Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,585 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

My God ... this is nostalgic ... I went to the 1992 GNR gig with a good mate who has since died.

we were both 14 at the time, don't know whether I should go to this one - could be emotional.

You should go and also same for Outlaw Pete, enjoy, I'm sure your mates will be there too watching ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Will there be campervan spaces in the adjacent campsite?

A sure sign of my age

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DM_Punk

lambayire wrote: »
    Looks like tickets are already on sale if you have a code!

How do you get a code?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Was there a story of one then maybe slash?

Carried into a limo outside his hotel before the gig in slane ?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

DM_Punk wrote: »
    How do you get a code?

http://www.gunsnroses.com/subscribe

don't know of it's too late now.

2 lads here at work signed up yesterday and got their tickets all sorted.
    No Friday Ticketmaster panic for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Nope. Went last year and while it's safe to say that the walk from bus to venue and vice versa is a bit of a trek, getting in and out was a doddle. The walk back after was grand and there were no bottlenecks on the way and the properly organised queue at the buses only lasted maybe 10 - 15 minutes max and we were off.

No issue with bar queues either. They got pretty big around the time Foo Fighters came on but were very easy during the day.

A lot of folks go mad about Slane and perhaps rightly so if reports from previous years are anything to go by but having been there last year I have very little negative to say about the experience and will quite happily be returning next year.

Never camped so can't comment on that.

Sounds not too bad at all. Where were you traveling from/to?

Looking at the 2015 Garda page and it seems the buses mainly travel from Dublin, Drogheda and Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

ticketmaster apparently sells the presale code with fanclub membership for 80 euro. Can someone please confirm that buying it from the gnr site for 45 dollars (still) works fine? Or is there also a hidden cost of additional $40 somewhere?

edit: sorted. When using the first line to order instead of the second line it's 42 instead of 80 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

sabrewulf wrote: »
    ticketmaster apparently sells the presale code with fanclub membership for 80 euro. Can someone please confirm that buying it from the gnr site for 45 dollars (still) works fine? Or is there also a hidden cost of additional $40 somewhere?
    thanks

$80 is for a premium membership. $40 is the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

gooner99 wrote: »
    Sounds not too bad at all. Where were you traveling from/to?

Looking at the 2015 Garda page and it seems the buses mainly travel from Dublin, Drogheda and Navan.

I was traveling to and from Dublin city centre, I imagine that's where the majority would be going with a few smaller coach companies going elsewhere around the country.

I was traveling to and from Dublin city centre, I imagine that's where the majority would be going with a few smaller coach companies going elsewhere around the country.

Cheers. So you are saying it was ok. Reason I ask is that everyone I speak to has negative comments on travel to Dublin after the concert (not foo fighters)?

Who did you travel with?

Where was the pickup/dropoff points in Dublin?

Did you leave before it finished or waited till it cleared a bit?

Long walk from the venue to the bus?

Long wait when you got to the bus?

Buses over crowded?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

moshea wrote: »
    Anyone else got any thoughts on the merits or otherwise of gold circle? Obviously its closer to the stage, but is it bedlam - and not for the faint of heart? (she's a huge GNR fan, but not sure how she'd appreciate being squished to death as part of the experience).

Any past experience, advice - much appreciated.

-M.

Depends on how much of a fan you are! If you're a massive fan, then get the best ticket you can afford (or more ;)) I think it would be so disappointing as a huge fan to be stuck far back and not able to see much.

funnyname wrote: »
    Will there be campervan spaces in the adjacent campsite?

A sure sign of my age

This is GNR 2017... You won't be the only one there of a certain age!! Anyone who was a fan when AFD came out is now in their 40s at least.

I wonder do the band look out at the audience and think "Jeez my fans are looking much older than they used to"?!

Anyone who has been to a Slane gig in recent years - Where will there be better craic after the gig?? I don't want to stay in Slane or nearby if it's going to be dead after everyone has gone home. Or do lots of people stay nearby and congregate somewhere for post-gig festivities??

Cheers. So you are saying it was ok. Reason I ask is that everyone I speak to has negative comments on travel to Dublin after the concert (not foo fighters)? Yes, it was grand, no issues. Can't speak for previous Slane gigs but organisation for Foo's was great

Who did you travel with? Dublin Bus

Where was the pickup/dropoff points in Dublin? Parnell Sq. just opposite the Rotunda hospital

Did you leave before it finished or waited till it cleared a bit? I waited until the very end when the flood lights came on, coming from the pit

Long walk from the venue to the bus? About 15 minute walk to bus queue

Long wait when you got to the bus? Again, about 15 minutes to actually get on the bus once at the queue

Buses over crowded? No, they filled it up until all seats were filled, may have been a couple standing but it wasn't like a rush hour bus

Thanks.

Answers in bold. My opinion? If you really want to see Guns n Roses, just go, this is likely the last time we'll ever see them on these shores I would reckon. The way a lot of people are going on about the venue is completely over the top. Yes, it's less convenient than a Dublin venue.

