Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to get trousers made?

Options
  • 30-08-2016 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever got a pair of trousers made in the city? How long did it take and how much did it cost? Can't get a pair to fit me properly in the main shops. Have often thought of getting s pair made by tailor but am presuming it costs a lot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some places will alter bought clothes but I'd imagine getting trousers made from scratch will be expensive and might not look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

bobbyss wrote: »
    Has anyone ever got a pair of trousers made in the city? How long did it take and how much did it cost? Can't get a pair to fit me properly in the main shops. Have often thought of getting s pair made by tailor but am presuming it costs a lot?

Yes getting a pair custom made from scratch is unnecessary.
    Just go into any half decent suit shop* and they can give advice on what adjustments can be made.

*Note: Unfortunately a lot of suit shops these days tender to just sell bulk made suits and then just ship them off to be basically adjusted without any true customization.

When you say that you cant get them to fit, what exactly do you mean? Length, width etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Look up tailors or seamstresses and place some phone calls. If there's a forum on boards for that, go there and ask for recommendations in Galway.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was €250+ but once they have your pattern perhaps additional pairs won't be as pricey. I disagree with above and would say they will probably look better than store bought trousers as they'll perfectly fit you assuming you find someone experienced.

If you do go ahead let us know who you picked and how it worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Look up tailors or seamstresses and place some phone calls. If there's a forum on boards for that, go there and ask for recommendations in Galway.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was €250+ but once they have your pattern perhaps additional pairs won't be as pricey. I disagree with above and would say they will probably look better than store bought trousers as they'll perfectly fit you assuming you find someone experienced.

If you do go ahead let us know who you picked and how it worked out.

250 euro ! Gulp!!
    Once on holiday abroad i got trousers made from scratch by Indian. Cost half nothing and done in a day or two. Of course, here it's different.
    The whole point of going to a tailor is that they would look good!
    But at that price I think I will give it a miss.

250 euro ! Gulp!!
    Once on holiday abroad i got trousers made from scratch by Indian. Cost half nothing and done in a day or two. Of course, here it's different.
    The whole point of going to a tailor is that they would look good!
    But at that price I think I will give it a miss.

Maybe plan your next holiday around getting a bunch of clothes made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes getting a pair custom made from scratch is unnecessary.
    Just go into any half decent suit shop* and they can give advice on what adjustments can be made.

Are there any such suit shops that sell women's clothes?

OP, this is something any tailor can do. Call a few and ask for indicative prices rather than just accepting a number that someone on the interweb made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Are there any such suit shops that sell women's clothes?

OP, this is something any tailor can do. Call a few and ask for indicative prices rather than just accepting a number that someone on the interweb made up.

Hanleys, Louis copeland, geraghtys, Ryan's,the one in Liosban, none do women's suits as far as I've ever seen. Ryan's women's clothes shop might.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Maybe plan your next holiday around getting a bunch of clothes made?

Yeah. Have had them made in the past like that and been happy with outcome. But have no plans to visit those countries again.

Yeah. Have had them made in the past like that and been happy with outcome. But have no plans to visit those countries again.

If you still have those clothes and they still fit then maybe a tailor can replicate them.

Advertisement