Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"What series are you on?"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have just finished the latest season of Bojack Horseman. The show took a few episodes to find its rhythm in the first season, but once it hit its stride, it developed some serious emotional depth. The newest season is the strongest so far and it seems the writers have really put their finger on precisely what it is they want to say with the show in this season. The voice acting is excellent and the writing is first rate. A great critique of celebrity culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Watching Episodes with Matt LeBlanc. Surprisingly good and funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Do tell...

" A Nest Of Vipers " ..... The one where someone was letting venomous snakes get people?

I can't speak for the snakes. I don't know much about them, to be honest.

It was the frogs, at the end. (No Spoilers Here!) All they had to convey to the viewing public was that these must be 'Those " Poison Dart " frogs that are ridiculously poisonous and can kill people'. That's all they needed to feed the great unwashed.

Any small, colourful, unfamiliar frog would have done. Joe Public would have understood the cue. But, no! Someone, somewhere along the line, went to terrible lengths (See what I just did there? ;)) to actually present us with the genuine f**king article!

I was absolutely wiped out! This was before I had a computer. I'd never seen The Real Deal in the flesh. And here they were. Everything that followed was 100% authentic too. Ye have to applaud good research :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd suggest watching the original House of Cards, the BBC production. To play the King is the second series.

Ian Richardson was brilliant in it. I still use the "you might very well think that l, I couldn't possibly comment" line the odd time.

Cracker was another excellent series well worth a watch, looks a bit dated now but the scripts stand the test of time.

Good to see Mad Men getting a recent mention, it'll never age because of the timelines and BBC quality attention to detail in period scenes.

And The Wire. You've 5 or 6 main characters and another 4 or 5 supporting ones, and then every so often, during day to day life, you remember another 7 or 8 "minor" characters, and you just smile.

Mad Men and The Wire are epic novels brought to life.

I watched the original (House of Cards) back in the 90's. I loved it which is what attracted me to the new version. I'd love to watch it again after all these years.

I watched the first episode of The Wire. I found it a bit depressing so I'm not sure If I'll carry on with it.
    Good to see Mad Men getting a recent mention, it'll never age because of the timelines and BBC quality attention to detail in period scenes.

I didn't know the BBC were involved in Mad Men? I though it was a purely American production ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

learn_more wrote: »
    I watched the original (House of Cards) back in the 90's. I loved it which is what attracted me to the new version. I'd love to watch it again after all these years.

I watched the first episode of The Wire. I found it a bit depressing so I'm not sure If I'll carry on with it.

Stick with it, the first episode isn't the greatest but trust me, I wish I had never seen it all just so I could watch it all again for the first time, exactly the situation you are now in. So good.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I'm going to recommend Rectify again.

The first episode of the latest series with
    Daniel talking about how he didn't even really understand how to interact with people after being on his own for so long in prison
    was probably the most heartbreaking thing i've seen in either TV or movies.

A seriously under rated show.

buried wrote: »
    Stick with it ...

F**k, Yeah!!! To Not carry on would be like living ye life without ever experiencing sex. Cornish Ice Cream. Or The Sopranos :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Ive started The West Wing. Only a few episodes in but really enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I recently watched State of Play, from 2003
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362192/?ref_=tt_rec_tti
    by following a 'People who liked this also liked..' link on IMDB
    It reminded me of the 90s House of Cards. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Watching start up after a recommendation from here. Six episodes in very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just finishing Season 1 of House MD. Waiting patiently for Season 5 of House of Cards, although holding off on watching S4 till nearer its release.

Humans Series 2 is on the series link, and will make a start on that soon. Also plan to watch Season 1 of Fargo again, before attempting Season 2 again. Last attempt was interupted last year when I lost my Satalite to the weather.

Also watch Red Dwarf now again, think I am on Series 5 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Shenshen wrote:
    I sometimes think I'm the only person on the planet with a deep dislike of series - both TV and book. I only tolerate them in comic books.

I get you. Sometimes a series loses its way and it's sad to see the decline in quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just watched me first episode of Rick & Morty last night, absolutely insane, a tripped out version of Back to the Future and Futurama rolled into one.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Just watched me first episode of Rick & Morty last night, absolutely insane, a tripped out version of Back to the Future and Futurama rolled into one.

Another great show. Animation seems to be enjoying quite a bit of success at the moment. There's plenty to choose from out there. Venture Bros is a great one to check out too, if you're into animation. Came back this year after a couple of years hiatus, but still as good as ever imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Enjoying The Night Manager just now, based on a Le Carre novel

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

On season 7 of House MD, completely binge watching it. Didn't get into it the first time around and really enjoying it now I have to say.

