Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got hit by a cyclist, then he wanted to fight

Options
  • 30-08-2016 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

So i was walking down a foot path today and got hit by a well built man on a push bike, not someone you'd want to fight. After he hit me he stopped 5 seconds later to shout at me what i was doing walking down a path. After I suggested there was a well built cycle lane beside us he got off his bike and tried to fight me, to which i talked my way out of as I was not looking to fight anyone.

When I cycle i always stop at every red light and never go on a path. I'm wondering how often do you come across people like this when you're on your bike or walking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Came across a car yesterday that beeped me because he didn't like that I was in front of him while on the bike, then scraped by me and tried to knock me off by sharply turning left and breaking suddenly a few times.

If I'd chased after him to get a visual of his face (for my camera y'see, I video-d the whole thing as per normal) probably would have ended up in a fight.

To be honest I used to get bothered by that, but just water off a duck's back at this stage. People be stressing too much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I can believe the well-built man, but a well-built cycle lane?

Shenanigans!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

moloner4 wrote: »
    So i was walking down a foot path today and got hit by a well built man on a push bike, not someone you'd want to fight. After he hit me he stopped 5 seconds later to shout at me what i was doing walking down a path. After I suggested there was a well built cycle lane beside us he got off his bike and tried to fight me, to which i talked my way out of as I was not looking to fight anyone.

When I cycle i always stop at every red light and never go on a path. I'm wondering how often do you come across people like this when you're on your bike or walking?

I come across assh*les all the time, not just on bicycles or in cars if that's what you're wondering.
    In other news, water...wet. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Where is this 'well built cycle lane'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

One time I had a similar experience. I nearly dropped my kebab.
    I'm wondering how often do you come across people like this when you're on your bike or walking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Where is this 'well built cycle lane'?

Its beside the footpad :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I used to walk to work across the city centre. I saw stuff like that constantly. I even had a cyclist confront me for him hitting me with his bike on a footpath. Thankfully I'm more than able to throw a punch. It's the only thing these people understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭meme74

I recently got verbally abused by a man on a motorbike (not a cyclist I know but still shocked by his attitude!) After turning left from a one lane road onto a 2 lane road (I was behind him in my car) he took the outside lane which was to go straight ahead, I took the inside lane which is to turn right. He then decided he was in the wrong lane and went to swerve into my lane. He got irate that I drove past him (very slowly I will add) and had he swerved fully into my lane, would have hit him. He was in the wrong for taking the wrong lane and swerving into the other lane but yet he pulls up beside me bangs on my window and proceeds to shout profanities at me telling me that I could have killed him and telling me over and over to "go F"ck yourself". Very frightening for a girl in the car on her own and I was really shook by his aggressiveness.

Anyway point im trying to make is nobody owns the roads or footpaths, not cars, not motorbikes, not cyclists, not pedestrians and everyone has a duty of care to everyone else in some way or another. Peoples attitudes, such as the attitude of your cyclist, can be appalling and people need to stop thinking it is ok to verbally abuse people in situations like this. They do not own the roads/footpaths and shouldn't behave like they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Tell him you'll meet him behind the bike shed after school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

mrcheez wrote: »
    Came across a car yesterday that beeped me because he didn't like that I was in front of him while on the bike, then scraped by me and tried to knock me off by sharply turning left and breaking suddenly a few times.

If I'd chased after him to get a visual of his face (for my camera y'see, I video-d the whole thing as per normal) probably would have ended up in a fight.

To be honest I used to get bothered by that, but just water off a duck's back at this stage. People be stressing too much :D

This wasn't on the back roads by castleknock college?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Saipanne wrote: »

I used to walk to work across the city centre. I saw stuff like that constantly. I even had a cyclist confront me for him hitting me with his bike on a footpath. Thankfully I'm more than able to throw a punch. It's the only thing these people understand.
    I cycle to work a couple of times a week,most weeks, other days I take the bus and I sometimes drive. I also walk, cycle and drive to places outside of work times. In general I find people to be reasonable but sometimes some people are agressive, rude, inconsiderate.

So I am not sure who the "these people" who only understand being punched are. All peole who cycle bikes, or all people who are agressive? I assume if you are the view the only thing people understand is being punched you may not have a fundamental problem with people being agressive.

For me, I understand the purpose of this forum is for people who are enthusiasts about cycling to have (possibly boring and nerdy) conversations about the benefit of one type of inner tube over another and such like. I don't think it is meant as a corporate body who must issue apology anytime someone acts like a dick whilst in possession of a bicycle.

I suppose the type of person who crashes into someone on a footpath, dismounts and charges someone aggressively. That type of person needs only one response.

Saipanne wrote: »
    I suppose the type of person who crashes into someone on a footpath, dismounts and charges someone aggressively. That type of person needs only one response.
    I totally agree that that is total dick behaviour and you'd have a right to be ticked off. I would be, though being an old fogey I'd probably want to keep the high moral ground, though as you say that might not be comprehended by that person.
    However I also doubt (based on people I either know, or have interacted with on this forum) that said person is a member here or that members here are likely to behave like that.

So if you encountered someone walking (or even cycling )along the pavement who acted the complete twat whilst , for example , wearing an <insert football team name> jersey, would you post to the forum for fans of said team to complain.

I know I am going on one about this and it is not really fair to focus it on you or the OP, it just seems lately that there are a lot of threads along the lines of "I encountered someone with a bike who acted like a complete dickhead, you cyclists need to explain yourselves". I'm just not sure what the point of that is.

rtmie wrote: »
    I totally agree that that is total dick behaviour and you'd have a right to be ticked off. I would be, though being an old fogey I'd probably want to keep the high moral ground, though as you say that might not be comprehended by that person.
    However I also doubt (based on people I either know, or have interacted with on this forum) that said person is a member here or that members here are likely to behave like that.

