Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"What series are you on?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I've gone from having not seen a lot of the shows mentioned in here (aside from the obvious greats, The Wire, Sopranos, etc.) to having seen almost all of the shows mentioned in here in the last year.

Coincidentally me and my ex split a year ago.

Almost ... as if there's some sort of .. correlation between ... nah!

In summary: thank you sweet lord superman for this golden age of tv. Without you I'd be bored as f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Watched The UK version of the Office recently. On the Xmas specials now.

I've never had a show where my opinion of it has changed so much.

Before I started working in an office, it was an out and out brilliant comedy.

After I started working in an office, it's turned into a viciously depression drama with a few funny moments thrown in.

Turns out the joke's on me, or anyone of ye cnts who works in a similar environment.

Oh, and Bojack Horseman as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think there are some people out there who almost use the fact that they're watching such-and-such a show as if it's a badge of honour, it's a bit odd. There are also other people who can't seem to talk about anything else. I don't mind talking a bit about a show that I enjoy but I've met a few people who just constantly go on and on about the shows they are watching. It gets boring fast.

There are some great shows out there at the moment but there's also a load of crap. The difference is nowadays it's a lot easier to solely focus on what you want to watch and you don't have to wait 'til it comes on telly. That's the great thing about all these shows, it's a lot easier to watch them and get into them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

murpho999 wrote: »
    Wow, do people still do that?

Dont mind buying a serie i have previously watched after having it "borrowed" from the internet.
    But it has to be something special, like The Wire or The Sopranos

Then again, when i watch them again i still watch the one i downloaded as that is on a HDD media player and i dont have to get of my arse after 2 or 3 episodes to change discs.....

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Racing through suits at the moment. Very good show. Surprised I went so long without watching it at some point

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

eoins23456 wrote: »
    Racing through suits at the moment. Very good show. Surprised I went so long without watching it at some point

I've burned through Suits recently as well, great show, but I'm getting a bit tired of the format where Harvey will have a speech where he is 1-upping someone who thinks they are 1-upping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Have been re-watching The Wire on Blu-ray after waiting almost ten years to revisit it.

Goes without saying that it's still as good, remains the benchmark to which others aspire to match; doubt anything will ever surpass the fourth season in terms of overall quality.

Do agree with the OPs assertion that there's an obsession with watching the various series that are out there now; sure what hurry is on us?

Also agree with those saying this is a golden era for TV, with more and more companies producing their own shows and some of the best acting and writing talent favouring the small screen over the big it really couldn't be anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've burned through Suits recently as well, great show, but I'm getting a bit tired of the format where Harvey will have a speech where he is 1-upping someone who thinks they are 1-upping him.

Goddamnit that is the goddamn basis of the goddamn show! :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Goddamnit that is the goddamn basis of the goddamn show! :P

I'm going to drop a load of subpoenas on your desk in the morning godamit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Currently watching Mr Robot, Suits, Orange is the new black season 3. Finished Jessica Jones, kilgrave was great..bit behind on Ray Donovan this season.

Looking forward to Narcos returning and Luke Cage starting this month.DareDevil is a must watch this year.

Of new shows I really enjoyed the Expanse this year.

I'm going to drop a load of subpoenas on your desk in the morning godamit.

I will then barely glance at them yet fully understand the entire document and come up with a genius idea to save the client, save the firm from being poached and be back in the office in time for the Macallan whiskey! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Have been re-watching The Wire on Blu-ray after waiting almost ten years to revisit it.

Goes without saying that it's still as good, remains the benchmark to which others aspire to match; doubt anything will ever surpass the fourth season in terms of overall quality.

Do agree with the OPs assertion that there's an obsession with watching the various series that are out there now; sure what hurry is on us?

Also agree with those saying this is a golden era for TV, with more and more companies producing their own shows and some of the best acting and writing talent favouring the small screen over the big it really couldn't be anything else.

It is brilliant, but watching them have to laboriously explain what a text message is for the benefit of the TV audience really dates the show these days! :pac:

I will then barely glance at them yet fully understand the entire document and come up with a genius idea to save the client, save the firm from being poached and be back in the office in time for the Macallan whiskey! :rolleyes:

But you wont think of the other person in your law firm trying to help you out but negating your idea and landing you in a deeper hole with another firm.
    So that Macallan will be not a celebatory drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

The Soprano's and The Wire are the Messi and Ronaldo of TV.

