Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting Agent Fees

Options
  • 30-08-2016 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have noticed that there has been no deposit to my account this month from the agent that is managing our rental property. The current tenant has just signed a new one year lease. Is it typical for letting agent to charge the one months rent EVERY year or is it just at the beginning of a new tenancy.

And while I'm at it... Do I need to contact the PRTB and re register (and pay) the tenancy renewal or should the letting agent be looking after that on my behalf?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There's no need to pay the RTB fee again until your tenant has been there for 4 years, then they enter a further Part 4 tenancy which the RTB do need to have re-registered. On the agent's side, they will try to get a tenant to sign a lease every year and charge you for the pleasure.

........ Is it typical for letting agent to charge the one months rent EVERY year
    Yes. Although if they are charging a full months rent they are quite expensive.
    ......And while I'm at it... Do I need to contact the PRTB and re register (and pay) the tenancy renewal or should the letting agent be looking after that on my behalf?

If that was done previously it's valid for 4 years.

Generally letting agents are responsible to ensure tenant fills in their part of form and than letting agent forwards that to landlord in good time to enable landlord register the tenancy on time avoiding the late fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

Hi All,

I have noticed that there has been no deposit to my account this month from the agent that is managing our rental property. The current tenant has just signed a new one year lease. Is it typical for letting agent to charge the one months rent EVERY year or is it just at the beginning of a new tenancy.

And while I'm at it... Do I need to contact the PRTB and re register (and pay) the tenancy renewal or should the letting agent be looking after that on my behalf?

Thanks!

I have been in contact with a lot of letting agents over the last while as I look after some properties for relatives and have decided to charge them for it to make them consider just going to an agent :)

Here are the rough average prices I got quoted for letting and managing.

Some slightly higher, some slightly lower, but here is the average and I personally would not pay any more than this.

Letting only
    €500 + Vat @23% one off.

Letting and Property Management - Ongoing (The one I would go for)
    €40 per month + VAT @23%
    Or a lot of them go by percentage. The average is 6% + Vat @23%
    So you pay the €500 one off when they get a tenant and then the ongoing €40 per month.

Renewal of the Lease where a current tenant renews their lease
    €70 + Vat @ 23%.

They all will include advertising in those fees as they have a company account with DAFT etc. And you can instruct them all to clear any costs of repairs etc with you first before going ahead.

Now there are some chancers who ask for a months rent + vat for letting only.
    And some try to extract a months rent every year from you for renewing leases.
    Ignore those ones. The are are taking the P.

I think the average prices I have stated above are fair.
    And ALL of the agents I spoke to stated their figure up front and then were open to negotiation. Its easy work for them so they shouldnt be charging an arm and a leg.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Letting only
    €500 + Vat @23% one off.

Letting and Property Management - Ongoing (The one I would go for)
    €40 per month + VAT @23%

The Letting a Property management - Ongoing therefore comes out cheaper than Letting only.

The Letting a Property management - Ongoing therefore comes out cheaper than Letting only.

But if the tenants stay there for two years and don't sign a lease the second year then the agent only gets 500, versus 960 for ongoing management.

• Advertisement

Ongoing is on top of letting.
    So you would have to pay the letting up front and then you are on the ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I will put a call in because they are already getting 25 a month. I do think that 750 for z renewal is a bit steep.

I will put a call in because they are already getting 25 a month. I do think that 750 for z renewal is a bit steep.

Id say the €25 a month is great. Assuming they are managing the property and not just collecting rent and doing nothing else.
    The €750 per renewal however, is daylight robbery.
    They'll give you a load of rubbish about why you need it, but you dont. You are already in a part 4. A lease gives you nothing really.

Just tell them you dont want a new lease end of story. And save yourself €750.

All they are doing is collecting rent and paying it into my account. I pay a management company 1200 a year to look after the apartment block.

They just had the existing tenant sign s new lease last week.

You'll find they have it in their terms that they get the tenant to sign a new lease every year and charge a month's rent for this. You would have agreed to this when you signed up with them.

As for the ongoing 25/month, I assume they're the point of contact for the tenants and they organise emergency repair work, etc.? This is what you're paying the recurring fee for, so that you don't get a call at 2 in the morning about a burst pipe or the likes.

• Advertisement

All they are doing is collecting rent and paying it into my account. I pay a management company 1200 a year to look after the apartment block.

They just had the existing tenant sign s new lease last week.

You are wasting your money.
    Go with an agent with full management for about €40 a month.
    They should be looking after all tenant calls and only bothering you when fro example a repair cost is over €200.
    They will organize the repair and billing etc and just deduct the cost from the rent.
    Make sure to specify that they must run all costs over €100 or €200 by you before proceeding though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They will try justify the new lease as the reason for the charge. This is why agents often put insane pressure on tenants to sign new leases - a quick search here will find numerous such cases including one agency that insisted point blank that Part 4 rights didn't exist and the tenant had made them up; because they were going to lose a huge fee for not having a new lease.

They sent me an invoice today (dated 8/7 but created in excel yesterday) explaing that the annual fee is the reason for them holding the money. So, can I get any of the money back or should I just stick with them for the year now (lesson learned). I did try to contact them by phone over the last few days but there was no answer (admittedly it was during lunch) so they are obviously not making themselves available in the event of a burst pipe etc.