So if you encountered someone walking (or even cycling )along the pavement who acted the complete twat whilst , for example , wearing an <insert football team name> jersey, would you post to the forum for fans of said team to complain.

I know I am going on one about this and it is not really fair to focus it on you or the OP, it just seems lately that there are a lot of threads along the lines of "I encountered someone with a bike who acted like a complete dickhead, you cyclists need to explain yourselves". I'm just not sure what the point of that is.

The op probably felt like unloading. It's either here, or After Hours?

The op probably felt like unloading.[\quote]
    Shouting from the rooftop into the abyss?
    Isn't that what Twitter's for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I was hit by a cyclist who ran a red light while I was crossing the road,got a bit of a shock, as did she. Luckily was going quite slowly, no body hurt. I asked her if she was OK, and she started cyclying off! One she was about 5m away she shouted "sorry" back at me! I'm guessing she thought I might react badly to being hit!

No damage done though, and an apology as well, so i think its more the attitude the op had a problem with as opposed to the initial incident. Some people are dicks it turns out!

rtmie wrote: »
    it just seems lately that there are a lot of threads along the lines of "I encountered someone with a bike who acted like a complete dickhead, you cyclists need to explain yourselves". I'm just not sure what the point of that is.

ah now you do really don't you? ;)

This wasn't on the back roads by castleknock college?

nope... did you see the same thing happen there? Wouldn't surprise me, that road is terrible

Where?

Last week a cyclist blocked me because the filter later at Christchurch is 1/2 road and 1/2 bike lane. For some reason the cyclist was stopped in the bike lane with his phone in his hand oblivious to the fact that he's blocking the filter lane. When I beeped him he just turned around and pointed to the fact that he's on the cycle lane which I guess gives him special rights to not share the road?

After 20-30 seconds of playing with his phone and right after the filter lane went red he hopped on his bike and cycled through the red light.

I cycle and I drive. I would never stand in a cycle lane and I always give cyclists plenty of space. To be fair this is the first time in a long time I've had a problem with a cyclist.

Where?

Last week a cyclist blocked me because the filter later at Christchurch is 1/2 road and 1/2 bike lane. For some reason the cyclist was stopped in the bike lane with his phone in his hand oblivious to the fact that he's blocking the filter lane. When I beeped him he just turned around and pointed to the fact that he's on the cycle lane which I guess gives him special rights to not share the road?

After 20-30 seconds of playing with his phone and right after the filter lane went red he hopped on his bike and cycled through the red light.

I cycle and I drive. I would never stand in a cycle lane and I always give cyclists plenty of space. To be fair this is the first time in a long time I've had a problem with a cyclist.

eh... not there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

nope... did you see the same thing happen there? Wouldn't surprise me, that road is terrible

Yeah saw something very similar last night at the farmleigh house crossroads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

I walk to work every day (In a town down the country) and it's a rare thing to see a cyclist not being a menace down here.

I was almost hit before crossing at a pedestrian crossing. A red light immune cyclist decided he didn't have time for such inconveniences as the law, pedestrians or veering from his chosen direction and came towards me at speed as I was about halfway across the road. And I had to do a little skip jump to get out of his way which made me look a right fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Off to the motoring forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

I walk to work every day (In a town down the country) and it's a rare thing to see a cyclist not being a menace down here.

I was almost hit before crossing at a pedestrian crossing. A red light immune cyclist decided he didn't have time for such inconveniences as the law, pedestrians or veering from his chosen direction and came towards me at speed as I was about halfway across the road. And I had to do a little skip jump to get out of his way which made me look a right fool.
    And yet, for all the anecdotes where about menaces, near misses, almost killed me, cyclists are a cancer etc etc - we just have to look at the news any night of the week to see where the real danger lies on the road.

which made me look a right fool.

So this is a repeat performance?

And yet, for all the anecdotes where about menaces, near misses, almost killed me, cyclists are a cancer etc etc - we just have to look at the news any night of the week to see where the real danger lies on the road.

In a discussion about some less than considerate cyclists in a cycling forum why are you so desperate to redirect any negativity towards motorists ? The fact bikes don't cause as much damage as cars doesn't give cyclists a right to do whatever the hell they want or excuse any damage or close calls they do have.

And there's quite a big reason why there's so many anecdotes, near misses, almost killed me's (who said cyclists are cancer?) though. The fact that despite cars being so much more dangerous and so much more common people still seem to have more actual issues or issues regularly with cyclists.

Personally as a pedestrian walking to work every day of the week I have had more issues with cyclists than motorists or other pedestrians despite the number of cyclists I meet being nowhere near the number of motorists or other pedestrians I encounter. I've never had a car run a red light and nearly hit me. Never had a car come up on the footpath at speed and force me to get out of the way. Never had a pedestrian come barreling towards me forcing me to jump out of the way.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

cyclists don;t know the rulr sof the road

So this is a repeat performance?

You seem like a pleasant fellow. I bet you're real considerate and friendly on the roads. :rolleyes:

You seem like a pleasant fellow. I bet you're real considerate and friendly on the roads. :rolleyes:

Yup. Sure am.

• Advertisement

But the point is why did you jump into the cycling forum for this? Do you have a lead that the culprit lurks here?
    Do you jump to the motoring forum when you see a car double parked?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement