Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Found it as ok traffic wise as it could be. We left Dublin at 1, got there for 2 to the pink car park. Left at the very end and got out of the pink car park after around an hour wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Any worthwhile celebs in the VIP area ???

I didn't see anybody. Then again I was concentrating on the stage rather than the audience. As I said either earlier in this thread or the other one I predicted it would be full of people like myself, love GnR but haven't got the constitution for festivals/mud/portaloos or the queuing any more. I have to say, the loos were decent, the portacabin style ones with proper sinks and adequate supplies of loo roll - even though I brought my own:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I thought Guns n Roses were great, I'm a huge fan and I wasn't expecting them to be that good seeing it's 30 years since their heyday. The sound from where I was standing (stage left, just in front of the second set of speakers) wasn't amazing, but I definitely think improved after 4-5 songs. Chinese Democracy while not great has about 3-4 good songs and they played them all, I and I'm sure many other people enjoyed them. I'm not saying that only hardcore fans should attend these gigs, but if you're moaning about having to hear four songs in a 2 hr 45 minute set from an album you've probably never listened to then you really need to get over yourself.

Slane itself I find a nightmare compared to pretty much every other festival/big concert I've attended. Queuing 40 minutes to get a beer isn't normal, I had to queue about 10 minutes to get OUT of the men's toilets at one stage too. I've been plenty of times before so I knew what to expect, but it would take a seriously big act to tempt me back there. Unless it was somebody I really wanted to see then it's just not worth the hassle as a day out for me anymore. I said that after Foo Fighters in 2015 though and then Guns n Roses reformed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I didn't see anybody. Then again I was concentrating on the stage rather than the audience. As I said either earlier in this thread or the other one I predicted it would be full of people like myself, love GnR but haven't got the constitution for festivals/mud/portaloos or the queuing any more. I have to say, the loos were decent, the portacabin style ones with proper sinks and adequate supplies of loo roll - even though I brought my own:)
    To be really nosy.... Were the VIP tickets expensive and did you have to be invited to buy them?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

imo this may be the end of slane as a concert venue as acts like u2, Bruce Springsteen, Ed Sheeran etc seem to be playing Stadiums here and todays mega acts just dont have that slane feeling about them

I could see Pearl Jam, a reformed Oasis (its only a matter of time before they reform) playing future slanes if they go ahead. Dont think ACDC will ever play there given theres only 1 original member left in the band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

h3000 wrote: »
    To be really nosy.... Were the VIP tickets expensive and did you have to be invited to buy them?

No, anybody could buy them! They were €250 each, it was a treat for husbands 45th birthday:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Work was a mare today...still absolutely wrecked. And that's only from one day!
    I'm fortunate enough to be going to download in France in 2 weeks.. Not gonna come back alive if slane has wiped me out :D

I really don't know if there's a band if go back to see..Metallica would be great but think they are too heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

The thin Lizzy cd constantly playing was annoying as well especially as it was the same four or five songs. Got a bit grating if you were there all day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

imo this may be the end of slane as a concert venue as acts like u2, Bruce Springsteen, Ed Sheeran etc seem to be playing Stadiums here and todays mega acts just dont have that slane feeling about them

I could see Pearl Jam, a reformed Oasis (its only a matter of time before they reform) playing future slanes if they go ahead. Dont think ACDC will ever play there given theres only 1 original member left in the band
    The problem is very fewacts today could fill it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

thesultan wrote: »
    The problem is very fewacts today could fill it..

Yeah definitely agree. Rock and roll hasn't really 'made' any new headliners in quite some time. Oasis probably the last huge band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Work was a mare today...still absolutely wrecked. And that's only from one day!
    I'm fortunate enough to be going to download in France in 2 weeks.. Not gonna come back alive if slane has wiped me out :D

I really don't know if there's a band if go back to see..Metallica would be great but think they are too heavy

Metallica wouldn't fill Slane.

bands that could fill Slane (some of these played here already, reforming is prob not an option for some in the list)
    The Rolling Stones
    Oasis (Reformed)
    The Smiths (Reformed)
    Led Zepplin (Reformed)
    Pearl Jam
    Coldplay (with a strong support lineup)
    Bruce Springsteen And ESB
    ACDC (close to reform as possible)
    U2
    Ed Sheeran (with a strong support lineup)
    Metallica (with a very strong support lineup)
    possibly Foo Fighters
    RHCP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Metallica wouldn't fill Slane.

I'd still Like it though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

bands that could fill Slane (some of these played here already, reforming is prob not an option for some in the list)
    The Rolling Stones
    Oasis (Reformed)
    The Smiths (Reformed)
    Led Zepplin (Reformed)
    Pearl Jam
    U2
    possibly Foo Fighters
    RHCP

Led Zep only have two surviving members so they can hardly reform lol!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Who out of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones has died?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Eh? Have I missed some major bad news?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

I'd say you're mistaken for the who with only two members. The smiths won't fill it on their own, either would the roses..

