Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options
1394041424345»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    My boyfriend decided to profess his love for during November Rain,was very sweet :D

Isn't the song about a heavily flawed relationship?...Awkward! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Shh you :P
    Everybody needs someone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,041 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Might not be your kind of thing but, U2 could easily top it. Zoo TV is not one of the best, if not the best, tours ever for no reason

In fact, a lot of bands could match it, performance and energy wise. It's filling the place is the problem

I've seen U2 4 times and they are nothing close to what I witnessed last sat

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Not my real name

Pink11 wrote: »
    Since some of ye have started admitting it, shed a few tears during November Rain meself. And black hole sun really got me too.
    It was 'wish you were here' for me and the other half. Gets us everytimeðŸ™

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Shh you :P
    Everybody needs someone :pac:

Everybody needs somebody........
    You're not the only one ......
    You're not the only one ........

:D:p

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Surely that's "you're not the only one... that needs somebody?" :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Surely that's "you're not the only one... that needs somebody?" :pac:

*guitar solo*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

As I said, obviously not your thing.

I loved Saturday, was a great gig and great setlist but, I've seen gigs in my time that were better. U2 included

No offence but, to say one of the best live bands, most innovative live bands ever, are nothing compared to last Saturday is very hard to take seriously tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Watched a lot of the videos on youtube last night. Axl's voice has not held up quite as well as I first thought, he can still hit most of the notes but has had to change his style completely to do so. I can see why the reunion happened now, it was possibly a now or never thing. I can't see him still performing in 10 years time. He's a victim of his younger self's abilities there, Mick Jagger has little problem singing in his 70s because he was never that great to begin with. Robert Plant still sounds fairly good but has to be selective with the songs he does these days, and a few of the ones he does still do have dropped a key or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

pink Floyd would be the only gig to top this years....anything else would be average...

Although I would also return for Metallica.

Might not be your kind of thing but, U2 could easily top it. Zoo TV is not one of the best, if not the best, tours ever for no reason

In fact, a lot of bands could match it, performance and energy wise. It's filling the place is the problem

Yep, G n' R are better. I've seen U2 in Croke Park in the 80s, the Zooropa Tour, The Popmart tour and the Elevation Tour. For personal comparison purposed I've seen both G n' R and U2 in Wembley Football stadium, and in Slane. I saw the Use your Illusion tour in Wembley Stadium in in 1992 and U2 played the Zooropa tour in Wembley Stadium in 1993. U2 in Slane in 2001 and G n' R now in Slane in 2017. Now U2 are great live, great show, effects, etc, but without a shadow of a doubt G n' R were better when compared both times, in identical venues. G n' R performance is more organic, the music hits you more, gets under your skin, its more visceral with G n' R, and as I said, that's comparing both bands in identical venues twice.

• Advertisement

Gotta go along with that meself says so much that at a venue I pretty much said years ago I wouldn't return to comes one of the shows of the year (would be at very top if it wasn't for Deftones at Vicar St.) better than U2 in Arena too for me.

As far as studio releases since Chinese Democracy was released U2 haven't topped that either even :D:D

Gotta go along with that meself says so much that at a venue I pretty much said years ago I wouldn't return to comes one of the shows of the year (would be at very top if it wasn't for Deftones at Vicar St.) better than U2 in Arena too for me.

As far as studio releases since Chinese Democracy was released U2 haven't topped that either even :D:D

That's your opinion.
    For me, with the exception of Better, U2's last album ****s on it and it's not even that good. In fact EBW is a better song than anything on Democracy for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

On top form Axl and Slash can just about **** on anyone live - Bono and Edge included.

The sheer energy of GNR's songs live just blows everyone out of the water for me.

That's your opinion.
    For me, with the exception of Better, U2's last album ****s on it and it's not even that good. In fact EBW is a better song than anything on Democracy for me

Good song but felt was With or Without You mark II, I guess you could say...

If you go
    If you go your way and I go mine :D

Good song but felt was With or Without You mark II, I guess you could say...

If you go
    If you go your way and I go mine :D

Hmmm can't hear it myself

The versions on Piano and the one with the string sections give me goosebumps. One song they've written in the last 10 or 12 years that shows something is still there....Although, their latest tune is pretty good. Lyrics really hit home.

As for GnR, like I said, great gig, one of the best I've been at. Great setlist, great day. If I was to say something "bad" about it, it would be that a few songs seemed to go on forever, like Double Talkin Jive, Estranged, Coma etc...But, not a criticism really. (Except for New Rose. **** that) Really loved Coma last weekend. Used to hate it but, not anymore.

Reason I said U2 was because I don't believe it was better than Zoo TV or their Slane gigs. Their Slane gigs were absolutely mental.