The Night Of is next on my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Enjoying The Night Manager just now, based on a Le Carre novel

This is amazing. One of the best things I have seen this year!

Hugh Lauries new show Chance is really gripping so far. Reminds me of some of the darker old Hitchcock movies, all twisty and suspensy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Boardwalk Empire. Really enjoying it so far. Like a period piece Sopranos, which I re-watched immediately prior.

• Advertisement

"People Just Do Nothing" BBC3 mockumentary series about a bunch of young chav goons running a Drum & Bass/Garage pirate radio station in Brentford. Very 'Officey' but very very funny, especially for anyone familiar of that modern UK pirate radio scene. First season also on Netflix I think.
    Seen a few episodes of that hilarious stuff.

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Watching the Sopranos for the first time and loving it (on season 5), also watching suits don't really care for the new season, same with Ray Donovan (how much sh1t can he go through). Watched the first episode of "The night of" last night and meh bit too far fetched but not in a silly tv kinda way.

Finished season 2 of Narcos, loved it.

I envy you watching the Sopranos for the first time. It's my second favourite show of all time. The writing is so good.

LorMal wrote: »
    I don't know what age you are, but I can assure you that television is definitely not in a golden age now.
    That might be true for the US because their TV was absolutely appalling before HBO - with adverts every few minutes.
    But we have had excellent TV since the 1970s. It peaked in the 80s but has declined somewhat since the 'million channels, nothing on' era has arrived.
    The sopranos was excellent - but it's just one series.
    Not much can touch The Wire imo, with the Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Love/Hate, Boardwalk Empire and OZ following. HBO makes amazing TV.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I've been meaning for a while to get into shows like game of thrones or stranger things etc but I find myself watching re runs of Always sunny in Philadelphia. That show is just too damn funny.

I also have a problem that if the show is longer than 30 minutes I get distracted and lose interest.
    It's always Sunny is the funniest sitcom I've ever seen. No weak links on that show at all. Consistently funny for almost 10 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Loving Westworld. Best tv show I've watched in a while. Bit slow to start but it's turning out great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭DenMan

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Loving Westworld. Best tv show I've watched in a while. Bit slow to start but it's turning out great.

I really have to get back to it! I watched the first episode about a month ago and a few days ago checked my Sky Planner and there's another five episodes recorded on it. I really liked the pilot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Boardwalk Empire. Really enjoying it so far. Like a period piece Sopranos, which I re-watched immediately prior.

Boardwalk Empire is an incredible show, I'm going to binge it all someday.
    Lia_lia wrote: »

I'm not sold on it, I'm letting a few episodes build up and I'll watch them when I'm on a long flight this weekend.

Currently watching Top Boy, brilliant show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just finished season 1 of The Crown, thought it was excellent. Like me some historical drama so might start Wolf Hall next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

learn_more wrote: »

I didn't know the BBC were involved in Mad Men? I though it was a purely American production ?

Sorry, BBC quality attention to detail, Mad men was made by AMC.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Seen Narcos season 2 mentioned a few times. Did anyone else find it crap compared to season one? I was going to scream if I say any more images of the wife looking worried out a window by the end of it. She was barely even a character in the first season when things actually happened. Loved the first season.

I think I just prefer good storylines and characters over long drawn out central character development. Hence I much prefer the Wire to the Sopranos, Love GOT but was never overly fond of Breaking Bad. Can see why others like it I suppose, with the exception of Narcos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Stick with it, the first episode isn't the greatest but trust me, I wish I had never seen it all just so I could watch it all again for the first time, exactly the situation you are now in. So good.

Yep, I found it took 3 or 4 episodes of the first season of the Wire to really click, but once it does...

Those first few "slower" episodes help to get you to identify with the characters.

Caught up with Season 2 and 3 of Line of Duty from the BBC, quality, edge of the seat stuff about the anti corruption unit of the English police. Didn't know until recently it was mostly filmed in Belfast , Adrian Dunbar is excellent in it and series 3 is very topical and believable. It's BBC 2's most watched drama in years and is moving to BBC 1 in the spring.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how you can compare the two.

The Sopranos is far more insular, psychological, fragmented, metaphorical and character driven than The Wire. It's mainly about one person (Tony is apparently on screen 70% of the time) and how willing/able is that person to change, in light of the horrible crap he does/gets into. Reminds me of a Dostoyevsky/Modernist novel tbh. Kafka or some crap.