I'd say you're mistaken for the who with only two members. The smiths won't fill it on their own, either would the roses..

A one day Slane becomes Manchester
    Oasis (headliners)
    The Stone Roses
    The 1975
    James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Great gig. Hardcore GNR fan so loved it, they are back where they belong.

Slane a ****ing nightmare though.

What do you think the chances are of GNR being invited back for a third time?

A one day Slane becomes Manchester
    Oasis (headliners)
    The Stone Roses
    The 1975
    James

Naw, man, LA rockfest:

Metallica
    RHCP
    Rage Against The Machine
    Van Halen

Actually, whoever you want at all is fine with me, as long as Van Halen is in it. With both DLR & Sammy.

But no Jovi, just in case anyone was thinking that.

• Advertisement

Not a hope would The Smiths fill it. Would be depressing as **** too.

Looks like someone new will just have to step up....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Great gig. Hardcore GNR fan so loved it, they are back where they belong.

Slane a ****ing nightmare though.

What do you think the chances are of GNR being invited back for a third time?

I'm there if they are , but definitely camping next time. I'm still buzzing from Saturday :)

Not a hope would The Smiths fill it. Would be depressing as **** too.

Looks like someone new will just have to step up....

Ed Sheeran

all the teeny poppers will go

Ed Sheeran

It better f*ckin rain that day!

Ed Sheeran

Granted, he'll sell it out and yes, all the teeny poppers will be there, along with with the single women in their late 20's and 30's. ("He just gets us la")

I was referring to someone new and someone who is actually worthy of the venue. We'll see how the next few years go..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Naw, man, LA rockfest:

Metallica
    RHCP
    Rage Against The Machine
    Van Halen

Actually, whoever you want at all is fine with me, as long as Van Halen is in it. With both DLR & Sammy.

But no Jovi, just in case anyone was thinking that.

Plenty of rumours of a Van Halen 40th anniversary tour next year which may include Sammy & Mike coming back with the band as is now. Personally I doubt it and reckon they will tour with Wolfie again but hopefully with a new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The Rolling Stones
    Oasis (Reformed)
    The Smiths (Reformed)
    Led Zepplin (Reformed)
    Pearl Jam
    U2
    possibly Foo Fighters
    RHCP
    Pearl Jam wouldn't have a hope of selling out Slane.

Ed Sheeran wouldn't need a strong support lineup, or any support lineup whatsoever, he can do 2 nights in Croker, he'd sell out Slane in minutes on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Pearl Jam wouldn't have a hope of selling out Slane.

Ed Sheeran wouldn't need a strong support lineup, or any support lineup whatsoever, he can do 2 nights in Croker, he'd sell out Slane in minutes on his own.

Dunno, Think with the right support line up added at time of sale then it could possibly sell out, Slane will always sell 20-30k of tickets just on the name Slane.

Doubtful they would ever consider such a huge gig though

As for Metallica, not a hope, even if it was The Big 4 they'd be lucky to get 50k

I'd love if RTE, the Irish film board or whoever made a full length documentary on Slane as a concert venue

Its one of the most iconic venues in the music world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I've embarrassed to tell you how many times I've seen GN'R. I'm obsessed. To give you an idea I've been to shows all over Europe, Japan and America to see these guys.

Despite that., I had high expectations going into this gig. Seeing reunited Axl, Slash and Duff at home, in Ireland, 25 years after their first Slane visit was something I had trouble comprehending once it was announced late last year.

The excitement for me continued when it appeared to sell out quickly, and any doubts of a cancellation or a disaster where no one showed up were quickly forgotten.

Once we saw the rain, we decided to leave later than planned (knowing it was due to clear up later). We ran around town looking for wellies and ponchos (we got soaked doing this rather than the gig itself)
    We left Dublin city at 3.30pm. Dublin bus were brilliant (imo). Got us there in under 2 hours despite us leaving pretty late. Amazing banter and sing song on the bus, really got everyone fired up & in the mood.

Made our way down to the circle and before we knew it, the intro started playing. WHat a gig! Best GN'R concert I've ever been to. Where we were, the sound was perfect. I thought Axl's voice was really strong, he always sounds that little bit better after a small break. Slash though, my god, he is playing the best he ever has. He's my fav guitarist of all time so to see him play even better now is just mind blowing.

Slane as a venue wasn't too bad. I had heard so many horror stories I was mentally prepared for pure horror but was pleasantly surprised. The walk back out wasn't too bad and we got on the bus pretty quickly.

Best concert I've ever been to. Need to catch these guys on a later Europeon date on this tour. They are the best of the best out there.

Advertisement