...they also charge 23% vat. Is it not the lower rate for a service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dansam

Our letting agent is shutting down due to health issues. We have been paying him 10 per cent per month to manage 2 houses. As he is shutting down he deducted 1 months rent per house as a finders fee for the tenants who will remain in place. In his closing statement it also shows that he deducts 30 euro penalty out of their deposit when the rent is late. The deposit on both houses is now gone. Is this normal procedure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Dansam wrote: »
    Our letting agent is shutting down due to health issues. We have been paying him 10 per cent per month to manage 2 houses. As he is shutting down he deducted 1 months rent per house as a finders fee for the tenants who will remain in place. In his closing statement it also shows that he deducts 30 euro penalty out of their deposit when the rent is late. The deposit on both houses is now gone. Is this normal procedure

What does your contract say?

In other words he charged you for the penalty, because if you withhold that deposit for that reason then the RTB case will be a short one in favour of the tenants.

Sounds like a complete crock to be honest, the one month finders fee is usually applied at the start of a tenancy, not at a time when he decides to get out of the business. Have you checked the contract you signed with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Afaik late payment fees are not something that can legally be deducted from a tenants deposit once the rent is paid in full later. It sounds like the "agent" has been taking the deposits for himself in dribs and drabs which will leave you liable for repaying the tenants when they complain to the RTB, also as stated the finders fee is something that would normally be charged at the start of an arrangement with an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A deposit would take quite some time to go in 30 quid dips. Agent sounds like they're desperately trying to cover for a complete lack of cash.

L1011 wrote: »
    A deposit would take quite some time to go in 30 quid dips. Agent sounds like they're desperately trying to cover for a complete lack of cash.

Or a self granted golden handshake.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Does anyone have any idea if a letting agent charges landlords to attend the RTB adjudication on their behalf? And what approximate cost this would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

...they also charge 23% vat. Is it not the lower rate for a service?

Specified services only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

gizmo81 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea if a letting agent charges landlords to attend the RTB adjudication on their behalf? And what approximate cost this would be?

Letting agents go to RTB hearings both as witnesses and advocates. Chargesy with the amount of time and work involved. Most would want a few hundred euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

You can fire your agent if you aren't happy.
    I'm thinking of firing mine. But I may never let again so I'll have to wait and see.

My brother fired his and they tried to charge him for keeping the tenant. He told them to get stuffed that he had already paid that to them in month one and they could ask the tenant to leave of they wanted and he would get a new one. They backed off.

He got a new agent to manage the property and they charge the finders fee and the monthly management charge to the tenant now on top of the rent. (Because of the new rent controls). I think they are 40 pm plus vat, but he doesn't even see that. The tenant has to pay that to them with the rent. The tenant also had to pay €500 to the agent to find the property for them.

If he decides to do airbnb i future too, they will also manage that for him, for a fee. Can't remember what the fee he said was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A landlord or agent can't charge the finders' fee to the tenants. A decent agent should know this (section 90 of Property Services Act I think). The tenant will be able o recover this from you at the end of the lease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

90.— (1) Subject to subsection (2), any provision (whether express or implied) in an agreement in respect of the sale or letting of land whereby the purchaser or tenant, as the case may be, is required to pay or otherwise bear the cost of the licensee’s fees or expenses in respect of the sale or letting, as the case may be, shall be void, and any moneys paid pursuant to such a provision shall be recoverable as a simple contract debt in a court of competent jurisdiction.

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) shall affect the liability of a person to pay fees or expenses to a licensee in respect of the acquisition of any land where the licensee has been retained by the person to acquire such land and does not also act, in respect of such acquisition, on behalf of the person from whom the land is acquired.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/act/40/section/90/enacted/en/html

You can fire your agent if you aren't happy.
    I'm thinking of firing mine. But I may never let again so I'll have to wait and see.

My brother fired his and they tried to charge him for keeping the tenant. He told them to get stuffed that he had already paid that to them in month one and they could ask the tenant to leave of they wanted and he would get a new one. They backed off.

He got a new agent to manage the property and they charge the finders fee and the monthly management charge to the tenant now on top of the rent. (Because of the new rent controls). I think they are 40 pm plus vat, but he doesn't even see that. The tenant has to pay that to them with the rent. The tenant also had to pay €500 to the agent to find the property for them.

If he decides to do airbnb i future too, they will also manage that for him, for a fee. Can't remember what the fee he said was.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

A landlord or agent can't charge the finders' fee to the tenants. A decent agent should know this (section 90 of Property Services Act I think). The tenant will be able o recover this from you at the end of the lease.

It can be done.
    It's not called a finder's fee as far as I know.
    Maybe membership or something like that, I can't remember tbh, but it's being done.

And i think the finder company is different to the management company too. The tenant signs up with the finder who do the vetting and present this to various landlords. I'm only guessing though on that. Maybe the charges are Ben called something totally different.
    I must find out more when i see him again. I didn't go into it in great detail as I don't need it yet myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

davindub wrote: »
    Specified services only.

Yup professional services are 23% and non professional (maintenance works eg) are at 13.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Thanks for the useful info in this thread.

Been quoted 550 +vat to let, and 50 + vat per month management fee ....is this the normal rate now in Dublin?

Any recommendations from experience?...new to this so all feedback welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Thanks for the useful info in this thread.

Been quoted 550 +vat to let, and 50 + vat per month management fee ....is this the normal rate now in Dublin?

Any recommendations from experience?...new to this so all feedback welcome.

Pretty much

Fee to let is normally a % normally 5% but I got for 4.25% on a place I'm about to let. I wouldn't bother with management.

Advertisement