Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

They could do it, they could get Andy Brown who learnt all the Rick Wright parts for some of the Wall tour, he was also back up to Wright handling some of the keyboards on the Wall tour of 1980/81, he could easily learn the synth and keyboard parts of Wish you were here, Animals and Dark Side, maybe even a track or two of the Final Cut if Gilmour doesn't storm off stage. Incidentally Andy Brown was a one time member of Status Quo or also an additional stand-in keyboard player for their tours in the early eighties.

His second name is Bown.
    Andy Bown has been a member of Status Quo since 1976 and still is.*

*It's not Status Quo anymore. Just Rossi keeps using the name, even though Rick is dead and Alan and John were shafted out in the 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

You serious?
    The vast majority of people I know don't even own Appetite or the Live Era and they were all at the gig. As for Better, no one in this town knows Chinese Democracy even exists.

Maybe your not at an age of purchasing music but many at the gig were, I'd question what is up with that town is it close to the venue or something?? :D
    I was beside a big group of people who didn't even know Civil War. The whole "why don't you just....**** OFF!!!" part in It's So Easy, barely anyone done it where I was and any GnR fan knows that's one of the "things to do" at a GnR gig

Maybe some felt they didn't wanna swear in front of the many kids there?? Seriously have you been to any cover bands lately "It's so Easy" seems to be a regular as far as GnR are concerned.

I watched from middle of hill wasn't those around me were grand (I guess if they were not I woulda simply moved) phones out were only frequent might have been the distance incapacitating wannabe film directors but sound was perfect and view wasn't too bad, area was mostly in full voice barring the CD stuff/New Rose it might have been heightened sure during the more obvious tracks like YCBM and Sweet Child but that's about it, just my experience.
    As for paying to go and hear two songs....I can name you 100s of bands where people only go to hear a few songs...For example, I've lost count of the amount of AC/DC and Status Quo gigs I've been at, where people only paid to hear ThunderStruck and You Shook Me All Night Long/Whatever You Want and Rockin All Over The World...They go for the "night out"

Not really a good example 2 bands which I like but they have a good formula and they pretty much stuck to it for 50 years! :D:D

No one knows Back in Black, Whole Lotta Rosie, Highway to Hell, Down Down, The Wanderer n the like find that very hard to believe anyway :p
    Still though, they didn't ruin my gig. Loved it!
    That's the main thing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

Watching videos on youtube of the gig, what an experience it was. Those are the times you remember later on in life, it aint easy for the intro was incredible "WHY DONT YOU JUST.....FCUK OFF!!!" Delighted they played civil war and the wish you were here instrumental brough a tear to my eye, of course their cover of black hole sun was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

I was beside a big group of people who didn't even know Civil War.
    I had to make a break for the toilet right before civil war, just getting in as it started.
    Without any lead, right on time, all 5 around the urinal started singing the 4 opening lines. Dont think anyone knew each other.
    As one of them said after that, where else would you get it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

threein99 wrote: »
    You would think the effort required to make that much of a mess in the port-a-loos would be far greater than to **** in the thing properly :confused::confused:

I opened the door and saw the gargantuan size of it, and I didn't go any further, but it did seem that it had been s-hite-ed into, ultising the appropriate methodology, but that the resulting item deposited, was of such a greater scale.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Dream Line Up for 2018.

The Strypes
    Frank Turner .
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Pearl Jam...

"Is something wrong she said ... Of course there is..."

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

greenspurs wrote: »
    Jeez ! i had forgotten about them playing there !! :eek:
    i do like them .... but , Headlining Slane !! wow

Seems a weird one now, they were pretty popular then, their descent into boring elevator music had only began

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I opened the door and saw the gargantuan size of it, and I didn't go any further, but it did seem that it had been s-hite-ed into, ultising the appropriate methodology, but that the resulting item deposited, was of such a greater scale.:)

:D

You should have took a pic :cool:

threein99 wrote: »
    Seems a weird one now, they were pretty popular then, their descent into boring elevator music had only began

That and the fact anyone who played that year were on a hiding to nothing, after what happened in 2001

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Dream Line Up for 2018.

The Strypes
    Frank Turner .
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Pearl Jam...

Stick Mudhoney on there, maybe Alice in Chains instead of The Strypes. Grunge it up a bit. Doubt QOTSA would be a good fit there, but maybe they would...

The Walkmen would be cool...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

why not? they played there before didn't they? I'd love to see them, I've missed out on them a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

seachto7 wrote: »
    Stick Mudhoney on there, maybe Alice in Chains instead of The Strypes. Grunge it up a bit. Doubt QOTSA would be a good fit there, but maybe they would...

The Walkmen would be cool...

QotSA before PJ is always great!

The Strypes would be the token Irish band, although could go different band too. New Valley Wolves sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

overshoot wrote: »
    I had to make a break for the toilet right before civil war, just getting in as it started.
    Without any lead, right on time, all 5 around the urinal started singing the 4 opening lines. Dont think anyone knew each other.
    As one of them said after that, where else would you get it!!

Urinals beside the Blue exit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Dream Line Up for 2018.

