Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

Acts for Slane 2018???
    Support :
    The Strypes
    Manic Street Preachers
    Paul Weller

Headline:
    Radiohead

That you be a great show!

G'n'R were great but let down by poor support....look back at 92 and the support was Faith No More and Soundgarden

The year of Neil Young support was Pearl Jam, Van Morrison and Saw Doctors.

Even Bryan Adams had Macy Gray and Moby.

Slane needs quality support acts

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great gig.

Not a big fan but delighted I was convinced to go by a good mate. He had it all worked out and the only way to do Slane is camping as far as I can see. Dublin Bus did a great job too.

Glad I seen them - certainly one of the iconic bands of my youth and not sure there are bands at that scale these days.

Was loads of room at the bottom of hill and sound was very good there. Is a bit strange people staying at top of hill complaining about sound - it is an outdoor gig - you have decided to stay about what 800 m from the stage/ main system.

On the drinking , eating , pissing front - I was surprised how decent it was (for us Irish) - it has all improved a good bit, but not perfect.

On GnR - I would not have expected them to play that well after that long. And vocally the songs are outrageous and for a young man and young voice without the excesses of the drink and drug years. Under them circumstances Axl did amazing - most acts have to change as they get older , just the voice aspect of the songs is more complex as they are the main stay of so many parts of the tune. You should not be going thinking he is going to sound like a 25 year old - and maybe understand how mental some of the vocals were.

Not being a fan is interesting how many and how good the covers they do are. It sort of makes you think what could the band have done if they kept it together.

I arrived , unsure , uneasy, uncertain. Left reinvigorated , impressed and a fan.

Also - this taking the piss of people who only know a few songs is a bit daft. If you go that far to a gig, live music, in the rain , it deserves some sort of respect. If everyone has to be a mega fan - They could play in Fairview park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Jfrost wrote: »
    Acts for Slane 2018???
    Support :
    The Strypes
    Manic Street Preachers
    Paul Weller

Headline:
    Radiohead

G'n'R were great but let down by poor support....look back at 92 and the support was Faith No More and Soundgarden

Very true, in years gone the supports act have been amazing. This year was probably the weakest of the lot. But when they get such a main act they know the tickets will sell out so no need to spend more on the support acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Acts for Slane 2018???
    Support :
    The Strypes
    Manic Street Preachers
    Paul Weller

Headline:
    Radiohead

RADIOHEAD !!!! :eek::confused:
    Now that would be a borefest... They would need to put beds in for people to sleep comfortably ...
    Im a fan of Radiohead, but they dont have the Setlist for a 'Rocking' show,,,?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

The Nal wrote: »
    Hopefully that'll be the last Slane so any of the dream gigs we're talking about above will be held elsewhere.

Not a hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Hopefully that'll be the last Slane so any of the dream gigs we're talking about above will be held elsewhere.

Hopefully in future you'll just stay out of any 'Slane' thread so we don't have to listen to you moan about gigs that you haven't even been to. :rolleyes:

Hopefully in future you'll just stay out of any 'Slane' thread so we don't have to listen to you moan about gigs that you haven't even been to. :rolleyes:

He wasn't even at it ? :D

Have a look at his post history. Its hard find one that isn't moaning about something about a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

threein99 wrote: »
    He wasn't even at it ? :D

No, he just comes in to moan about Slane in general. Has done since before it was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

greenspurs wrote: »
    RADIOHEAD !!!! :eek::confused:
    Now that would be a borefest... They would need to put beds in for people to sleep comfortably ...
    Im a fan of Radiohead, but they dont have the Setlist for a 'Rocking' show,,,?
    I was thinking of the locals...including my parents.....and have a nice calm crowd drifting through the village afterwards. :P
    Real headline act could only be either Arctic Monkeys or NIN with that line-up

I was thinking of the locals...including my parents.....and have a nice calm crowd drifting through the village afterwards. :P
    Real headline act could only be either Arctic Monkeys or NIN with that line-up

I would love the Arctic Monkeys but I'd say they would need a strong support act to shift 80 thousand tickets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,041 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Acts for Slane 2018???
    Support :
    The Strypes
    Manic Street Preachers
    Paul Weller

Headline:
    Radiohead

faith no more and my little funhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I loved Slane.
    Brilliant venue and everybody that was with me said the same thing.
    Everything went perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I disagree, I hope it won't be the last slane gig, even with the negatives. The only other venue in Ireland that can hold 80k people for a gig is croker, and just wait for people complaining about the bad sound after the U2 gig. Also, the majority of the capacity for a croker gig is seated.

