Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rattlin chain

Options
  • 30-08-2016 4:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Starting to notice my chain is rattling a fair bit, and if i flick it while the bike is stationary I can hear it rattle so guess it is on the way out. It is a HG700 with about 5k on it which to me doesn't seem that much. What are peoples thoughts on decent 11 speed chains, thinking KMC over Shimano? Do 11sp wear out quicker than 10sp?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I know nothing about bikes but I think you have a great name for a blues band there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was me wondering 'smacl? blues band? huh?'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

smacl wrote: »
    Starting to notice my chain is rattling a fair bit, and if i flick it while the bike is stationary I can hear it rattle so guess it is on the way out. It is a HG700 with about 5k on it which to me doesn't seem that much. What are peoples thoughts on decent 11 speed chains, thinking KMC over Shimano? Do 11sp wear out quicker than 10sp?

Rate of wear depends on various factors like how well you clean and lube your chain. A cheap chain measurement tool will tell you if the chain is worn and in need of replacement. I use HG900 chains and they usually reach they're wear limit around 4,500/5,000km.
    I know nothing about bikes but I think you have a great name for a blues band there

Post of the day for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I have switched from Shimano to KMC chains.
    I find the KMC removable link much handier than the Shimano pin. It allows you to remove the chain for cleaning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

rayman1 wrote: »
    I have switched from Shimano to KMC chains.
    I find the KMC removable link much handier than the Shimano pin. It allows you to remove the chain for cleaning.

Yep, went for the KMC after reading more reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Yep, went for the KMC after reading more reviews.

Which one they seem to make 3 different grades in terms of durability?

KMC have 3 different levels of durability, you'll pay a lot more for the higher durability(whether its worth that over buying lower grades I don't know but doubt it). By durable I presume they mean more resistant to stretching.

11 speed chains are narrower than 10 speed (in terms of their overall width but still 3/32" internally). This means the joining rivets and side plates have got narrower.

A narrow plate will have to be made of a stronger material for same strength, so I guess they might be a little less ductile. You'd imagine, given how long they are in the market they should have it sussed by now though.

I went with the cheaper KMC X11-93 chain as the reviews suggested the more expensive ones were lighter but not significantly more durable. Going off road reasonably regularly and hitting mud probably means reduced drive train life all round even with a post ride clean. What got me with the HG700 chain is that it rattles, which suggests to me its about to fall apart. I'd love to say it's down to all the power I put into the pedals, but.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Mud will do damage alright.

Chains generally fail where they are joined(if done incorrectly) or the side plate fails(manufacturing defect and/or rough environment). I read arguments that the less ductile 11 speed chains are more prone to localized stress in side plates as a result of peening during manufacture..

Rattling would suggest chain stretched, which while awful for rest of drivetrain, is not any more likely to fail.

You might do as well with a high quality solvent type lube if you are in rough/extreme condition rather than spending on a high end chain

Got the KMC last night, went to fit it only to find you need a special type of pliers to close the non-reusable quick-link and try as I might to close it using other methods, no joy. Put in a SRAM re-usable 10 speed link which seems fine for now, but aware that the spare 11 speed links I carry in case of emergency are no good in case of emergency! Found a hack here to get around this but not great, other forums suggest most people carry a 10sp link as their backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I never had a problem closing the link.
    I just line it up, squeeze the brakes and push hard on the pedal and it closes. Now trying to open it is another story.
    To make life easier I got this tool http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/bbb-open-link-closing-link-tool-btl77/rp-prod47439 for €10 which both opens and closes the link.

• Advertisement

Cheers, have the park tool opening pliers but it isn't reversible. Will try trick with pedalling with the brakes on later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Cheers, have the park tool opening pliers but it isn't reversible. Will try trick with pedalling with the brakes on later.

Unless they have another one than this one (only one I see on their website at the moment), then it should be reversible, since both the outside and inside of the pliers are scalloped to engage with the chain, same as the BBB one linked (which I have and have also found very good for this).

cython wrote: »
    Unless they have another one than this one (only one I see on their website at the moment), then it should be reversible, since both the outside and inside of the pliers are scalloped to engage with the chain, same as the BBB one linked (which I have and have also found very good for this).

Alas they do, mine's the one below. Might see if I can take it apart and flip the sides.

64339_1_Zoom.jpg

Advertisement