Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I saw an empty heinz baby pouch in the mud at one point. I raised my own pint in salute to that Boardsie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Originally Posted by Zico ! viewpost.gif
    Whats the story with the stand in front of the castle is that for the prawn sandwich brigade or what?
    Saw some photos today on the Independent site showing well dressed women up there drinking cocktails from actual glasses! Lol, meanwhile myself and the lads were drinking naggins in the bus.

I was in the vip section (although why it's called that I don't know) and I can assure you it was all plastic glasses. Even the "prawn sandwich" brigade can't be trusted with real glasses and there was a definite garda presence in the enclosure, as I'm sure there was throughout the main field.

I had a nosy at those photos in the indo and if you read the name accompanying the "well dressed women" photo you'll see that that was Tamara Conyngham, daughter of Lord Henry, so I assume the glasses for her friends came out of the castle kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

As a 11 year old I couldn't go as a 6 Year Old this was the highlight of my concert going years and everything I envisaged as an 11 year old.

Arrived at campsite at 10 there was no problem getting in. Pitched the tent as the torrential rain started - sat in the tent till 2 O;Clock drinking and trying to keep the spirits up - two O'clock go all set for the gig . I wore shorts as I feel they are better than long trousers that are wet sticking to your legs. Into gig two or 3 searches on the way in no issue. No issue getting pints until about half an hour before GNR came on food was sound tried to find food with least amount of fibre as possible for obvious reasons. No problem there.
    Concert - Three hours of pure rock and roll with a really great atmosphere the whole thing was a highlight for me back to tent for twelve Id say - passed out woke up in wet socks in sleeping back - out the gap at 9 Bells.
    Would I do it again - in a heartbeat!!!
    Slane what a place for a concert!
    Guns N Roses -Slane 2017 will be forever in my Memory!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

2. Why do people spend all that money on GnR tickets, go to the gig and not have a clue of any of the songs except for Sweet Child and November Rain?

Because its Slane.
    Its the same with any outdoor summer gig, lots of people (that would not usually go to gigs) treat it as a night out. It does get annoying when people are more interested in talking through most of the gig, then spill half their drink on people when the only song they know is played. I had to move last year on croker for the boss, big gang of women more interested in chatting and cackling than actually looking at the band. I was a round the middle of the crowd on sat, when sweet child o mine came on, the crowd was just a sea of phones!

I wonder what is the relationship like between Slash and Axl? is another album possible? Id love to see them in the 3 arena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The phones were a bloody curse! Enjoy the moment folks, not through your phone! But I suppose it's a memory for lots of people.

Anyone hear the "dedication" from Axl for Knockin on Heaven's Door? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,041 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

seachto7 wrote: »
    The phones were a bloody curse! Enjoy the moment folks, not through your phone! But I suppose it's a memory for lots of people.

Anyone hear the "dedication" from Axl for Knockin on Heaven's Door? :)

I heard him dedicate night train to lord henry and said he wasn't going to do it before knockin on heavens door, was that it???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Went up on Friday evening , arrived in Slane Farm at 8.30, parked the van and got set up.
    Beautiful sunny evening, sitting down with a few tinnies listening to GnR soundchecking !

Woke up to the p1$$ing rain, so had the breakfast , and a siesta :)

Rain stopped around 5, so got the BBQ going, had some grub and tinnies.
    Headed down to the gig around 6.30 - There was a "CheckPoint" on the Kells round right outside the Farm, where they took drink off everyone...... except the ones down the shorts !
    Down at the Red entrance, The usual rigmaroll trying to get in with "security", why did we have to put stuff in a plastic bag and then its not even looked at while he just ppats your pockets ?????
    They need more female security staff to frisk the ladies as there was a big back up of ladies, while all the men sailed through!
    Inside, The Q's for the bar were really long !!! but we got our beers and started looking for a good spot. When we arrived in near the "Tree" beside the Merch stand, it looked like down the hill was jammed so we decided to head up the hill. We had space and an ok view.
    The sound was very poor tho, not enough delay on the screens , so we could "see" Axl singing before we "heard" it...... And i know the wind might play a factor...
    Exiting the gig was a disaster.... Red route !! It there was an emergency , there would be chaos!!

The gig was amazing though .. Estranged was sublime .... Slash ! What a guitar god.

Camping is the way to go though... (almost) stress free :)
    Hope to be back next year for when Pearl Jam play their 25th anniversary gig !!
    Get in the Ring!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

I'd only go to Slane again for Pearl Jam. Possibly Metallica for old times sake, but Pearl Jam.

I'd only go to Slane again for Pearl Jam. Possibly Metallica for old times sake, but Pearl Jam.

Hopefully next year then !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

greenspurs wrote: »
    Hope to be back next year for when Pearl Jam play their 25th anniversary gig !!
    Get in the Ring!

Don't be getting my hopes up now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,041 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I was thinking Metallica pearl jam and alice in chains yesterday!

I was thinking Metallica pearl jam and alice in chains yesterday!

Ahh shur they couldnt all do a full set !! :D
    Unless Cashtallica wouldnt mind being a support act ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

cant see pearl jam filling slane, but id love to be proven wrong

took an hour to get from duleek at 4, going by a lot of back roads, got into the gig itself a bit after 5, having left the car that was dropping us and walked about 3k, was about halfway back up the hill, saw all of royal blood, wasnt blown away but they were ok

like an idiot i went to the bar between royal blood and guns n roses, 45 minutes of torture, my own fault it has to be said, but my brother went during guns n roses, presuming itd be empty and it still took at least 25 minutes

band was great, sound as you got further back up the hill was pretty poor, you could argue that if i wanted it better then i shouldve moved forward.. i think they need at least one more if not 2 more speaker towers further back.. was at the foo fighters and the chili peppers in slane and was maybe a bit further forward and the sound was fine though..

got out very handy but thats the advantage of being back there, just walked straight out and got picked up 5 minutes up the road ..

i know they might not be everyones cup of tea,but its a pity that the darkness werent supporting in slane,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

woody1 wrote: »
    cant see pearl jam filling slane, but id love to be proven wrong

took an hour to get from duleek at 4, going by a lot of back roads, got into the gig itself a bit after 5, having left the car that was dropping us and walked about 3k, was about halfway back up the hill, saw all of royal blood, wasnt blown away but they were ok

like an idiot i went to the bar between royal blood and guns n roses, 45 minutes of torture, my own fault it has to be said, but my brother went during guns n roses, presuming itd be empty and it still took at least 25 minutes

band was great, sound as you got further back up the hill was pretty poor, you could argue that if i wanted it better then i shouldve moved forward.. i think they need at least one more if not 2 more speaker towers further back.. was at the foo fighters and the chili peppers in slane and was maybe a bit further forward and the sound was fine though..

got out very handy but thats the advantage of being back there, just walked straight out and got picked up 5 minutes up the road ..

i know they might not be everyones cup of tea,but its a pity that the darkness werent supporting in slane,

Would have loved The Darkness. They announced last week a couple of small gigs in October. Gots me tickets already.

woody1 wrote: »

I thought the same. Bands like this would have built up the mood in prep for G'n'R. Or another band from that era, like Poison, cheesey and all as they might be.

Not sure if Lanegan is a friend of Duff, with the Seattle connections, but I thought he was a bad choice for a gig like that. I'm not a fan of Royal Blood either. Otherkin gave it socks, but had a tough slot.

Even a band like Therapy? would have been a good fit. Or Stone Sour. Someone like that.

Deftones are supporting in the US, which seems like an odd choice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Would have loved The Darkness. They announced last week a couple of small gigs in October. Gots me tickets already.

Thanks for the reminder! Just got mine there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Lanegan was a strange choice no interaction with the crowd no this song is called or anything just weird.
    Was down just behind the golden circle and gig was cracking. Sound was brilliant and apart from two idiot women fighting all was good.
    As has been said the red exit is a disaster waiting to happen. Even if they had a few stewards there to regulate it or seeing as most people used the Red car/buspark then perhaps find some other way.
    As for the buspark itself no signs pointing to where the buses were. Could easily been organised that all buses from certain areas park in certain parts as opposed to let's just wander around until we find it attitude.
    Took me two hours to find it and I was sober even when we were driving off at 130 there were still lads knocking on the door saying are you the such and such bus can you give me a lift to wherever.
    Has improved a bit so hopefully they learn from errors done but think they be more interested in the money side of it

On a side note, green exit was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

On a side note, green exit was fine.

Green exit moved ok but still too much of a bottleneck since they rebuilt the entrance. Can't understand why the Dublin crowd couldn't walk back through the wood rather than through the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

but the wooded path is still narrow? would still be a large bottle neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

BornIn84 wrote: »
    but the wooded path is still narrow? would still be a large bottle neck.

It wouldn't have been as bad. You had 3 routes (Blue - North, Pink - Drogheda and Green - Dublin) all going that way and up through the village. Removing one would have eased things. It would have made the walk to Dublin Bus slightly shorter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Why is the Slane venue much much narrower than years ago? I remember lying on the grass watching REM. You wouldn't have room nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

starWave wrote: »
    so how many people walked the 6 or 7 miles from Navan, because the shuttle buses were stuck in traffic?  When we finally got there at 8, everyone was just standing at the green entrance where you couldn't even see the stage, instead of moving down the hill where there was loads of room.
    Were those shuttle buses you mention from Navan private operators? - were they going out the Navan - Slane road direct? I arrived in Navan and someone said the buses were leaving from the town square. I went down there and at around 4.30pm joined the Q for Bus Eireann buses E10 return (these buses were going a different route, the Kingscourt road on to Kilberry and then the Quarry). Wasn't waiting long, and off we went to the Roadstone Quarry people had mentioned on boards. It took 25 mins? Easy going people on the bus. I didn't notice the walk to Slane gates 30 mins?, again the crowd was good craic). Again walking back to that Quarry from the gig was fine. And even thought it was a mass of people there wasn't much waiting to get back on the bus and off it went for Navan. The nightmare was Navan itself when I got back, there were no bloody taxis. Took 2 hours to get one! Fantastic concert though. Brilliant performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Why is the Slane venue much much narrower than years ago? I remember lying on the grass watching REM. You wouldn't have room nowadays

Can't imagine its changed that much

You had 3 routes (Blue - North, Pink - Drogheda and Green - Dublin)

BOOOOO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    BOOOOO!

This is the red exit :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

1. Why do people spend so much money to go to gigs and just film it on their phones and take selfies?

I don't get that either. Our phones were locked in the glove box in the car. GnR were playing in front of my eyes, I didn't want to watch through a flipping screen! I'm only 5ft and other people's phones blocked my view lots of times and it's so frustrating. My husband started sticking his middle finger in the middle of the view of some repeat offenders!

threein99 wrote: »
    This is the red exit :cool:

YEEEEEAAAAY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

2. Why do people spend all that money on GnR tickets, go to the gig and not have a clue of any of the songs except for Sweet Child and November Rain?

Personally, I didn't sing along to every song I knew. I can hear myself sing any time I want. I was there to listen to GnR sing, not me. My voice still not recovered from the bit of singing I did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Lanegan was a cheap choice. And hes a friend of Duffs yeah.

Last time I saw him was in the Academy and he was selling his tshirts after. GnR took up all the budget. I've seen him 10 times ish and think he said "Hi" once. 

Don't let that put you off. Would recommend checking out Whiskey for the Holy Ghost asap. A masterpiece. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lmLMf-l9Kg&list=PLVVxH2NV7UU98ID3g3OVI0jrGO7GiHfbF

As for the usual "took us ages to get out", queues, toilets etc, thats what MCD do. At every big gig. Pay staff up until the end of the gig and then you're on your own. Same for Poxegen, the Roses in the Phoenix Park, etc. They could not give two fúcks.

Advertisement