I've watched The Wire but i haven't seen Soprano's, not even an episode of it. Is it as good as the wire?

Letree wrote: »
    I've watched The Wire but i haven't seen Soprano's, not even an episode of it. Is it as good as the wire?

Better than The Wire.....and I hold The Wire in really high regard.

But you wont think of the other person in your law firm trying to help you out but negating your idea and landing you in a deeper hole with another firm.
    So that Macallan will be not a celebatory drink.

Just get me my goddamn whiskey!

I watched Suits for longer than I should have. I did enjoy the first few seasons of it though.

Couldn't get into OITNB - didn't get what everyone was raving about. I finished Stranger Things and enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm currently re-watching Prison Break as a recap for the new season that's coming out soon. Designated Survivor is another one I'm really looking forward to.

On a weekly basis I'm only watching Suits, The Last Ship and Vice Principals at the moment, but looking forward to the new seasons of The Flash, Better Call Saul, Billions, Limitless and Narcos as well as the return of "proper" Top Gear in The Grand Tour

All time favs? The Shield (better than The Wire IMO), Band of Brothers, House of Cards (US version), and Deep Space Nine.... The Sopranos and The West Wing I found very overrated TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Started watching Breaking Bad again from the start last night.

It's looking good in 4k from Netflix, I must admit :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 The_Taxman

How to get away with murder, on Netflix is unreal! I am hooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

In some ways the wire was better, the sopranos was a bit more of a soap opera with lots of little side stories involving the kids for example. The Wire was a bit more focused. Also the "Feds" side of it is quite weak in The Sopranos , the Wire had a better "cat and mouse" feel about it. Both excellent shows though , the Sopranos had more interesting characters for sure

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Jaysus I'm still looking at the Two Ronnies on Gold, haven't a clue what any of the mentioned programmes are.
    What I can't understand is why are people wasting all their spare time looking at shíte on telly

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 29 The_Taxman

uch wrote: »
    Jaysus I'm still looking at the Two Ronnies on Gold, haven't a clue what any of the mentioned programmes are.
    What I can't understand is why are people wasting all their spare time looking at shíte on telly

It's nice to chill out after a hard day at work.. what do you do?

How do you know they are sh!te if you haven't a clue what they are about?! :confused:

How do you know they are sh!te if you haven't a clue what they are about?! :confused:

I don't, I think almost all TV today that I see is shíte, so I don't see why these would be different

21/25

• Advertisement

The_Taxman wrote: »
    It's nice to chill out after a hard day at work.. what do you do?

I agree totally, and each to their own, it's just not for me, I enjoy being out of the house, like going to a league of Ireland match or maybe a traditional music session or many other things that can be done, I live near the coast so perhaps I'm just spoiled for things to do other than waste time in front of a TV

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I agree totally, and each to their own, it's just not for me, I enjoy being out of the house, like going to a league of Ireland match or maybe a traditional music session or many other things that can be done, I live near the coast so perhaps I'm just spoiled for things to do other than waste time in front of a TV

No offense to you (and it's a very common opinion) but I hate when people say watching TV is a waste of time.

You never hear the same said about going to the cinema, or going to see a play, or reading a book. And yet there's just as much rubbish films, plays and books as there is rubbish TV. So why is TV always singled out as a waste of time?

I don't, I think almost all TV today that I see is shíte, so I don't see why these would be different

If you're talking about the endless reality TV shyte and the type of documentaries on TV3 then I'd completely agree

But there's some TV Gold out there if you know where to look

maudgonner wrote: »
    You never hear the same said about going to the cinema, or going to see a play, or reading a book. And yet there's just as much rubbish films, plays and books as there is rubbish TV. So why is TV always singled out as a waste of time?

Or rubbish League of Ireland matches :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

There's a ridiculous amount of brilliant TV around these days. Some of it I've watched through and they were only enjoyable such as heroes, battlestar gallactica and dexter (can't really explain why I watched them through. Some were brilliant like got, the West Wing, breaking bad and narcos.

There have always been great series made, but never in the volume they're being made now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

The never-ending Wire vs Sopranos debate.

I'm pretty sure it's a 40/40* split of people who think one is the greatest show ever and the other is the 2nd greatest ever, and vice versa. I prefer The Wire but I can understand those who prefer The Sopranos. Ultimately all that matters is that everyone should watch them both!

* the other 20% being misguided fools who think GoT/Breaking Bad are the best ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

conorhal wrote: »
    TBF, subsequent seasons really haven't matched the first two, It's not as if there is a shortage of critical consensus amongst many that the show hasn't been great lately, though I and many of the grumblers thought it redeemed itself in the last few episodes of the latests season.

If however you ARE interested in a show is 'closer to Pirates of the Carribean than Lord of the Rings in terms of rewarding and thought-provoking film-making' watch 'Black Sails', cracking stuff!!!!!

Season 6 of Game of Thrones was excellent and had a fantastic finale. I don't get how people see it declining.

I'm not sure how you can compare the two.

The Sopranos is far more insular, psychological, fragmented, metaphorical and character driven than The Wire. It's mainly about one person (Tony is apparently on screen 70% of the time) and how willing/able is that person to change, in light of the horrible crap he does/gets into. Reminds me of a Dostoyevsky/Modernist novel tbh. Kafka or some crap.

Basically The Sopranos comes down to (imo) how you find Tony Soprano as a person.

The Wire is far more sprawling, political, macro, taking swings and stabs at all areas of society. Reminds me of a Charles Dickens/Thackerey/Tolstoy novel.

That said...

I'm going to go with The Sopranos. I think there's more depth: Tony Soprano is one of the greatest characters in any medium, and that ending, fcuking hell. They nailed that.

Remember watching it for the first time and thinking my telly was bust.

Breaking Bad/GoT don't come close to either imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

Uch I think you have this idea that people that watch series that's all they spend their days doing but in reality a lot of people spend more than 12 hours of the day out of the house between work travelling to work the gym and food shopping so unwinding at night time with a series that you are enjoying is no harm :)

I'm not sure how you can compare the two.

The Sopranos is far more insular, psychological, fragmented, metaphorical and character driven than The Wire. It's mainly about one person (Tony is apparently on screen 70% of the time) and how willing/able is that person to change, in light of the horrible crap he does/gets into. Reminds me of a Dostoyevsky/Modernist novel tbh. Kafka or some crap.

Basically The Sopranos comes down to (imo) how you find Tony Soprano as a person.

The Wire is far more sprawling, political, macro, taking swings and stabs at all areas of society. Reminds me of a Charles Dickens/Thackerey/Tolstoy novel.

That said...

I'm going to go with The Sopranos. I think there's more depth: Tony Soprano is one of the greatest characters in any medium, and that ending, fcuking hell. They nailed that.

Remember watching it for the first time and thinking my telly was bust.

Breaking Bad/GoT don't come close to either imo.
    silverharp wrote: »
    In some ways the wire was better, the sopranos was a bit more of a soap opera with lots of little side stories involving the kids for example. The Wire was a bit more focused. Also the "Feds" side of it is quite weak in The Sopranos , the Wire had a better "cat and mouse" feel about it. Both excellent shows though , the Sopranos had more interesting characters for sure

The Sopranos probably tips it for me because I seen it first and was the first show I was hooked on and the juxtoposition of Tony's character as the Mob Boss/Family Man/Business Man/Patient/Cheater amazed me.
    The show also managed to delve into the other characters home lives and how easy ot was to switch to being a gangster....although it didn't spend much time doing so, but just enough.

The Wire was also excellent at this, but Tony is a much better lead character than McNulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Can I make one suggestion suggestion.... Am not sure of it's streamable.....
    Watched it originally in the states when it was broadcast in the late '90's/early '00's ? and thought it was brilliant, there was only ever one series before cancellation.... "Freaks and geeks".... It's in my top 3 of TV ever

Can I make one suggestion suggestion.... Am not sure of it's streamable.....
    Watched it originally in the states when it was broadcast in the late '90's/early '00's ? and thought it was brilliant, there was only ever one series before cancellation.... "Freaks and geeks".... It's in my top 3 of TV ever
    Amazing show, everything about it was amazing. The next show that Apatow done after that was called Undeclared which is also really good. It was set on college life and some of the cast of F&G are in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Janey, totally forgot I started this thread. :o

Game of thrones is by no metric an average series, whatever your personal opinion on it.