Wish crowds were still like that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Goreme wrote: »
    Yep, G n' R are better. I've seen U2 in Croke Park in the 80s, the Zooropa Tour, The Popmart tour and the Elevation Tour. For personal comparison purposed I've seen both G n' R and U2 in Wembley Football stadium, and in Slane. I saw the Use your Illusion tour in Wembley Stadium in in 1992 and U2 played the Zooropa tour in Wembley Stadium in 1993. U2 in Slane in 2001 and G n' R now in Slane in 2017. Now U2 are great live, great show, effects, etc, but without a shadow of a doubt G n' R were better when compared both times, in identical venues. G n' R performance is more organic, the music hits you more, gets under your skin, its more visceral with G n' R, and as I said, that's comparing both bands in identical venues twice.

Not done as many U2 shows as you, but agreed have seen U2 3 times not even close to the energy of Axl/Slash/Duff line up of Guns n' roses.
    Both have brilliant songs, setlists and stage show but Guns raw energy wins everytime. When you look at Slash especially, it's like no time has gone by.

I've been to gigs of almost every band going at this stage, and honestly not even one comes close.

Only thing I'd have changed on Saturday was the support acts. Royal blood would have been good for the first band, then the Darkness (would have been savage at getting the crowd pumped - honestly they are very talented & great live show). The Darkness are supporting GN'R on some of the Euro tour, raging we didn't get them for Slane!

Heard a rumour that Adler is rejoining for some songs on the American tour. That would be epic, the groove on that guys drumming! Izzy would be the icing though

If I was to say something "bad" about it, it would be that a few songs seemed to go on forever, like Double Talkin Jive, Estranged, Coma etc...But, not a criticism really. (Except for New Rose. **** that) Really loved Coma last weekend. :(

Funny how everyone interprets things differently but I'd argue that is the thing I love about guns. They have EPIC songs, I love every note, key change, solo in all of those songs you describe as going on forever. They're all classic songs.

Jayus How the freak did you hate Estranged and Coma? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

If I was to say something "bad" about it, it would be that a few songs seemed to go on forever, like Double Talkin Jive, Estranged, Coma etc...But, not a criticism really. (Except for New Rose. **** that) Really loved Coma last weekend. :(

Funny how everyone interprets things differently but I'd argue that is the thing I love about guns. They have EPIC songs, I love every note, key change, solo in all of those songs you describe as going on forever. They're all classic songs.

I watched their Slane performance of Coma twice last night on YouTube, and I think I got into it even more! - noticed parts I hadn't noticed on the day. Duff's bass seems to clang along on the Slane recording - a great sound!!

Yeah I moshed the hell out for Coma! This is exactly why I don't see flying to London to see them again as a waste of money :D

Oh I knew it was coming. Thing is, I'm a guitarist and the fretboard noodling can test any audience's patience. I'm well aware of that when playing myself.

I love Estranged .. Never said I hated it. I disliked Coma for some odd reason. Genuinely can't tell you why. It turned me off as soon as the band came in... But, the other night, I was like, "bit more of that please" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wonder would Aiken bring Bruce Springsteen and the ESB back too Slane ??? Maybe an anniversary show or something

Personally I'd hate it as I'm seen him in a few stadiums around the country the last number of years and they suite him more than a huge field. Slane suited him in 1985 as he appealed too a lot younger people back then (still appeals too young people nowadays)

Never went too Slane Castle and don't think I ever will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I wonder would Aiken bring Bruce Springsteen and the ESB back too Slane ??? Maybe an anniversary show or something

Personally I'd hate it as I'm seen him in a few stadiums around the country the last number of years and they suite him more than a huge field. Slane suited him in 1985 as he appealed too a lot younger people back then (still appeals too young people nowadays)

Getting in and out can be a nightmare but it's a great spot for a gig, camping being the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

PTH2009 wrote: »

I think it would be unlikely, because Aiken haven't used Slane as a venue in a long time.

I don't know who promoted the David Bowie gig in 1987, but in 1992 when Guns N Roses played, it was MCD, and I think any Slane gig since then has been promoted by MCD.

As far as I know, any time Bruce Springsteen has played in Ireland, it has been with Aiken Promotions.
    Perhaps MCD have an arrangement to use Slane Castle every year?

Over recent years, for outdoor shows, it is interesting to note, that MCD use The Aviva Stadium, and Aiken uses The RDS, and both MCD and Aiken have used Croke Park, but that any live gigs in the Aviva have been MCD shows, for example Madonna a few years ago, AC/DC in 2015, and next month Phil Collins, and any live shows in the RDS have been Aiken shows, for example the Bruce Springsteen gigs over the years since at least 2003, Christy Moore, a few years ago and Neil Young in 2013, when he was touring the Psychedelic Pill album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭thesultan

Exeggcute wrote: »
    On top form Axl and Slash can just about **** on anyone live - Bono and Edge included.

The sheer energy of GNR's songs live just blows everyone out of the water for me.
    Not the who

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭BornIn84

I flew to Madrid on Friday and was in the Vincent Calderon last night. To say the gig was amazing is an understatement. Blew my mind. Preferred it to slane if I'm being honest. By a lot! Maybe it was my position but it was also partly the crowd. I thought Irish audiences were good, well my god the Spanish love their rock and really get into it. Best gig of my life? Probably

Advertisement