The concert area in slane is good. The sound is as good as any other non stadium outdoor gig. The hill gives you a good view of the stage from where ever you are.

The issues start when people try to leave the venue, and traffic management. However, these are issues that can be fixed. On sat, if there were more exits, the massive bottle neck at the red exit could have been avoided. Also if there were metal walk walk ways for cars to drive, that would sort out the problems with muck, and cars sliding. Open a second exit (which they had to do in the end anyway, through the farm yard at the other end of the field), and have proper traffic management in the car park. It was a free for all at the weekend, as people (including myself) got frustrated as cars were not moving for hours.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    said that the whole band were in Navan having their aftershow party pacman.gifpacman.gifpacman.gif

He's young so i just went along with it pacman.gif

lol, straight onto the chopper after the gig and back to Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very true, in years gone the supports act have been amazing. This year was probably the weakest of the lot. But when they get such a main act they know the tickets will sell out so no need to spend more on the support acts.

Support this year > 2015 support to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ilovethistles

Camping is definitely the way to do Slane... I was there for R.E.M. , U2 & Rolling Stones.
    The weather was perfect for first two but it was like the last day on earth for the Rolling Stones!
    Even though they were excellent I swore never again...

My daughter got us gnr tickets for Xmas and so glad she did. My first time camping and it made such a difference, I wish I could do it again next weekend!!
    Can't wait to see who'll be announced for next year!

The only complaint I have is the food was abominable! I will be bringing my own in future.

Great gig, great atmosphere overall great experience and memories.

" I know, it's only rock n roll but I like it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Who out of Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones has died?

Oops lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But when they get such a main act they know the tickets will sell out.
    It didn't sell out though, you could buy regular and gold circle tickets right up to the end, and for the last few weeks, I reckon the poor support was the reason for this, and the reason people could not get much money for tickets they were selling. Slane used to be comparable to buying a 1 day ticket to a festivals.

The likes of this
    2003[edit]
    Saturday 23 August 2003[30][31]

Halite[32]
    Morcheeba
    Feeder[30]
    PJ Harvey[30]
    Queens of the Stone Age[30][31]
    Foo Fighters[30][31]
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way World Tour (headliner

I wonder how many actually attended, let alone how many were sold. Seems many must have been stuck with ones they couldn't sell. From videos it looks like it was definitely fairly full though. Would be interesting to see an overhead shot comparing turnouts.

rubadub wrote: »
    It didn't sell out though, you could buy regular and gold circle tickets right up to the end, and for the last few weeks, I reckon the poor support was the reason for this, and the reason people could not get much money for tickets they were selling. Slane used to be comparable to buying a 1 day ticket to a festivals.

The likes of this

I wonder how many actually attended, let alone how many were sold. Seems many must have been stuck with ones they couldn't sell. From videos it looks like it was definitely fairly full though. Would be interesting to see an overhead shot comparing turnouts.

It was probably 95% plus sold out, very few gaps anywhere. But a better support lineup would have defintely completely sold it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

It was probably 95% plus sold out, very few gaps anywhere. But a better support lineup would have defintely completely sold it out

I agree, but there were plenty of tickets available around the campsite for free on Friday night and saturday morning.

My friend had a spare gold circle that he literally couldn't give away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

rubadub wrote: »

The likes of this

I think 2003 sold out fully. A really strong lineup I remember. It only built up the anticipation to the main act. I was a fan of most bands on the bill and thought QOTSA were the best act on the day. RHCP were brilliant, but I'm a fan of heavier music in general.

I remember being at a festival in France, where Live and Supergrass played during the day. On the main stage, I saw, in order, Biohazard, Radiohead (who had just released OK Computer) and then Smashing Pumpkins (minus Jimmy), followed by Chemical Brothers to calm things down. :(

There as an English band called Addict who played as well on another stage. They were pretty good, but can't find anything by them. They seemed to come and go...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I wonder how many tickets Stereophonics sold back when they headlined in 2002?
    I remember listening to 2fm in the weeks before it and they were giving away loads of tickets every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I wonder how many tickets Stereophonics sold back when they headlined in 2002?
    I remember listening to 2fm in the weeks before it and they were giving away loads of tickets every day.