Ah, I dunno, there's the whiff a high production value soap about it. Jolly good fun and all, well-written but the characters lack depth (it's not possible to go in-depth enough with the roster of characters and the short seasons; the seasons should be longer, IMO) and that's a big problem for me. Though Tyrion and Brienne are my loves.
    LorMal wrote: »
    The sopranos was excellent - but it's just one series.

And since then there have quality shows in the double digits. There being terrible TV doesn't take from that. There was always terrible TV and always will be.

Agreed that Stranger Things is overhyped. It seems to be very much hinge on how into 80s nostalgia you are. I was born in 1984 but as I was only five when the start of 1990 rolled around, I consider myself very much a child of the 90s. My OH was born in early 83 and so has a bit more memory of the 80s and he was also underwhelmed. It was very corny to me at times. Loved the opening credits though.

Game of Thrones cannot be described in any way from production values, script, acting, pacing and writing as in any way average.

In character development it is and that's a big 'un. As for the acting, there are some greats on the show but it's not uniformly great. The acting quality is uneven. It's not completely critically acclaimed either.

I'd rank it far below the gold standard of the likes of the Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Started watching Shades of Blue, loving it so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Don't watch broadcast TV. It's ****ing terrible.

Find good shows and watch them in your own time either through streaming services or other means ;)

There's tons of great TV around in the past few years.

Autosport wrote: »
    Started watching Shades of Blue, loving it so far :)

That was very good (watched it a few months back). First it has Ray Liotta and Jennifer Lopez is actually pretty good in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

The show is critically acclaimed and hugely popular.

Just because it may not agree to your taste there is no need to try and appear intellectually superior by just rubbishing it whilt the vast majority of opinions from ordinary viewers to professional critics totally disagree with you.

Game of Thrones cannot be described in any way from production values, script, acting, pacing and writing as in any way average.
    By some. Not by many others. And you can say that about a lot of things. Just as you can describe anything as "average". Of course, if someone described The Wire as average, I would be irked, and absolutely convinced of the falsity of such a statement, but I would accept that person's right to express that point of view, and appreciate any reasons that were given. Even if I, and every other critic, wholly disagreed with them.

I didn't attempt to appear intellectually superior. I simply gave my critique of the show. Which has been fairly consistent for the last few years too. And I know a lot of people (book and non book readers) who share a similar view to myself. If I really wanted to be critical, I would simply say it's sex obsessed, fetishistic, populist nonsense. Most episodes contain uninteresting, flaccid filler, with the odd incredible scene occurring in every second episode or so. And I truly believe if more people were honest in their analysis of GoT and not consumed instead entirely by those climatic scenes I spoke of, you would find my point of view to be more common rather than any attempt to appear intellectually superior.

I don't care much about production values. The dragons and the CGI are the worst part of the show for me (yes, I know it's a fantasy based novel) but Game of Thrones as a tv show has always been at its strongest when focusing on issues such as family and political power struggles, and the character development in the early seasons. A lot of people seem more concerned with "Dragon development" which to me is absurd but at the end of the day I admit I am in a minority here. Though not as much a minority overall as you might make it out to be.
    Both shows have the capacity to change the way you think about life. I think The Wire accomplishes this slightly better, but the difference is really just down to season 4 which has set the standard for all tv shows imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

childsplay wrote: »
    Wasn't sure what l thought of it. You?

On third episode.
    It's definitely lost the suspense of the first film, he's pretty much a Michael Myers type killer. The acting is very shoddy to at times.

Watchable fun though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I'm on season 2 episode 3 of Game of Thrones at the moment. I've gotten into it a bit late but I'm finding it to be great so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just finished watching Banshee. Obviously far fetched but found it very entertaining.

Other shows I watch include Ray Donovan, The Last Ship, Mr Robot, The Strain, Gotham, House of Cards, Jessica Jones, Daredevil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

The amount of people on here who have watched a plethora of shows, without watching The Sopranos or The Wire, is crazy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

eoins23456 wrote: »

That's goddamn bull**** and you know it.

• Advertisement

I never watched the sopranos either.
    I see shannara is on Netflix. I hated the books but i might give the show a go. And season 2 gotham yay

Advertisement