The Strypes
    Frank Turner .
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Pearl Jam...

Pearl.jam.only come here ever six of seven years or so, you'd need someone like the arctics with them to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

They could do it, they could get Andy Bown who learnt all the Rick Wright parts for some of the Wall tour, he was also back up to Wright handling some of the keyboards on the Wall tour of 1980/81, he could easily learn the synth and keyboard parts of Wish you were here, Animals and Dark Side, maybe even a track or two of the Final Cut if Gilmour doesn't storm off stage. Incidentally Andy Bown is a member of Status Quo too.

Corrected.

They already have the perfect replacement who works with both Roger & David, recording and touring. Jon Carin, keyboards, guitar and vocals. A great musician.

21750495441_4b456238db_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Jgordo

Hi. Have been following this thread for weeks :) wow what a concert. After feeling like I'd waited for it all my adult life I'm so glad it was as amazing as I hoped it would be. We were in the gold circle and had a lovely bunch of people around us that we had great craic with all night.
    Yeah getting out was painful but I've been to slane enough times to know what to expect so I was well prepared mentally for the drama that was the red car park. Lol maybe I was hoping for a miracle! But obviously they didn't suddenly build a motor way to slane. Haha. Anyway got home to Galway at 4 am, and after the events in Manchester last week just grateful to have had a great day out and made it home safe and sound. I'd definitely try camping the next time though. Those of you who did seem to have had a great experience.
    Omg! I'd love love love to see Pearl Jam in slane. They would get my number 1 vote. Someone said a good few posts back they didn't think PJ could fill slane, I dunno, on their last European tour they filled the Milton Keynes bowl which has a 65000 capacity so not that much less. And it was the best gig ever!! At least I have Eddie vedder in the point/o2/3 what ever it's called, next Friday to look forward too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

scudzilla wrote: »
    Dunno, Think with the right support line up added at time of sale then it could possibly sell out, Slane will always sell 20-30k of tickets just on the name Slane.

Doubtful they would ever consider such a huge gig though

As for Metallica, not a hope, even if it was The Big 4 they'd be lucky to get 50k

That would be a perfect crowd size for slane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

My first Slane gig. What a show. Something awe inspiring watching Slash and his guitar riffs and Axel Rose in the flesh.

Quite drunk, but sober enough to remember being on the brink of tears at the four minute mark of November Rain. :D. Don't even get me started on Civil War.

I can't stress enough the convenience of Slane Farm Hostel campsite. Plenty of room, great crowd atmosphere, next to no scumbags or the arseholes you'd find at Oxegen /EP. Everyone around was so accommodating between shelter, random invitations to a drinking session under the Gazebo, BBQ, cooking facilities, lighters etc. Culchies really upstage us Dubs with the preparation they put into festival camping. Generators, campervan fleets, gazebos, beach partitions. Really great fcuking weekend I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Since some of ye have started admitting it, shed a few tears during November Rain meself. And black hole sun really got me too.

• Advertisement

My boyfriend decided to profess his love for during November Rain,was very sweet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    My boyfriend decided to profess his love for during November Rain,was very sweet :D

His love for what though?

You?
    Axl?
    Covfefe?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

I shed a tear too but I was still alright to smile ;-)

UsedToWait wrote: »
    His love for what though?

You?
    Axl?
    Covfefe?

Ha Whoops, for me.
    If covfefe had been out at the weekend probably that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Jfrost

sammyjo90 wrote: »

Alcohol does strange things to some people :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

just about the delays getting out of the car park after a large event, that people think that is unusual.
    Its not.

At the football stadium in Munich theres week in week out a sell out 75,000 to see Bayern Munich.
    It normally takes over 2 hours to get out of that car park after a game, and thats not a muddy field leading onto byroads. Its a modern car park with multiple exits directly onto 2 separate 6 lane motorways.

Anyhow, I said it back a few pages. The organisation of the busses from Dublin was very well done and overall it was way less hassle than I dared imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I can't stress enough the convenience of Slane Farm Hostel campsite. Plenty of room, great crowd atmosphere, next to no scumbags or the arseholes you'd find at Oxegen /EP. Everyone around was so accommodating between shelter, random invitations to a drinking session under the Gazebo, BBQ, cooking facilities, lighters etc. Culchies really upstage us Dubs with the preparation they put into festival camping. Generators, campervan fleets, gazebos, beach partitions. Really great fcuking weekend I have to say.

Dont tell everyone !! ~
    They'll all be there , next time ;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pink11 wrote: »
    Since some of ye have started admitting it, shed a few tears during November Rain meself. And black hole sun really got me too.

Twas Estranged for me. Best actual solo ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,041 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

pink Floyd would be the only gig to top this years....anything else would be average...

Although I would also return for Metallica.

• Advertisement

pink Floyd would be the only gig to top this years....anything else would be average...

Although I would also return for Metallica.

Might not be your kind of thing but, U2 could easily top it. Zoo TV is not one of the best, if not the best, tours ever for no reason

In fact, a lot of bands could match it, performance and energy wise. It's filling the place is the problem

Advertisement