Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Zico !

Organization was good I had no issues at.all .got Dublin bus to and from gig.stayed till the very end.backn in Dublin for 2.saw mark lanagan and royal blood .lanagen was far superior to that boring crap royal blood were spurting out.gnr were superb.If your.ever going.to slane from.Dublin get Dublin bus you'll have.no issues if you drive or get a minibus your fooked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

who the frak is Mr. Keenan ??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Keyzer wrote: »
    I've been to Slane a couple of times and, on a sunny day with a great act, its one of the best venues in the world. For the duration of the gig. Getting in and, more so, out is a nightmare and the location is simply not designed or equipped to deal with 80-90K people.

Is there any venue in the world that is designed to deal with 80k to 90k? Even Croker is fairly manic when a full house is leaving. They avoid the car mayhem by having no parking, and letting people walk from city centre.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Glad to hear most people had a good time, apart from the usual nightmare of getting out of the place. I'm delighted to hear all the love for Royal Blood too, I thought that stage might be too big for them but I'm looking forward to seeing them at Glastonbury now.

Royal Blood were awful -no presence on stage and boring songs -thumping drums and loud guitar doesnt go to far to the trained ear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Zico ! wrote: »
    Royal Blood were awful -no presence on stage and boring songs -thumping drums and loud guitar doesnt go to far to the trained ear

Seriously, I taught they were very good. It's two fellas, how much presence do you expect them to have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Great gig. Terrible venue. A Reformed Guns n Roses was the only act that would get me there and will never go back again.

Incredibly mean spirited of Lord Whatever his name is and MCD to have such a once in a lifetime type concert there.

+1 we spent 2 and a half hours trying to get out of the car park and in that time we moved about 3 car lengths until they opened a different exit through some farmers sheds.
    I'm not sure what was happening up ahead I would assume cars were getting stuck in the mud
    20 euro per car for parking and they couldn't throw down a bit of gravel
    Never again!

jamesbere wrote: »
    Seriously, I taught they were very good. It's two fellas, how much presence do you expect them to have

Thats my point-they dont belong up there their sh1t

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Left Sligo at 10, was in Navan after 1, was parked in the red car park before 2, wasn't too much hassle, getting out however was a completely different story, there was a car in front of me and 2 either side of me so I had no choice but to try and reverse out, I tried jutting out a little bit to make my intention know, but every time a car passed the car behind would be an inch behind it, it was impossible, was back in the car park at 11.20 and if some girl wasn't kind enough let me out at 12.50, I'd still be there now I think, eventually got home at 4.30.

I saw a load of Guards with batons running through the red car park at midnight, I'm presuming it had something to do with that big naked fella who was rolling around behind me near the bottom of the hill towards the end of the show.

Didn't see much of Otherkin, thought Lanegan was alright, although it was a bit strange how he had zero interaction with the crowd, went for food during Royal Blood, wasn't overly impressed of what I heard of them.

GNR were excellent, it's a shame Izzy or Steven weren't around, but the lads they had in place were excellent, that fella Fortus didn't miss a beat all night, great guitarist and Slash was brilliant as usual.

Loved the Wish You Were Here/Layla instrumental and Black Hole Sun was fantastic really did it justice, found myself welling up a little during it (Too soon Chris:(), You Could Be Mine, Coma and Civil War were the highlights for me and bonus points for no drum or keyboard solo, those newer songs they did weren't that bad.

The crowd was your typical big event crowd with people strolling around non stop and constant chatter, only shutting up during the hits.

I know people complain about Slane, but I would happily return to it if an act I like enough was booked to play, that 2 and a half hours they were playing last night was worth all the pain of trying to get out of there.

Between estranged and coma for me for best songs -cringe that 3 quarters of the crowd only knew paradise city and sweet child of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Slane is Slane. Great venue for a gig but there are rarely enough facilities to cater for such a big crowd.
    The queues in and out ain't gonna be fixed at any stage however, just something you have to accept or be prepared to camp, arrive or leave outside of peak hours.
    I seriously considered going to this gig but the above as well as the fact that the support acts were absolute cack coupled with the cost involved eventually made my mind up for me.
    That said the main act looked and sounded great by all accounts.

Ultimately it was a fairly expensive ticket for the experience, I'd say.
    I've been to Slane a number of times round the turn of the millennium when I was less fussy but I'd reckon most of those gigs had a better overall set of artists.

• Advertisement

Thats my point-they dont belong up there their sh1t

We'll agree to disagree. Different tastes at the end of the day

Whats the story with the stand in front of the castle is that for the prawn sandwich brigade or what?

Between estranged and coma for me for best songs -cringe that 3 quarters of the crowd only knew paradise city and sweet child of mine

Was in the pit myself, the crowd were good for belting out the tunes around us. But yeah I suppose the majority just know the main songs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

Zico ! wrote:
    Whats the story with the stand in front of the castle is that for the prawn sandwich brigade or what?

VIP section. Tickets were something like 300 bob each from (my not very good!) memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

s8n wrote: »
    who the frak is Mr. Keenan ??

