Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair advice

Options
  • 30-08-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi looking for some help/advise
    Our flight was scheduled to leave Lisbon airport at 10am. We got to the airport at 7.30/7.45, checked in our luggage and went through security. There was only one station open to let hundreds of people through including our flight and there were significant delays. We were told the security staff were on strike. Everyone was worried they were going to miss their flight as no information was being provided to us- all we could do is keep going. We got to our boarding gate at 10.10am the gates weren't open and everyone was waiting to board. The plane was on the Tarmac. Next thing we saw the plane closed its doors and left the airport. We were told our fight was cancelled and to head back to the ticket desk to reschedule our flights. All other airlines e.g easyjet, airlingus etc waited for their passengers and then left with all passengers onboard. We were told by an unofficial source that Ryanair made a business decision where as all other airlines made an ethical decision and waited on their passengers. The desk was chaotic as an Italian flight was cancelled by Ryanair also and only one person was at the desk- not Ryanair staff. The girl on the desk (who deserves a medal) told us there was no flight until Wednesday 31st August and started issuing new tickets (we were in the middle of the queue for about 3 hours and never even made it to the her). People were panicking due to the fact they hadn't the money to stay, had to go back to work, kids had to go to school etc and started looking up flights online to try get home. We didn't know where our bags were (Dublin or Lisbon), if Ryanair would cover our accommodation or our meals or if there would even be enough room to fit us on that flight on Wednesday. We couldn't reschedule online because Ryanair had the flight marked as landed in Dublin on time so as far as the system was concerned we had returned home on our flight. People started paying out a fortune for new flights from faro with some people getting buses and trains to Madrid and getting flights from there. We nearly paid £480 each for a flight from Lisbon to Geneva and on to Dublin (about 12 hours between traveling and stopovers) and decided to take a breath before handing over any money. Please note STILL no contact from anyone in Ryanair to any of us. We also started campaigning on Social media through Facebook and Twitter, her.ie and Joe.ie. We posted on Ryanair's Facebook and Twitter pages and started contacting RTE news, the Mirror, Irish Times and local political parties to try to get some communication from Ryanair. About 3pm (I can't confirm an exact time) The Irish embassy had received news a new flight was being rescheduled for us that night at 12.40 am and we should receive communication from Ryanair in the next hour or two- I received an email at 15.53 confirming the same. What are our rights.
    1- I know they are going to say due to strikes no payout but the plane was there and passengers were ready to get onto it so strikes as such weren't the issue. Some passengers arrived at the gate at 9.30 and still they took no one on board so strikes aren't an excuse
    2- every other airline waited for their passengers
    3- we received absolutely no direct communication about what was happening until they emailed (about 6 hours after the flight was due to depart)
    4- I personally think we would have been left to wait for flights until Wednesday only for the passengers took to social media

Our major frustration was zero communication and customer service throughout what was a very stressful time for us. People paid out money for flights due to the fact we were told no flights until Wednesday and they had to get home. There were many passengers with young families and no money and we felt completely stranded and alone. To my knowledge some people didn't even make the rescheduled flight as they were on trains to Madrid and other airports.

According to Ryanair's terms and conditions we should have received a text message - see below. I didn't receive anything

9.2.2 If your flight is cancelled or delayed for at least two hours, we will provide you with the text stating your rights, particularly with regard to compensation and assistance. (click here for the text setting out these rights)

Also I read a notice should have been put up in the airport there was nothing

Last I can't claim off my holiday insurance as Ryanair have the flight down as delayed not cancelled even though it was cancelled. We were told at the boarding gate the flight was cancelled, they only put an additional flight on when we went to the press and our embassy got involved

Also our bags were left completely unattended in another terminal beside a luggage belt where anything could have happened to them.

I live chatted to a Ryanair rep regarding us not being to get refunds online to book new flights at the time because online it said we landed in Dublin and they said there is no facility for them to cancel flights as it isn't in their terms and conditions

Any advise on what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ideb

You will probably be entitled to "Denied boarding" legislation. Sorry, I can't post a link. Just google denied boarding compensation Ireland. Citizens Advice website or Aviationreg website should provide details.

Advertisement