Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got hit by a cyclist, then he wanted to fight

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

rtmie wrote: »
    The op probably felt like unloading.
    Shouting from the rooftop into the abyss?
    Isn't that what Twitter's for?

This post, with its evocation of rooftops, unloading and Twitter storms, reminds of one of my favourite quotes from Samuel Peyps' diary:
    At night home and up to the leads [roof], were contrary to expectation driven down again with a stinke by Sir W. Pen's shying of a ****ten pot in their house of office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

But the point is why did you jump into the cycling forum for this? Do you have a lead that the culprit lurks here?
    Do you jump to the motoring forum when you see a car double parked?

I'm sure he probably would if someone in a car drove into him then got out and tried to fight him....

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

i seen a row tofday betwixt a cyclist a nd a bus \(reddacted_+ driver, the bus driver was very sure of humself und didn;t low and behold the poor cyclist produced a crow0bar and said " you ffffing **** i'll warp you r back with the crow-bar, whereupom thr bus-driver swiftly dissssappeared, pity, iy would have made a great video for liveleak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've never had a car run a red light and nearly hit me. Never had a pedestrian come barreling towards me forcing me to jump out of the way.

You obviously don't work in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

But the point is why did you jump into the cycling forum for this? Do you have a lead that the culprit lurks here?

Have you seen the dashcam thread?

Generally. People in the motoring forum don't respond to other who bring up bad driving with "Oh yeah well I see cyclists breaking the rules of the road too."

That kind or response is very common on the cycling forum however.

As a cyclists myself, I don't understand the collective defensiveness and undermining of the OP.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    You obviously don't work in Dublin.

No I don't. I don't think I'm fit enough to survive Dublin in rush hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

XR3i wrote: »
    cyclists don;t know the rulr sof the road
    Were you driving while typing this?
    In a discussion about some less than considerate cyclists in a cycling forum why are you so desperate to redirect any negativity towards motorists ? The fact bikes don't cause as much damage as cars doesn't give cyclists a right to do whatever the hell they want or excuse any damage or close calls they do have.

And there's quite a big reason why there's so many anecdotes, near misses, almost killed me's (who said cyclists are cancer?) though. The fact that despite cars being so much more dangerous and so much more common people still seem to have more actual issues or issues regularly with cyclists.

Personally as a pedestrian walking to work every day of the week I have had more issues with cyclists than motorists or other pedestrians despite the number of cyclists I meet being nowhere near the number of motorists or other pedestrians I encounter. I've never had a car run a red light and nearly hit me. Never had a car come up on the footpath at speed and force me to get out of the way. Never had a pedestrian come barreling towards me forcing me to jump out of the way.

No redirection - just a little context, so we don't lose sight of the bigger picture (that motorists routinely kill and maim, while cyclists don't). If you've never had a car run a red light at you, I suggest you stay well away from the Luas red light camera on the red line. The camera shows that 12% of those breaking lights were cyclists, and the remainder were motorists. And yet, these discussions regularly and repeatedly demonise cyclists because 'one of them nearly killed me' while conveniently ignoring the motorists who actually (not nearly) kill people daily on our roads.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to group people by their choice of transport on any particular day, but if you want to improve road safety, you know which group you should be focusing on first, right?

http://irishcycle.com/2016/05/20/fines-for-cyclists-should-be-welcomed-but-a-bit-of-perspective-is-needed/

Generally. People in the motoring forum don't respond to other who bring up bad driving with "Oh yeah well I see cyclists breaking the rules of the road too."

... because people don't fetch up on the shores of the Motoring forum out of the blue and demand an explanation from "motorists" or tell "motorists" that they have to get their house in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

i seen a row tofday betwixt a cyclist a nd a bus \(reddacted_+ driver, the bus driver was very sure of humself und didn;t low and behold the poor cyclist produced a crow0bar and said " you ffffing **** i'll warp you r back with the crow-bar, whereupom thr bus-driver swiftly dissssappeared, pity, iy would have made a great video for liveleak

Drunk posting is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

i work in customer service... I speak to angry people a lot! There everywhere! :)

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    Drunk posting is great!

Reminds me of the fragments of text peppered through Renegade by Mark E. Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

I cycle a lot and have never meet an aggressive cyclist looking for a fight. I do 25ish km a day when going from college but not near the city for the last 4 years. I was to asking if other cyclists meet aggressive cyclists often like such (not drivers).

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

Drunk posting is great!

look whose talkin

moloner4 wrote: »
    I cycle a lot and have never meet an aggressive cyclist looking for a fight. I do 25ish km a day when going from college but not near the city for the last 4 years. I was to asking if other cyclists meet aggressive cyclists often like such (not drivers).

Don't forget to clarify the location of the cycle lane when you have a minute, thanks.