Jeez ! i had forgotten about them playing there !! :eek:
    i do like them .... but , Headlining Slane !! wow

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

greenspurs wrote: »
    Jeez ! i had forgotten about them playing there !! :eek:
    i do like them .... but , Headlining Slane !! wow

Yeah they weren't a worthy Slane headliner IMO.

At least Slane upped their game the following year in 2003!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Something that was surprisingly absent this weekend, the dodgy t-shirts outside, didn't see 1 seller

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭glucifer

Something that was surprisingly absent this weekend, the dodgy t-shirts outside, didn't see 1 seller

They came right to my tent in the back of the campsite in the rain! We bought 2 ;-)

Attached is a shot from GnR. Looks pretty full to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

1. Why do people spend so much money to go to gigs and just film it on their phones and take selfies?

2. Why do people spend all that money on GnR tickets, go to the gig and not have a clue of any of the songs except for Sweet Child and November Rain?

Annoys me somewhat and took away from my enjoyment....
    Was great to hear You Could Be Mine and Out Ta Get Me. Better was an unexpected highlight and after years of disliking it, I'm loving Coma now

(2.) So You Could Be mine ya? A song from Terminator 2 and literally charted higher here than both Sweet Child and November Rain (When charts were a thing), Better their most played live song from CD and Out Ta Get Me the first track off one of the Live discs and off Appetite too where certainly you'll find no deep cuts.

The bus I was on of just over 30ish (not knowing 25 of them) were singing right through the catalog on the way up I sincerely doubt it was exclusive to them.

Maybe Sweet Child of Mine and November Rain are two obvious choices to upload to social media (to show their non GnR fan friends/show off to those who couldn't make it) which you've attested to in (1.)

In summary those recording for many a duration are mugs no question IMO, but it's silly to suggest thousands of people paid to see 2 songs, at big gigs like this I'm sure there were a few freebies and plenty of uninterested partners dragged along alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

There was a few in the car parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

(2.) So You Could Be mine ya? A song from Terminator 2 and literally charted higher here than both Sweet Child and November Rain (When charts were a thing), Better their most played live song from CD and Out Ta Get Me the first track off one of the Live discs and off Appetite too where certainly you'll find no deep cuts.

The bus I was on of just over 30ish (not knowing 25 of them) were singing right through the catalog on the way up I sincerely doubt it was exclusive to them.

Maybe Sweet Child of Mine and November Rain are two obvious choices to upload to social media (to show their non GnR fan friends/show off to those who couldn't make it) which you've attested to in (1.)

In summary those recording for many a duration are mugs no question IMO, but it's silly to suggest thousands of people paid to see 2 songs, at big gigs like this I'm sure there were a few freebies and plenty of uninterested partners dragged along alright.

You serious?
    The vast majority of people I know don't even own Appetite or the Live Era and they were all at the gig. As for Better, no one in this town knows Chinese Democracy even exists. I was beside a big group of people who didn't even know Civil War. The whole "why don't you just....**** OFF!!!" part in It's So Easy, barely anyone done it where I was and any GnR fan knows that's one of the "things to do" at a GnR gig

As for paying to go and hear two songs....I can name you 100s of bands where people only go to hear a few songs...For example, I've lost count of the amount of AC/DC and Status Quo gigs I've been at, where people only paid to hear ThunderStruck and You Shook Me All Night Long/Whatever You Want and Rockin All Over The World...They go for the "night out"

Still though, they didn't ruin my gig. Loved it!

As for the social media thing...Ha, I'm afraid I can't agree with you there my friend....The amount of Snapchats that I saw, that were all selfies during the gig, was insane. Have a look at U2's latest tour. The one song that used to get everyone bouncing up and down was Streets. Now, it's just a sea of phones in the air. I just find it sad tbh. I miss the old gig days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Oops lol

I was thinking of the Who!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Dave won't want to do it without Rick, but Roger Dave and Nick would get the audience if they would do it

They could do it, they could get Andy Bown who learnt all the Rick Wright parts for some of the Wall tour, he was also back up to Wright handling some of the keyboards on the Wall tour of 1980/81, he could easily learn the synth and keyboard parts of Wish you were here, Animals and Dark Side, maybe even a track or two of the Final Cut if Gilmour doesn't storm off stage. Incidentally Andy Bown is a member of Status Quo too.

Corrected.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement