Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I make a formal complaint

• 30-08-2016 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭

Last year my car Renewal quote was about 55per cent more than the previous year. I queried the increase and was told that they could give me a small discount there an then. It still was about 45per cent more. I rang them back and asked what their annual policies went up by. They said 25 to 30 per cent. So I calculated what my policy should be and they agreed and gave me that quote.
    Same crap again this year. My quote is about 50per cent more, even though I've now an extra years no claims bonus.i rang them and was offered a 30eur discount over the phone. When I asked what their policies went up by I was told 35/40 per cent. I asked if they could be more specific like was it 35 or 40.? I mentioned that my quote was still above that percentage and that I now have another year no claims. Anyway they wouldn't quote me any less. They said that what tge computer comes back with based on my info.
    I then rang up to ask them to send me out my No Claims Bonus ( I had found a cheaper quote with a different provider). They sent out a photo copy of my No Claims with only 2yrs on it instead of the 4 I have. When I rang them back up to complain. They said that yes they can see on their system that I have 4 and not two and that they would send the correct cert. I also asked them to email me out a new quotation based on the 4 yrs no claims. I now think that my last yrs quote was incorrect and that they are deliberately not quoting correct renewals in order to get more money out of people. I've heard similar excessive quote that friends have received from current providers.
    Should I make a complaint to regulators based on them not passing on the No Claims Discounts and Renewal quotes above the annual increase percentage on their policies. I'm just so sick of having to battle with my car insurance provider every year and get dishonest quotes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no fixed annual increase. Some policies go up more than others. The NCB sounds like a minor error and was corrected.

You will be wasting everyone's time complaining. There is no regulator to begin with anyway

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just shop around yearly for the best price making sure you've all the correct detsils. It's the only way to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Average increases don't apply to all policies. Some go up more, some less. They try to limit certain types of policy holder and increase those more. Nothing you can do except go elsewhere. The NCB cert error is a red herring if the system held the right details. I don't think you have grounds for any complaint. Thus is the world of car insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

pc7 wrote: »
    Just shop around yearly for the best price making sure you've all the correct detsils. It's the only way to play it.

It's not really a matter of shopping around. They refused to give him his correct details. The time delay in doing so ties his hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    It's not really a matter of shopping around. They refused to give him his correct details. The time delay in doing so ties his hands.

No, they made a mistake which was corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

If you are married add your partner to the policy. If they have full licence and no points you will probably see the quote drop by 25%.

I'm on wife's insurance. Her quote dropped from just over €600 to under €450. Similarly when I added her to my policy earlier this year, my cost dropped from almost €800 to under €600.

Seems insurance companies look on married couples as less risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

your no claims is only one of several rating factors....
    technically you could go to the best rating for NCD and see your premium rise because the other factors screw you

average increases mean nothing, your particular details just may fall into a few "bad" rating factors to push your premium above the average increase.

i work in IT in insurance and work with these calculations quite a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I am not sure if you have changed insurer.

If not, I would complain to your insurer in writing and make it clear that your letter is a formal complaint about their conduct and in particular how very unsatisfactory and incompetent they have been to deal with. That might get you something out of them.

If you have changed insurers the practical advice is to forget about it.

Whilst there is no regulator I wonder if you meant the Financial Services Ombudsman's Bureau ? Link https://www.financialombudsman.ie/. IMHO a complaint would not be worth the trouble on the basis of the facts you outlined.

BTW you have to get a definitive reply from the insurers before you can progress to a formal complain to the FSOB in the event that the reply does not satisfy you. The insurers know this and might be inclined to give you some consideration rather than the pain of dealing with a complaint which can consume large amounts of the insurer's time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Motor Insurance forum

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

I've now moved insurer. So I'll just leave it at that
    Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement