probably the best gig I've ever been to.

Was down at the bottom of the hill at the base of the right speaker. Loads of room, great view, great sound.

Slash is just jaw droppingly good live

• Registered Users Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A photo a friend of mine who was at the gig sent me.

18745151_10209329062210951_923492477_o.jpg?oh=de00b8c7378d2ca91905d0a3b836bcea&oe=592C1B92

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Well that was excellent.
    Getting out of Slane wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

D.Q wrote: »
    Incredible gig. Probably the best gig I've ever been to.

Was down at the bottom of the hill at the base of the right speaker. Loads of room, great view, great sound.

Slash is just jaw droppingly good live

Yeah. I think it was the best gig I've ever been at.

Was a brilliant gig! I drove up from Waterford and got into Slane about 2 and watched all the bands all were fairly good minus the second band. I left just after november rain was played and i got into the car park and out of there before any traffic had started and was home in Waterford within two hours :D Day all went to plan, get in early, watch all bands and then leave few songs left and beat the queue :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Gig was amazing.

Biggest disaster of Bus f*** ups I've ever seen. Had to get one I had no business on.

Impossible to find anything.

Fist time in Slane and I was up nearer the front for most of the concert and there was relatively no trouble but as I made my way to the back to get out a bit early, the more I went back the rougher the crowd seemed to get. Saw a two lads scrapping and a lad literally just in the middle of a packed crowd with his schlong out pissing around everywhere :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Great gig, buses after are a joke. Transport to and from Slane were a joke in general.

As a venue, I would not be rushing back to Slane unless it was Oasis for example.

Still, GnR were great.

Having a warm cuppa now,makes everything alright!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Was messy enough alright. So glad to be home with my dog now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Just in the door kildare myself getting up there was a doddle Gnr were fantastic but the car park afterwards was a joke nearly 2 hours to get out of it not one steward in the main red car park area to put a system of exit in place
    Bedlam

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Was messy enough alright. So glad to be home with my dog now!

Jealous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sounds like normal Slane after gig mayhem!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ah yeah of course.
    It's a shame a lot of the people who have never been dont listen to the horror stories/don't believe them or not even look it up!

I went with 5 people who'd never been and they knew feck all about how long it would take.

About an hour from the city now. Sunrise is chasing us now.
    Phone is finally dying!
    Night guys! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

A bizarre sight on my way back... I got the shuttle bus to Drogheda where I was parked and then flew back to Dublin lickity split, but when I was on the motorway, around Balbriggan, I overtook 17 Dublin Bus double deckers (I counted the fcuekrs) completely blacked out, not a sinner on any of them and they all had Slane on the front. A half an hour later when I was back in the city centre (around half midnight or so) seen on twitter people were still queueing in Slane for buses to Dublin and were wondering where they were. Makes no sense whatsoever.

As for Slane itself.... jaysus, it's all been said I suppose, but if I do ever go back, for the Boss, or an Oasis reunion maybe, I'm buying a damn tent or hiring a camper van and will be the last to leave the Castle when the show is over also. I'll just order a rake of food and have a picnic at that stage, while the cattle mart of people leaving try and sort themselves out.

There was also mayhem for people trying to access the Gold Circle B from the left side of the stage as they were forced to go trough the General Admission section, that had all picked their spot on the hill and (naturally) didn't want people traipsing over them / trying to get passed them. Seen dozens go half way down the hill but couldn't get any further and so came back up and start arguing with stewards. Stewards who kept saying to people that it was not there fault if the people in the standing area would not let them down the hill to get to the Gold Circle entrance.

You wouldn't mind but on the other side of that wooden partition where all the crowds were that were falling down and couldn't move, there is a fifteen foot wide path that they would only let people come up. They damn this was empty mostly. Stupid planning... but that's Slane I suppose.

Anyway, enjoyed it mostly but have to say what I took away from it all was that I really don't know how they all ended up in a band with to begin with, or at least long enough to achieve what they did. Axl is all show, but Duff and Slash are anything but. There was one part where Axl pretends to lean on Slash's shoulder and it was just total cringe. He over eggs so damn much and it just comes across as fake,, but I'm not saying anything new I suppose, he's up there with Bono when it comes to stratosphere level pretentiousness.

My favourite Guns song of all time is My Michelle.. so wasn't happy that didn't feature but overall the setlist was grand I suppose. The order is a little weird as they get the crowd all ramped up with Nightrain etc and then they have Patience and There Was A Time. Hate when a band do that. Having no picture, or footage, of Chris on the video screens during Black Hole Sun was weird to me also. Even his name with year born and year died would have been somewhat poignant.

Think that's the last time I would go to see them unless maybe they tour with Izzy at some stage down the line. I'd go to see Slash or Duff solo again no bother though as Slash's Vicar St shows were excellent, as was Velvet Revolver in the Ambassador and Duff at the Academy. Those shows had something that today's show missed. Authenticity perhaps.

Nice that the rain stayed away for the main act anyway as the walk back, while a nightmare, would have been so much worse had we had the level of rainfall then, that we had had earlier in the day. So, thankful for small mercies on that score at least.

Oh an top marks to Sharon Shannon's Vegan Van (or whatever it was called). Not a vegetarian but there were queues everywhere else bar it and as I was starving I decided to have some of their grub and it was only scrumptious!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Just home now. Poor car has never done as much off roading as it did today/tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Just home in mayo now. Ankles destroyed after that now. Whoever came up with the traffic plan for red car park where the busses where should be shot. I now also have red exit tannoy message firmly engrained in my head. My God I must of heard that about 200 times at least.

But you know what. I'd do it all again because I got see my hero back with GnR. I've watched concert footage of him before but Jesus watching him do it live is some experience. Axl was good too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Just in awe...GnR were amazing! Slash is just a legend! We were about 6 or 7 rows back in GC and at 5ft nothing, it was a challenge to see anything but I managed it! A girl fainted in front of us and who i guess is her boyf carried her straight to first aid. Hope she's ok but she was out cold.

Lying in a tent in Slane Farm now. Gonna be like an ice rink getting cars outta here.

Didn't see Otherkin. Mark Lanegan was brutal. Absolutely shockingly bad. Royal Blood were brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

Great gig.....
    ....and that is all I have to say about that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Fantastic gig. GnR were brilliant, they gave 100%, support acts were meah. There is something about slane as a venue, real special place.

Got back to Dublin around 1am via Dublin bus.

Went with realistic expectations that getting out would be the usual nightmare which it was. I'd suggest that other posters adjust their expectations, it's not like it's the 3 arena with a small crowd and loads of side streets for everyone to disperse onto where multiple forms of transport / venues are waiting for them. Getting 80k people out of a small village with most intent on leaving as quickly as possible is never going to be the smooth exercise that some posters expect it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

How was Axl's voice? Seemed a bit short of breath in any vids I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Incredible gig. One of the best I've ever been to. Live 20 mins from Slane so getting home wasn't problem thankfully. Slash was unreal, his Godfather theme intro to Sweet Child O Mine was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

So that's what I look like from from the top of a bus...seventh from the right!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

G'n R were bloody brilliant. Possibly the best Slane gig I've been at.

We camped and I'm really glad we did. We've drove the other times and was always dreading the drive home. Came up on Friday night and stayed dry in the tent until the concert. Then a short walk back to bed. Just up and queueing for a coffee now. Hassle free weekend and not the mudfest I expected.

Advertisement