Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quintana...'Ban Power Meters from racing'

Options
  • 30-08-2016 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

And Valverde too.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/quintana-calls-for-power-meters-to-be-banned-from-racing/

I'd have to agree. Its a training aid. If they want to race with power meters then let them carry spare tubes, a pump, multi-tool and ride on clinchers! Seriously though, riding to numbers rather than feeling takes away a little of the drama of the race. The problem is, if you try to ban PM's then you have to go back and look at race-radio's too... though they're not usually used in training.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

velo.2010 wrote: »
    And Valverde too.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/quintana-calls-for-power-meters-to-be-banned-from-racing/

I'd have to agree. Its a training aid. If they want to race with power meters then let them carry spare tubes, a pump, multi-tool and ride on clinchers! Seriously though, riding to numbers rather than feeling takes away a little of the drama of the race. The problem is, if you try to ban PM's then you have to go back and look at race-radio's too... though they're not usually used in training.

I disagree. Let them ride however they want. They aren't here to entertain us they are their to win. Entertaining us is down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I would say ban the radios. The races without them seem to be more spontaneous, on the rivet type racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

godtabh wrote: »
    I disagree. Let them ride however they want. They aren't here to entertain us they are their to win. Entertaining us is down the list.

Entertaining us is at least second on the list in the professional game.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

In my view, Professional sport is entertainment. If nobody was watching, it wouldn't be on TV, simple really. The Tour has become so predictable and formulatic that I barely watch more than a few stages. I would like to see Power meters, Race Radios any anything else that discourages spontaneity taken away from cycling. Even making the routes more varied

The first week of this Vuelta has been far more interesting than most GTs due to the lack of flat/sprint stages. We dont know who is going to win each day as opposed to the normal handful of sprinters we know will win in sprint stages.

I love the Vuelta.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DonegalBay wrote: »

The first week of this Vuelta has been far more interesting than most GTs due to the lack of flat/sprint stages. We dont know who is going to win each day as opposed to the normal handful of sprinters we know will win in sprint stages.

I love the Vuelta.

And thats down to course design as power meters and race radios are all available

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they should cycle blindfolded with a teammate - who is not allowed overtake them - cycling behind shouting instructions on which way to turn, which gear to select, etc.

actually, is there anywhere that tandem racing is done on a serious basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭theflamingpig

I think they should be banned. They take away from the excitement and races seem less epic when you know they're just looking at numbers. But now that they're here as sponsors it would be hard to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Ban power meters and race radios

And sport is all about entertainment .....wining is not the real attraction ....you can win with 10 Chris Froomes against 10 proconi riders but no one will want to watch

Sport has always been about entertainment and the battle for supremacy ...never about being supreme ...then it becomes boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Ban power meters and race radios

And sport is all about entertainment .....wining is not the real attraction ....you can win with 10 Chris Froomes against 10 proconi riders but no one will want to watch

Sport has always been about entertainment and the battle for supremacy ...never about being supreme ...then it becomes boring

Pro sport is about selling stuff; everything else is secondary.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Think we should ban bikes - improve Froome's chances....

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Hager

Paralympics and all other events that those competitors do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

they should cycle blindfolded with a teammate - who is not allowed overtake them - cycling behind shouting instructions on which way to turn, which gear to select, etc.

Tandem blind racing in Rio should be on the telly in a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Funny thing is I spotted Quintana fiddling with his Garmin just around the time of his second attack on Covadonga and I was thinking he's either checking Strava live segments or his Power meter.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

robinph wrote: »
    Tandem blind racing in Rio should be on the telly in a week or so.
    Hopefully a couple of guys I know will once again break the minute for the standing start kilometre

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Yep and race radios.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

and carbon. and wheels. and and and.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

DonegalBay wrote: »
    In my view, Professional sport is entertainment. If nobody was watching, it wouldn't be on TV, simple really. The Tour has become so predictable and formulatic that I barely watch more than a few stages. I would like to see Power meters, Race Radios any anything else that discourages spontaneity taken away from cycling. Even making the routes more varied

I love the Vuelta.

There is some value- commercial, historic, economic etc - in having reasonably flat/rolly stages that end in bunch sprints in the grand tours. Yes I agree that the hills/mountains effectively identify the contenders but you cannot just obliterate the need for flat/sprint stages. And they often produce brilliant tactics and splits in crosswinds or bad weather; remember stage 2 in Holland last year in the TDF for example; it's not everybody's fup of tea. But as a racer who at club level would represent the 'lumpier' contingent in the Irish peleton, I don't think bike racing should effectively be reduced to a test of who can ride up/down a hill fastest, nor a sport where whoever has the fanciest bike computer technology typically wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

ban race radios and power meters. bring the races back to a more pure and simple format. they were able to the same races in the 30s 40s and 50s without radios or computers and they all got along fine. keep the improvements in bike tech and skill rather then fancy computers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

neris wrote: »
    ban race radios and power meters. bring the races back to a more pure and simple format. they were able to the same races in the 30s 40s and 50s without radios or computers and they all got along fine. keep the improvements in bike tech and skill rather then fancy computers

Well then let's ban any groupset with more than 5 gears while we're at it.

As much as dislike temp riding we only actually see it successfully implemented in one of the 3 grand tours. Let's ban Le Tour de France so.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Brian? wrote: »
    Let's ban Le Tour de France so.

seconded :D

• Advertisement

If it was up to me I'd ban power meters, race radio and limit the number of team cars. Yes, it's about winning, but pretty much every sport has restrictions on equipment to level the playing field or make the spectacle compelling. So does cycling, and this would just be another.

Those with long memories may remember Stephen Roche's heroics at La Plagne in 1987. As it stands that sort of drama can never happen again in professional cycling, which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

JK.BMC wrote: »
    ..I don't think bike racing should effectively be reduced to a test of who can ride up/down a hill fastest .

Agree with this. Is it not ironic to complain about the predictability of sprint stages and ignore the fact that there are only 3 or 4 people who can aspire to
    win the TdF simply because of the huge emphasis on climbing? And to a large extent climbing comes down to weight. At least imo, Peter Sagan is a more interesting rider to watch than Quintana/Froome, but Sagan will never win the Tour (unless he changes his body completely) and hasn't a prayer in the Vuelta. To me, that devalues the GTs a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I would ban the power meters but not the race radios.When they were banned a few years ago at the Tour it led to even more conservative/cautious racing.....no one was let go because they were afraid the race would get away from the peleton.

I would reduce the number of riders in teams though. Teams of six or seven would lead to much improved racing with no single team able to control things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

If audience figures on tv and roadside plummetted with the continuation of very frustrating and boring, totally controlled racing like the mountains of this year's Tour, I'd say you'd find entertainment or lack of might start to look quite important the list in what matters to the sport.

lennymc wrote: »
    and carbon. and wheels. and and and.

Well if we want to simplfy the argument to stupid levels, since bicycles preceded motorbikes and since motorbikes of course are a technological on bicycles, then pro-cyclists should be allowed use motorbikes as otherwise one is ignorantly standing in the way of progress.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

If it was up to me I'd ban power meters, race radio and limit the number of team cars. Yes, it's about winning, but pretty much every sport has restrictions on equipment to level the playing field or make the spectacle compelling. So does cycling, and this would just be another.

it's already level. every team can use power meters. it doesn't get any more level than that

Those with long memories may remember Stephen Roche's heroics at La Plagne in 1987. As it stands that sort of drama can never happen again in professional cycling, which is a shame.

why on earth can it not happen again. roche, even though he had no meter to tell him what his watts were, did one of two things: rode right to the limit of what his level of fitness was, i.e. his max watts, or else he found a little bit more and exceeded what he believed to be his max watts.

having a power meter on the bike stops neither of those things happening again. what stops them is a rider seeing the number on his computer and being scared he doesn't have any more to give. and that fear isn't based on power meters, it's based on the risk that he doesn't have the extra bit to give, explodes, and doesn't deliver for the team.

on the flip side, maybe somone should ask quintana if he thinks a PM was responsible for his poor showing at the TdF. was he in better shape than froome but just couldn't show it cause his PM wouldn't let him? yeah right

and realistically, quintana is calling for this as PM's are allowing guys to ride close to the edge, taking away some of the advantage he has as a natural climber who grew up on the climbs. maybe the others can argue he has an unfair advantage given where he grew up so if wants PM's banned then anyone who grew up at altitude shouldn't be allowed race due to their advantage too.

stupidly daft argument , especially when there has been pretty evident proof that reducing team sizes and race radio's have a positive effect. if you do down the PM route, then you also have to remove HR sensors, speed sensors, cadence sensors, as an approximation for power can be obtained from every one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

People aren't machines, power meters only capture one element of human performance.

Anyone who has raced or trained with a power meter knows this.

Quintana is presumably moaning because he's losing (i'm not inviting spoilers).

Lumen wrote: »

Quintana is presumably moaning because he's losing (i'm not inviting spoilers).

Spoilers are irrelevant since Quintana is leading since yesterday, and so is not moaning because he is losing.

People saying power meters are more or less irrelevant or besides the point. Wout Poels said during the Tour how he and the Sky team ride just below threshold in the mountains. How this enables them to be able to control the racing and respond to any attacks that do happen. He said he would not like to ride against Sky and how yes it's probably boring to watch. Not really in the camp of wanting it to be easier to have boring controlled racing myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Ban technology is rubbish. If a team has the balls to attack sky en masse they will blow them out of the water. Instead most teams sit in skys wheels and try bugger all because they are afraid of not winning.

Remember Garmin in 2012?

" That year, on Stage 9, Garmin attacked almost from the gun, sending a flurry of high-caliber riders up the road in successive moves that forced Sky to chase.

The ferocity of Garmin’s attack clearly caught Sky by surprise. Under the effort of the chase, Richie Porte, one of Froome’s best lieutenants, cracked and lost 18 minutes—the best finish of Sky’s domestiques that day. Vasil Kiryienka, a rouleur fine enough to win last year’s World Time Trial Championship, blew up so bad he finished outside the time limit."

http://www.bicycling.com/racing/tour-de-france/the-killer-tactic-that-would-destroy-froome-and-team-sky

Advertisement