No redirection - just a little context, so we don't lose sight of the bigger picture (that motorists routinely kill and maim, while cyclists don't). If you've never had a car run a red light at you, I suggest you stay well away from the Luas red light camera on the red line. The camera shows that 12% of those breaking lights were cyclists, and the remainder were motorists. And yet, these discussions regularly and repeatedly demonise cyclists because 'one of them nearly killed me' while conveniently ignoring the motorists who actually (not nearly) kill people daily on our roads.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to group people by their choice of transport on any particular day, but if you want to improve road safety, you know which group you should be focusing on first, right?

http://irishcycle.com/2016/05/20/fines-for-cyclists-should-be-welcomed-but-a-bit-of-perspective-is-needed/

This isn't a road safety discussion though where cyclists are being singled out above others as being a danger. The OP started the thread in the cycling forum by saying he as a cyclists is considerate etc yet he encountered this lunatic who hit him then tried to fight him. So it's not about demonizing cyclists in general either.

As I said just because there's other issues in terms of road safety doesn't mean any and all discussion of cyclist issues should be ignored or redirected. The title of that article sums it up tbh. "Fines for cyclists welcomed BUT... lets not talk about it lets shift the focus and blame elsewhere.."

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Reminds me of the fragments of text peppered through Renegade by Mark E. Smith.

He even managed to capture the slur sounds in his post.. quite an achievement I might add

This isn't a road safety discussion though where cyclists are being singled out above others as being a danger. The OP started the thread in the cycling forum by saying he as a cyclists is considerate etc yet he encountered this lunatic who hit him then tried to fight him. So it's not about demonizing cyclists in general either.

As I said just because there's other issues in terms of road safety doesn't mean any and all discussion of cyclist issues should be ignored or redirected. The title of that article sums it up tbh. "Fines for cyclists welcomed BUT... lets not talk about it lets shift the focus and blame elsewhere.."

Just to be clear, my only response to the OP was to ask him where was the grand cycle lane he mentioned.

My response to your post, the one that spoke of the "cyclist not being a menace - almost hit" was to put these 'almost hit' stories in context - the context being that very few people are actually injured by cyclists. It is a very relevant clarification - your position was that cyclists are 'menacing' on a daily basis. The facts of our road traffic statistics show that this just isn't true.

It is an exaggerated, pointed, unbalanced position - that's a relevant angle for discussion, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I never understand the immediate defence of dicks just cos they cycle on this forum.

My neighbour is one of the most aggressive drivers out there. He is fast, inconsiderate, drives one of those expensive German cars that don't have indicators. I have seen him cut off other drivers, pass too close to cyclists, break red lights...I dread seeing that car.

As a pedestrian, he is a dick. He will stroll out into traffic, force people out of his way at the crossings...every annoying thing possible.

Ironically, he also cycles...and he is a dick. Cycling on footpaths, cutting other cyclists off, stopping where and when he wants, breaksred lights, cuts through busy pedestrian crossings on his bike, goes the wrong way on one way streets (does this in the car too).

Essentially, the man behaves as though he owns the road, regardless of modes of transport. He is selfish, dangerous and a dick. A menace is a menace, regardles of mode of transport.

Before anyone asks, he is a legal professional, which can be the only reason that he still has a licence.

... because people don't fetch up on the shores of the Motoring forum out of the blue and demand an explanation from "motorists" or tell "motorists" that they have to get their house in order.

People post about bad driving all the time over there. What you don't tend to get are people taking criticism of randomers driving as a personal attack.

You do realize that you're not a representative of any group right ? You're one of many many people who happen to ride a bike. I walk to work everyday. I don't get personally offended if I hear someone say "Damn pedestrian walked out in front of my car today, idiots are always doing". Why ? Because I'm not walking out in front of anyone's car ! They're not talking about me. They're talking about other people....

Just to be clear, my only response to the OP was to ask him where was the grand cycle lane he mentioned.

My response to your post, the one that spoke of the "cyclist not being a menace - almost hit" was to put these 'almost hit' stories in context - the context being that very few people are actually injured by cyclists. It is a very relevant clarification - your position was that cyclists are 'menacing' on a daily basis. The facts of our road traffic statistics show that this just isn't true.

It is an exaggerated, pointed, unbalanced position - that's a relevant angle for discussion, right?

No you weren't putting it in context. The context was the OP mentioned he was hit by a cyclist and and threatened afterwards and asked if people had encountered others cyclists like this. I mentioned I had been almost hit by a cyclist before and they were in general a bit of a menace in my area.

That's my position. That in my area, in my experience I find most cyclists don't obey the rules of the road and on one occasion nearly hit me after breaking a red light.

All you did was try redirect the discussion off topic which you're still trying to do. By all means go start a "Road safety" thread and harp on about the dangers of cars to your hearts content. This is about cyclists not behaving themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Maybe take a look at the forum charter, section 8.

Maybe take a look at the forum charter, section 8.

Seems to be about not holding all cyclists to account for the misbehavior's of a few. Which I don't see anyone doing. Again just because someone has an issue with one cyclist or multiple cyclists doesn't mean it's an attack on everyone who owns a bike.

By all means report the thread and posts you feel are breaching the charter...

I never understand the immediate defence of dicks just cos they cycle on this forum.