He owns the Round O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Saw some photos today on the Independent site showing well dressed women up there drinking cocktails from actual glasses! Lol, meanwhile myself and the lads were drinking naggins in the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Estranged was my favourite too. I arrived a bit late so I was back on the hill a bit. It took over seven hours to get from Limerick to the red carpark. Two accidents on the M7 and three hours from Navan to Slane :mad:

There were a few around us that only knew the big hits alright but there were plenty of real fans too. I'll put my hands up and say I've only ever listened to The Chinese Democracy album once. What I was shocked at was how long it took people to realise they were playing Black Hole Sun.

A few people were giving out about the sync between the video and the sound. I genuinely taught that was just the speed difference between light and sound at the time. The crowds at the back are a very long way from the stage and the main stacks.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Yeah, I was delighted when they played Better, singing along among the usual selfie takers in the Gold Circle.

Well worth the cash for that ticket imo, less messers, apart from a charming coked up Belfast couple. Highlights included squatting for a piss in front of us, and spitting (!) in her fellas face not once, but twice, while having an argument. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Did anyone else have the (mis)fortune to bump into that absolute KNOBEND who was walking around the VIP/Accessible area all night, just generally being a pain in the a**e!???? One of the stewards(who was great craic) was well able for his bulls**t. Even his mates got sick of him, and abandoned him!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Savage gig and great day in general!

Friend of mine drove and apart from maybe a 20 mins delay getting into the pink carpark and 25 mins getting out, we didn't have any issues. Slowest part of leaving was the walk to the exit of the venue.

Had plenty of space to stand in front of the speakers just at the bottom of the hill and crowd there was a bit older.

GNR put on a great show and from where we stood the sound was top notch. Personal highlights were Estranged, WTTJ, Coma and Black Hole Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Gotta love those festival crowds. Had some crazy woman hanging off me (never happens when you want it to!) and her, I'm assuming boyfriend/husband, was giving me daggers. Had to swap places with one of my mates at the other side of our group, after they were done ripping the pis*.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Left Sligo at 10, was in Navan after 1, was parked in the red car park before 2, wasn't too much hassle, getting out however was a completely different story, there was a car in front of me and 2 either side of me so I had no choice but to try and reverse out, I tried jutting out a little bit to make my intention know, but every time a car passed the car behind would be an inch behind it, it was impossible, was back in the car park at 11.20 and if some girl wasn't kind enough let me out at 12.50, I'd still be there now I think, eventually got home at 4.30.

I saw a load of Guards with batons running through the red car park at midnight, I'm presuming it had something to do with that big naked fella who was rolling around behind me near the bottom of the hill towards the end of the show.

Didn't see much of Otherkin, thought Lanegan was alright, although it was a bit strange how he had zero interaction with the crowd, went for food during Royal Blood, wasn't overly impressed of what I heard of them.

GNR were excellent, it's a shame Izzy or Steven weren't around, but the lads they had in place were excellent, that fella Fortus didn't miss a beat all night, great guitarist and Slash was brilliant as usual.

Loved the Wish You Were Here/Layla instrumental and Black Hole Sun was fantastic really did it justice, found myself welling up a little during it (Too soon Chris:(), You Could Be Mine, Coma and Civil War were the highlights for me and bonus points for no drum or keyboard solo, those newer songs they did weren't that bad.

The crowd was your typical big event crowd with people strolling around non stop and constant chatter, only shutting up during the hits.

I know people complain about Slane, but I would happily return to it if an act I like enough was booked to play, that 2 and a half hours they were playing last night was worth all the pain of trying to get out of there.

We were there later and loads of guards lifted someone at the bottom of the hill, but there were so many we could not see.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

We were there later and loads of guards lifted someone at the bottom of the hill, but there were so many we could not see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Itssoeasy wrote: »

I wouldn't go as far as to say that was the highlight of the night, but jesus it was the funniest thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Made me remember this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I noticed the sheer amount of space that was down near the speakers, it was great!!

Still have a touch of the fear today. I would love to do it all again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

1. Why do people spend so much money to go to gigs and just film it on their phones and take selfies?

2. Why do people spend all that money on GnR tickets, go to the gig and not have a clue of any of the songs except for Sweet Child and November Rain?

Annoys me somewhat and took away from my enjoyment....
    Was great to hear You Could Be Mine and Out Ta Get Me. Better was an unexpected highlight and after years of disliking it, I'm loving Coma now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

UsedToWait wrote: »
    How did our sneaky naggin / sandwich bag / Capri Sun folks get on with security checks?

A naggin? I got a 700ml through in the girlfriends bra using the sandwich bags. Wonderbra has nothing on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

A naggin? I got a 700ml through in the girlfriends bra using the sandwich bags. Wonderbra has nothing on that.

Hip flask down the jocks worked for me as usual. Even the metal detecter didn't pick it up which was a bit confusing/worrying :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Got into Slane farm campsite with the caravan on Friday evening and there was a great atmosphere around the place.
    Glad to be inside and dry until the rain stopped.
    No problems getting in, but the Q's were desperate for toilets and bar and food.
    Estranged was the highlight for me, but loved it all.
    Thought that the crowd was excellent and friendly.
    Back to the caravan for 11:30 and sleep by midnight.
    Sailed out in 10 mins on Sunday morning.

Advertisement