Is it a nightmare? No, not remotely (again, only speaking for the most recent Slane gig).

Is it more convenient than going to London or elsewhere to see them? Without a shadow of a doubt. Cost of flights and accommodation and possibly time off work, waiting a few hours at the airport on both sides, travel to and from the airport etc. It's a no brainer really IMO

Answers in bold. My opinion? If you really want to see Guns n Roses, just go, this is likely the last time we'll ever see them on these shores I would reckon. The way a lot of people are going on about the venue is completely over the top. Yes, it's less convenient than a Dublin venue.

Is it a nightmare? No, not remotely (again, only speaking for the most recent Slane gig).

Is it more convenient than going to London or elsewhere to see them? Without a shadow of a doubt. Cost of flights and accommodation and possibly time off work, waiting a few hours at the airport on both sides, travel to and from the airport etc. It's a no brainer really IMO

Thanks for the reply. Tickets booked already. Just looking at options. Hotel, B&B, Camping. But if it was fine on the bus in 2015, it should be again. Same promoter this time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cheers. So you are saying it was ok. Reason I ask is that everyone I speak to has negative comments on travel to Dublin after the concert (not foo fighters)? Yes, it was grand, no issues. Can't speak for previous Slane gigs but organisation for Foo's was great

Who did you travel with? Dublin Bus

Where was the pickup/dropoff points in Dublin? Parnell Sq. just opposite the Rotunda hospital

Did you leave before it finished or waited till it cleared a bit? I waited until the very end when the flood lights came on, coming from the pit

Long walk from the venue to the bus? About 15 minute walk to bus queue

Long wait when you got to the bus? Again, about 15 minutes to actually get on the bus once at the queue

Buses over crowded? No, they filled it up until all seats were filled, may have been a couple standing but it wasn't like a rush hour bus

Thanks.

Pfft. Do you work for MCD or something?!
    Slane is like they took Auschwitz and rebuilt it in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I agree that foos was the most organised slane, but 15 minutes from the pit to the bus queue??? Unless the bus queue stretched to the pit, that isn't possible.

The Nal wrote: »

Do you work for Croke Park or Aiken Promotions? All you've done is constantly bitch about the venue. How many gigs have you been to in Slane and when is the last time you were there? One year there was mayhem. There was no hassle with transport either to or from the Foo Fighters gig last year.

Do you work for Croke Park or Aiken Promotions? All you've done is constantly bitch about the venue. How many gigs have you been to in Slane and when is the last time you were there? One year there was mayhem. There was no hassle with transport either to or from the Foo Fighters gig last year.
    I didn't go to the Foos because I'm not a cúnt.

Thousands beg to differ after last year. Heres the boards.ie thread from the aftermath. A lot of negative feedback. Again.

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057325591/78?

Take off your MCD promo hat, you mole.

Its sh1t every year.

Nope, I certainly don't. I was at AC/DC in Punchestown and can attest to the absolute shambles of the organisation getting back from that. The same cannot be said of Foo Fighters at Slane (in my case).
    I agree that foos was the most organised slane, but 15 minutes from the pit to the bus queue??? Unless the bus queue stretched to the pit, that isn't possible.

It may have been 20 but certainly was no more than that, there were no stoppages or bottlenecks on the way to the bus queue, we were constantly moving up until the final queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

In fairness, in recent years - aside from Oasis in '09 which I witnessed for myself - I haven't heard of many dreadful reports of Slane. That's taken KOL, Bon Jovi, Eminem and Foo Fighters gigs into account.

Some people are making it out that the concert is taking place in Syria rather than Meath. In this thread I've read laughable nonsense like, after MCD, Gn'R and whoever else gets a cut of the ticket money there won't be cash left for toilets, bars, food vendors.

Like most gigs, there certainly will be queues for toilets, bars, buses and you'll most likely need a small mortgage for a hotdog, but you'll get to the concert and back in one piece.

Pete Moss wrote: »

In fairness, in recent years - aside from Oasis in '09 which I witnessed for myself - I haven't heard of many dreadful reports of Slane. That's taken KOL, Bon Jovi, Eminem and Foo Fighters gigs into account.

Some people are making it out that the concert is taking place in Syria rather than Meath. In this thread I've read laughable nonsense like, after MCD, Gn'R and whoever else gets a cut of the ticket money there won't be cash left for toilets, bars, food vendors.

Like most gigs, there certainly will be queues for toilets, bars, buses and you'll most likely need a small mortgage for a hotdog, but you'll get to the concert and back in one piece.
    Ah the oul' Irish attitude. "Lucky to have em here" sort of thing.
    30 min queues for toilets, food and bars,1 bank machine onsite between 80,000 people, zero carpark/security staff paid to be there after the gig to get people home etc. Doesn't happen anymore in most civilised countries. Especially at these prices. And I've been to lots of gigs elsewhere.
    Grand though. Sure its a bit of craic. Get the slab of cans and the pink cowboy hats out.
    Olé, Olé Olé Olé, Olé, Olé.....

