Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone unlock

Options
  • 30-08-2016 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

How long does it take when you come off contract with a mobile phone provider for the phone to be unlocked by Apple ,I'm waiting on an unlock code from the previous owner ,she said she's waiting on an email from Apple

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

How long does it take when you come off contract with a mobile phone provider for the phone to be unlocked by Apple ,I'm waiting on an unlock code from the previous owner ,she said she's waiting on an email from Apple

They say to allow up to 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 DeiseMan4

Apple don't unlock the phone, the phone provider does that. I get an upgrade and sell the previous phone every year (iphone) and I end up ringing 3 and explaining to them. It takes 24-48 hours but the phone has nothing to do with it. The unlock is only a code from the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

The seller said it's an email from Apple

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

DeiseMan4 wrote: »
    Apple don't unlock the phone, the phone provider does that. I get an upgrade and sell the previous phone every year (iphone) and I end up ringing 3 and explaining to them. It takes 24-48 hours but the phone has nothing to do with it. The unlock is only a code from the network.

Completely the wrong way around. Network has to request unlock from Apple. There is no "code", the unlock goes through iTunes. Apple won't unlock it unless the network requests it.

Yeah sorry but that's really not how it works. Apple have 0 to do with it, they sell phones unlocked all of them. The carrier locks the phone via the sim for obvious reasons. When you ring the carrier they will give you a code which you punch into where you enter the phone numbers and it will unlock the phone.

• Advertisement

Tramore eh? weather's sh**e tonight

Yeah sorry but that's really not how it works. Apple have 0 to do with it, they sell phones unlocked all of them. The carrier locks the phone via the sim for obvious reasons. When you ring the carrier they will give you a code which you punch into where you enter the phone numbers and it will unlock the phone.

Seriously, have you ever unlocked an iPhone? There is no "code". Apple unlock it upon request from Apple. Go in to Three/Meteor/VF forums and ask the reps.

every time i';ve done it I ring them up and they give me it.

apps.three .ie /contact_form/ unlockcode

How to get an unlock code

Now if you don't believe me literally google 'iphone unlock code from apple' and see how Apple has nothing to do with it. Directly from the Apple support site

• Advertisement

apps.three .ie /contact_form/ unlockcode

How to get an unlock code

Which they request from Apple. If you reckon you've typed a code into an iPhone, you're talking through your hoop.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Which they request from Apple. If you reckon you've typed a code into an iPhone, you're talking through your hoop.

You're carrier does it so apple won't email you the same way apple won't directly unlock your phone

Thanks for all he feedback I just was not sure how long it will take and how does it work ,the seller said she's waiting in an email
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I have never had to wait until any contract is up to get an unlock code.I have my present phone S7 edge since march/ and they unlocked it for me when I requested it,wife son and daughter all have Iphones and all unlocked long before contracts are up. the process is you request the phone to be unlocked from the network opperator, they request same from apple and apple unlock phone through I tunes. Has never taken any more than three or four days.With the S7 they text you a code,simples.

I have never had to wait until any contract is up to get an unlock code.I have my present phone S7 edge since march/ and they unlocked it for me when I requested it,wife son and daughter all have Iphones and all unlocked long before contracts are up. the process is you request the phone to be unlocked from the network opperator, they request same from apple and apple unlock phone through I tunes. Has never taken any more than three or four days.With the S7 they text you a code,simples.

Worried now

Worried now

All mine a code through email within a week and then 24-48 hours for the unlock

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

whiterebel wrote:
    Seriously, have you ever unlocked an iPhone? There is no "code". Apple unlock it upon request from Apple. Go in to Three/Meteor/VF forums and ask the reps.

+1 Apple are different from all other phones. Only Apple can unlock them. Apple love being in control

Right lads I google it for a while and it turns out I'm wrong. I always though since you had to contact the carrier it was them but I guess not. Sorry for wasting your time and testing your patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

DeiseMan4 wrote:
    Right lads I google it for a while and it turns out I'm wrong. I always though since you had to contact the carrier it was them but I guess not. Sorry for wasting your time and testing your patience.

No big deal. Happens to all of us from time to time

Thanks for all he feedback I just was not sure how long it will take and how does it work ,the seller said she's waiting in an email
    Thanks

Depending on who the Operator is, they can take 3/4 days before they even request it. Usually only a couple of days once Apple receive the request. Last time I asked Eir to request it, it took about a week. Unlock straight to iTunes as usual. Eventually when you sync it, it tells you it is unlocked. The seller may never get a message to say it is unlocked, you have to keep trying iTunes or put in a different SIM card.

• Advertisement

Depending on who the Operator is, they can take 3/4 days before they even request it. Usually only a couple of days once Apple receive the request. Last time I asked Eir to request it, it took about a week. Unlock straight to iTunes as usual. Eventually when you sync it, it tells you it is unlocked. The seller may never get a message to say it is unlocked, you have to keep trying iTunes or put in a different SIM card.

Oh thanks so I should try a different sim

Oh thanks so I should try a different sim

You can do. Its an inexact science. Some operators tell you the unlock is done, most don't and you have to use trial and error. Syncing it in iTunes is probably the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

With samdung and apple I always needed a simple from another network

You can do. Its an inexact science. Some operators tell you the unlock is done, most don't and you have to use trial and error. Syncing it in iTunes is probably the best way.

How do I sync it's my first iPhone any help please

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

You need to download iTunes on a laptop/PC and connect the phone to it. It will start syncing automatically.
    If you have to phone connected to wifi just try a different SIM card in it. Last few iPhones I unlocked were all done wirelessly without having to connect to iTunes.

Go to apple.com/ie then go to support and iPhone. That is the best starting point for someone new to iPhones.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

To check if an iphone is unlocked:

Go to Settings
    Then. Carrier

If the phone is unlocked Carrier appears as Automatic. Only

If still locked it givea the name of the carrier it is locked in to.

The unlock is updated on the iphone when it is synced with Itunes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Oxter wrote: »
    To check if an iphone is unlocked:

Go to Settings
    Then. Carrier

If the phone is unlocked Carrier appears as Automatic. Only

If still locked it givea the name of the carrier it is locked in to.

The unlock is updated on the iphone when it is synced with Itunes

That's pure and utter tripe. I'm fairly sure all iPhones are on automatic by default and it really only makes a difference when roaming where you can select a different network.

guil wrote: »
    That's pure and utter tripe. I'm fairly sure all iPhones are on automatic by default and it really only makes a difference when roaming where you can select a different network.

I got thus on my Iphone.
    Have you got an Iphone, Smartass?

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    All that does it change the way you connect to networks :confused:

The Cartiers name appears if the phone is locked

Advertisement