Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will insure 20+year old cars

Options
  • 30-08-2016 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

A couple of weeks ago i changed car to a 94 toyota corolla 1.3 rang quote devil as im with kenco isnurance and they said they cant quote me.
    Will any company insure 20+year old cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Try a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My car is 18 years old, Bank of ireland gave me best quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

What millage do you do? you can get classic car insurance if you do less then 6000 miles a year with aig and allianz . but not sure if they would accept a corolla as a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If they did then any old banger would be a classic.
    You may have to be a member of an Irish classic car club. Or similar, it depends.

OP, try brokers and all the links in the "list of insurers" sticky

my old 93 bmw and my current 97 bmw 840 were insured as classics with aig. no club memberships and they were my only and daily drivers.

But they dont always allow jap cars. all you can do is ask and mabey try a broker.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Skatedude wrote: »
    my old 93 bmw and my current 97 bmw 840 were insured as classics with aig. no club memberships and they were my only and daily drivers.

But they dont always allow jap cars. all you can do is ask and mabey try a broker.

What is the logic of that? Sure, if you're talking twin-cams, skylines, civics and the like but a 94 Corolla is as unassuming and mundane as things get.

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    What is the logic of that? Sure, if you're talking twin-cams, skylines, civics and the like but a 94 Corolla is as unassuming and mundane as things get.

Er, Logic and insurance companies dont mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I am going to drive it through 3rd party extension untill my renewal in november and see what i can do then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I am going to drive it through 3rd party extension untill my renewal in november and see what i can do then.

Do you mean that you are going to use the driving other cars extension of an existing policy for a different car as the basis for valid insurance on the 1994 Toyota whilst driving it ?

If so, are you sure that the driving other cars extension does not exclude driving a car that you actually own ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Do you mean that you are going to use the driving other cars extension of an existing policy for a different car as the basis for valid insurance on the 1994 Toyota whilst driving it ?

If so, are you sure that the driving other cars extension does not exclude driving a car that you actually own ?

Ya the logbook has gone into my fathers name

• Advertisement
Advertisement