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

30 min queues for toilets, food and bars,1 bank machine onsite between 80,000 people, zero carpark/security staff paid to be there after the gig to get people home etc. Doesn't happen anymore in most civilised countries. Especially at these prices. And I've been to lots of gigs elsewhere.
    Grand though. Sure its a bit of craic. Get the slab of cans and the pink cowboy hats out.

Doesn't happen here either in recent years. I'd no problem using a toilet, buying a beer and there was plenty of car park attendants at The Stone Roses gig in Marley Park this year.

You sound like The Trout of No Craic - I imagine you bring homemade sandwiches with you to a concert. I'd be delighted if people like you went abroad for more concerts, so you can admire how quick a queue moves on the continent.

Likewise others will say "the Irish begrudgery" which has been used in other threads. Basically taking an emotion and insert where appropriate and apply to the population.

Having brushed through the post-gig Foo's posts there's really not a huge amount of horror stories. Mostly amounted to a few folks complaining about lack of ATMs, some queues and the fact it rained and got a bit muddy near the end of the night. I didn't witness these problems as I brought cash and I didn't use the loo or go to the bar when Foos came (before hand there were barely any queues for either).

Your posts come across very angry and when you accuse someone of working for the promoter because they had a good time, announce you didn't go because you're not a cúnt or compare the experience to Auschwitz, it doesn't really lend much credence to your posts.

I didn't go to the Foos because I'm not a cúnt.

Thousands beg to differ after last year. Heres the boards.ie thread from the aftermath. A lot of negative feedback. Again.

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057325591/78?

Take off your MCD promo hat, you mole.

Its sh1t every year.

Well I won't try confirm or deny your first statement and I don't plan wasting my time reading that entire thread so I just glanced through it. Most of the complaints I saw were about the state of the field, it was an absolute washout that day. Nothing the venue or organizers could do about that.

Only one ATM - Who goes to a gig in the middle of no where and doesn't bring cash?

Queues - There's 80,000 people in the one place. There's always going to be queues for toilets, bars and food. I was no more than 10 mins in any queue I was in that day.

You're basing your opinion on other peoples experience and the fact that the Oasis gig 7 years ago was a disaster for transport. Unless you've been there recently you're talking through your ass.

There's also a lot more posts in that thread about how great the gig was than there is with people complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Slane might be tricky to get in and out of but it is by far the best venue for an outdoor gig anywhere in Ireland. Where else are you going to find a natural amphitheatre where the sound travels up the hill so even those at the back can hear it. Croker and Lansdowne are woeful for the sound high up, total waste of time unless you are on the pitch.

Slane has often been picked in lists of the best music venues in the world- there are good reasons for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭phildenny

My 13 year old son is mad into Guns n roses, and is begging to go. But I said no, no, no, and reading here doesn't do anything to really change my mind. Would i be mad to let him go, and how easy would it be to stay with him, he's small for his age too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

phildenny wrote: »
    My 13 year old son is mad into Guns n roses, and is begging to go. But I said no, no, no, and reading here doesn't do anything to really change my mind. Would i be mad to let him go, and how easy would it be to stay with him, he's small for his age too.

I knw these would be very expensive

http://www.slanecastle.ie/castle/castle_vip.php

But may be the safest thing for a 13 year old and u have a seat in the grandstand to overlook everything too

info Will prob get updated for the GNR soon enough

I'd say there were a lot of underage kids and seanagins going on back in 1992 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭numbernine

Well I won't try confirm or deny your first statement and I don't plan wasting my time reading that entire thread so I just glanced through it. Most of the complaints I saw were about the state of the field, it was an absolute washout that day. Nothing the venue or organizers could do about that.

Only one ATM - Who goes to a gig in the middle of no where and doesn't bring cash?

Queues - There's 80,000 people in the one place. There's always going to be queues for toilets, bars and food. I was no more than 10 mins in any queue I was in that day.

You're basing your opinion on other peoples experience and the fact that the Oasis gig 7 years ago was a disaster for transport. Unless you've been there recently you're talking through your ass.

There's also a lot more posts in that thread about how great the gig was than there is with people complaining about it.

Bon jovi was fine, no queues and no queing for buses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

phildenny wrote: »

You would be mad not to let him go if he is big into them. Theyre not that likely to ever play here again so he may never see them if you dont bring him.

Pretty easy to stay with him, Slane is a very large venue that could hold 100,000+. It wont be jammers throughout the whole venue, you could easily base yourselves halfway up the hill, have a great view and no worries of losing him. Obviously make sure he knows how to get back to your spot and also have a contingency plan if you did happen to get separated (meet under the big screen up on the hill or else the marked meeting spot just at the main entrance to the venue). Mobile coverage will be available but can be patchy at times so good to have a back up plan. But definitely take him, he will seriously thank you in years to come.

Advertisement