Basically The Sopranos comes down to (imo) how you find Tony Soprano as a person.

The Wire is far more sprawling, political, macro, taking swings and stabs at all areas of society. Reminds me of a Charles Dickens/Thackerey/Tolstoy novel.

That said...

I'm going to go with The Sopranos. I think there's more depth: Tony Soprano is one of the greatest characters in any medium, and that ending, fcuking hell. They nailed that.

Remember watching it for the first time and thinking my telly was bust.

Breaking Bad/GoT don't come close to either imo.
    Breaking Bad was excellent, but was just a bit too cartoonish compared to the Wire and the Sopranos to be as good as those shows.

Game of thrones surprised me how good it was. I'm not really into fantasy stuff but the Lannisters sold me on that show, plus the ruthless character kill offs. But As a fantasy it can be a bit childish for me sometimes. Still great though.

I'd pick the Wire over Sopranos but it's a very close call. The realism of the wire is just crazy. Nothing was sentimental or sacred on that show. Plus it had one of my favourite anti heroes of all time in Omar.

Honorable mention, OZ was the HBO show that kinda started the whole HBO being known for great TV thing off.

Just been speaking to a guy who's watching Eutopia, for the first time ever!!!

He was doing my head in, frankly. Because we're in a chat room and he kept giving me little updates on what he's seeing!

" Oh! One of the cops just ..... " " Ooh! I've just watched the scene with the eyes! ". And I'm like; 'Shut up! F**k off and Enjoy it, FFS! I've seen it two or three times already! It's brilliant!'

I'm just out getting some fuel, and I'm thinking: " I wonder if he's met Jessica Hyde yet. Modelling soft, worn, tight denim, in a rather comely fashion! "

I get back in here and he's saying; "

" 'Hello, I'm Jessica Hyde...' what a f**king ending! Jessica Hyde wouldn't get kicked out of the sack though! "

Yep. He'd seen that soft, taught denim ....! ;)

Neil Maskell always does it for me though. Shrug. Shield. Shoot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

What series are you on?
    The Wire. Watched every season several times from start to finish and still haven't finished it. Some times I think I haven't even started it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I think you can tell a lot about what TV shows people write off.

You can tell that they watch a lot of sh!t TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Noveight wrote: »
    Easily the coolest bloke I've watched on screen for a long time, must make whiskey my tipple of choice :cool::P

Seems a strange takeaway from the show to me! Don appears cool at first, but is actually totally messed up and filled with a huge emotional void!

Much like every character in Mad Men.

Currently binging on Boardwalk Empire. So far, so good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

I can honestly say that not only have I never watched most of the series mentioned in this thread, I have never even heard of a good 50%-60% of them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

On episode 6 of the new MacGyver. It's getting better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Started Poldark, enjoying it . I always seem to enjoy period dramas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I can honestly say that not only have I never watched most of the series mentioned in this thread, I have never even heard of a good 50%-60% of them.

Threads like this are great for when you are in a "what to watch next?" position.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Started Berlin Station,its not bad so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Quarry- with an appearance by our own Aoibhinn McGinnity, (previously Trish, late of Love/Hate parish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Watching Kingdom at the moment, top notch show

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Timmyr wrote: »

Stephen Fry is great

just kidding; presume it's the MMA Kingdom, love it & I've no interest in MMA/UFC whatever your having yourself

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Timmyr wrote: »
    I'll be checking that out soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Watching Ballers right now, love it. Aint no one cooler than The Rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The good place. Basically comedy series where a mix up sends the wrong person to heaven.

Kristen bell is really good in this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

maudgonner wrote: »
    Band of Brothers is one of my favourite mini-series. I hate to think what it would have been like if they tried to squash it into a feature length story. (Saving Private Ryan, I suppose). As it is, I wish there was more of it, not less.

You'll then be pleased to know there's another series following bomber crews in the works. I think it's called The Might Eighth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 airportlackie

House of cards, narcos and forgot classic shows well worth watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

K-9 wrote: »
    Mad Men and The Wire are epic novels brought to life.

I often see Man Men mentioned but i can't imagine how a show about an advertising agency could be that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

kowloon wrote: »
    You'll then be pleased to know there's another series following bomber crews in the works. I think it's called The Might Eighth.

Yes, have been very much looking forward to that for ages. Nobody seems to know when it will finally be released though, it been a long time in the works with very little info emerging about it.

Advertisement