My neighbour is one of the most aggressive drivers out there. He is fast, inconsiderate, drives one of those expensive German cars that don't have indicators. I have seen him cut off other drivers, pass too close to cyclists, break red lights...I dread seeing that car.

As a pedestrian, he is a dick. He will stroll out into traffic, force people out of his way at the crossings...every annoying thing possible.

Ironically, he also cycles...and he is a dick. Cycling on footpaths, cutting other cyclists off, stopping where and when he wants, breaksred lights, cuts through busy pedestrian crossings on his bike, goes the wrong way on one way streets (does this in the car too).

Essentially, the man behaves as though he owns the road, regardless of modes of transport. He is selfish, dangerous and a dick. A menace is a menace, regardles of mode of transport.

Before anyone asks, he is a legal professional, which can be the only reason that he still has a licence.

Are you following him, or how do you see him performing these feats all the time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in response to the question posed by the OP, i don't think i've ever met a pedestrian or cyclist like that, nor a motorist who threatened me with fisticuffs over a perceived slight.

@Thelomen, there are more threads started here along the lines of 'i saw a cyclist being an asshole today' to which the best that can be offered is a shrug along the lines of 'yes, people can be assholes'. the regular posters in here can't really offer any more perspective than that, no more than a thread being posted in the dublin 15 forum about someone being an asshole in blanchardstown would be met with the same reaction - with the caveat that their reaction wouldn't be coloured by a 'not another one of these threads' reactions which is understandable here. regardless of the intention of the OP.

All you did was try redirect the discussion off topic which you're still trying to do. By all means go start a "Road safety" thread and harp on about the dangers of cars to your hearts content. This is about cyclists not behaving themselves.

Hang on a minute, no it's not. It's about some aggressive guy on a bike that the OP ran into. One. Singular.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 teatreeshamble

In Dublin, the issue is with tourists (some of whom have been here for years), most definitely those on Dublin bikes) & those who (it seems), grew up in a city that had no sense of courtesy or how to function in a public arena.
    Add to that those absolute f*king plonkers who cycle to the front of the pack just so they can feel the exhilaration of getting passed out over and over again at every traffic light.

I also find motobikes & "white van men" to be absolute whores when it comes to respecting the bike lane. I swear if weapons weren't so frowned upon(:-p) , I would shoot so many pedestrians, cyclists, car drivers, white van men & motorcyclists every day, there's be no-one left.

Hang on a minute, no it's not. It's about some aggressive guy on a bike that the OP ran into. One. Singular.

Here's the OP in case you missed it. It's not about the OP's new arch Nemesis (singular). The OP was asking a question about how often people encounter such cyclists (plural).
    Got hit by a cyclist, then he wanted to fight
    So i was walking down a foot path today and got hit by a well built man on a push bike, not someone you'd want to fight. After he hit me he stopped 5 seconds later to shout at me what i was doing walking down a path. After I suggested there was a well built cycle lane beside us he got off his bike and tried to fight me, to which i talked my way out of as I was not looking to fight anyone.

When I cycle i always stop at every red light and never go on a path. I'm wondering how often do you come across people like this when you're on your bike or walking?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

Are you following him, or how do you see him performing these feats all the time?

I live next to him. In the morning, when I am leaving he is leaving. I know his car, I see him driving around town and on our road. My heart sinks every single time I see that car.

How do I see him walking, again, we live beside each other. He crosses the road by stepping out and putting up his hand to stop traffic.

As for seeing him cycing, well...I live next to him. I see him on the road that we live on. I see him around the area, in town...

I find that living in close proximity to him leads to plenty of exposure. No need to follow him but that often ends up happening on the road when we are both going home...not really that unusual when you think about it...not sure that I would describe them as amazing feats. The man is a dick, that is all. He just acts like other aggressive bullies on the road.

in response to the question posed by the OP, i don't think i've ever met a pedestrian or cyclist like that, nor a motorist who threatened me with fisticuffs over a perceived slight.

@Thelomen, there are more threads started here along the lines of 'i saw a cyclist being an asshole today' to which the best that can be offered is a shrug along the lines of 'yes, people can be assholes'. the regular posters in here can't really offer any more perspective than that, no more than a thread being posted in the dublin 15 forum about someone being an asshole in blanchardstown would be met with the same reaction - with the caveat that their reaction wouldn't be coloured by a 'not another one of these threads' reactions which is understandable here. regardless of the intention of the OP.

I understand that and have no issue with those types of replies. I even don't mind taking the piss to a certain extent seeing as it's such a common theme to regular posters.

The desperation from some to get offended and\or ignore any and all transgressions of cyclists though is another story.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So someone comes into the Cycling Forum to have a rant about cyclists. Other non-cyclists decide to "contribute" some in an effort to tar all cyclists. Forum regulars retort along the lines that you get prats in all forms of transport.

Then mod comes along and refers to the "relentless negativity" rule in the charter

Thread gets closed in order to avoid the escalation that would otherwise follow....

... until someone starts another

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement