Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've never been to a gig in Slane, is it really that bad? If GnR play and they put on a good show (which they seem to be doing consistently on this tour) then I reckon I'll brave it and camp like others on here have suggested, it'll be just like Glastonbury! :pac:

It's the best outdoor venue I've been to. Sound is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 aslanroars

I was at the slane gig
    Right in the front of the stage .great support act that day .my little fun house blue angels i think as well .plus faith no more with a killer of a set .but roses were mind blowing .got matt scroums drum stick when he threw it into the crowd .plus duff asked for a ciggie guy in crowd gave him one .duff took his big chsin ofg his wraist and gave it to him .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It will be Croker

The sound in Croke Park is awful in the stands.The only place to be is down on the pitch.I was lucky to be in the pit for Bruce this year where the sound was very good.Overall though Croke Park is a poor venue for concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If it is croker it'd be standing or nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It will be Croker

Damn it to hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I've never been to a gig in Slane, is it really that bad? If GnR play and they put on a good show (which they seem to be doing consistently on this tour) then I reckon I'll brave it and camp like others on here have suggested, it'll be just like Glastonbury! :pac:

Getting in an out is a bit of a slog, I would advise camping in a nearby campsite , we did it for the Foo Fighters, the weather was horrendous but we were about 10-15 mins walk from our tents to having a pint inside the venue. . . . . . and then the rains came :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its worse than Oxegen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

The Nal wrote: »
    Its worse than Oxegen.

:D Behave

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Looks like tickets are already on sale if you have a code!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Irishbrick

This is one time I wished I wasn't right!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,394 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

PTH2009 wrote: »
    reports saying a gig is going ahead in slane next year who is going to headline

Guns N Roses are highly tipped to play there as they will be touring europe next summer and 2017 will mark the 25th Anniversary of the 1992 slane show

U2 are stated to tour in 2017 and are no strangers to the venue

Rumours of the Rolling Stones touring Europe in 2017 and the last time they played Ireland was in 2007 in Slane. A return maybe

Coldplay, Garth Brooks, Kings Of Leon, RHCP could do headline also

seriously?

anyone paying money to watch those these days would need their head's examined

Surely the capacity of Slane combined with the surely high price of tickets means that they shouldn't be too hard to get? Gerneral adm are €89.50 so with booking fee it's basically €100

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Surely the capacity of Slane combined with the surely high price of tickets means that they shouldn't be too hard to get? Gerneral adm are €89.50 so with booking fee it's basically €100

Maybe not too hard but you would expect it to sell out, especially going on sale this close to Christmas when people are looking for last minute gifts and willing to spend more than in most months

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

I just phoned around the closest B&Bs and hotel to Slane Castle. None of them would take a booking, saying it's too early!
    Anyone have any advice on accommodation in Slane for concerts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

PetraMac wrote: »
    I just phoned around the closest B&Bs and hotel to Slane Castle. None of them would take a booking, saying it's too early!
    Anyone have any advice on accommodation in Slane for concerts?

Production staff and stage crew will have everything booked in the village for a week or two before hand. Navan and Drogheda will most likely have availability or there will be private camping close to the field as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

328 quid for the golden circle with early entry tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

Thanks for the info. Camping, eek! I'm not really a camping kind of girl. Still, for GNR, I might just do it!
    Production staff and stage crew will have everything booked in the village for a week or two before hand. Navan and Drogheda will most likely have availability or there will be private camping close to the field as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Nope. Went last year and while it's safe to say that the walk from bus to venue and vice versa is a bit of a trek, getting in and out was a doddle. The walk back after was grand and there were no bottlenecks on the way and the properly organised queue at the buses only lasted maybe 10 - 15 minutes max and we were off.

No issue with bar queues either. They got pretty big around the time Foo Fighters came on but were very easy during the day.

A lot of folks go mad about Slane and perhaps rightly so if reports from previous years are anything to go by but having been there last year I have very little negative to say about the experience and will quite happily be returning next year.

Never camped so can't comment on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

I camped in Slane Farm Hostel for the Foos. Got down there at 8am on the day, got in fine, no traffic. Got a good tent spot. It's a 20 min walk to the gig, no issues. Same back, no issues. The weather was disgusting that night, I remember thinking it'll be a nightmare getting home. The missus didn't drink too much and the wind woke her the next morning at 8am. So we just packed and left and went back to bed when we got home. I'd do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

My God ... this is nostalgic ... I went to the 1992 GNR gig with a good mate who has since died.

we were both 14 at the time, don't know whether I should go to this one - could be emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

YES! Fook Croke Park!
    My God ... this is nostalgic ... I went to the 1992 GNR gig with a good mate who has since died.

we were both 14 at the time, don't know whether I should go to this one - could be emotional.

Mate of mine that was with me the last time we all went died recently also. If he was here now though he'd 100% be telling me to get to that gig. I'm sure your friend would say the same. Life is too damn short not to.

Major nostalgia....

One thing's for sure, I'll be bringing sun cream this time. Last time I came back burnt to a crisp, like a lobster, if a lobster had freckles :P

They say there have been much hotter days in Ireland since but I honestly can't remember them. A scorcher for sure.

Can't wait now. Hopefully there will be a Golden Circle. I'd pay twice the standard price just for the privilege of being close to the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Can't wait now. Hopefully there will be a Golden Circle. I'd pay twice the standard price just for the privilege of being close to the stage.

Have always gone for golden circle tickets never again it's a feckin nightmare getting drinks going to toliet. Never mind trying to get back to ur spot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Ginger83

lambayire wrote: »
    Looks like tickets are already on sale if you have a code!

Code?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Code?

Nighttrain Fan Club membership gives you a pre-sale code for all gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

I guess there will be coaches running to Slane all day/night ?
    can't stand the thought of driving to this ... would be a nightmare ..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

8-10 wrote: »
    Maybe not too hard but you would expect it to sell out, especially going on sale this close to Christmas when people are looking for last minute gifts and willing to spend more than in most months

I dont reckon it will sell out at all. I was at the 92 gig and it only had 50k there at a time they were at their peak touring Use Your Illusion 1&2 and with a very strong support act in Faith No More. Slane is a very hard venue to completely sell out. With the exception of U2 you could buy tickets for Slane on the day of the concert over the last 15 years.

Im hedging my bets on this one. Not a hope Im paying €95, will wait til the week before and pick a ticket up on Adverts or Donedeal for €60. i did it that way for the Rolling Stones, Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters all at Slane. I dont see GnR being any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moshea

keavebm wrote: »
    Have always gone for golden circle tickets never again it's a feckin nightmare getting drinks going to toliet. Never mind trying to get back to ur spot

Anyone else got any thoughts on the merits or otherwise of gold circle? Obviously its closer to the stage, but is it bedlam - and not for the faint of heart? (she's a huge GNR fan, but not sure how she'd appreciate being squished to death as part of the experience).

Any past experience, advice - much appreciated.

-M.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

moshea wrote: »
    Anyone else got any thoughts on the merits or otherwise of gold circle? Obviously its closer to the stage, but is it bedlam - and not for the faint of heart? (she's a huge GNR fan, but not sure how she'd appreciate being squished to death as part of the experience).

-M.
    Go for it. Especially in Slane!

It'll be a hell of a lot more comfortable in the GC then outside it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

moshea wrote: »

-M.

There is always a load of space in front sections, they never fill them up to capacity as a safety measure. The front of it up against the stage will be packed solid for sure but at the back near the barriers youll have lots of room and still be only 30 meters from the stage.

Advertisement