Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local property tax

Options
  • 29-08-2016 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Complicated!!

I own a property with my ex. 2 bed apartment. Bought in 2007. Split in 2008. Rented until 2012
    Sumner 2012 we are pleading for repossession
    Eventually last couple of weeks and offer has been accepted and we are in the process of selling and coming to some arrangement with the bank over the outstanding balance.
    The guy who was renting until 2012 contacted me today saying that he was in touch about tax back with revenue and they informed him they have been deducting money from his wages.
    He's trying to sort it out with revenue for a refund. I contacted the revenue they said because we didn't register tor property tax that they then go to next name for the address. So when that man moved out he never changed his correspondence address with revenue that's how he was landed with the big bill.
    Does this mean now that sale of property won't go through until myself and ex pay the balance.
    My solicitor seemed to think that the money owed to revenue could be paid from sale.
    Also if this old Tennant of ours gives them my address does this mean that they will automatically connect me with the apartment and not my ex therefore it's only me getting it deducted from me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

You wont be able to complete the sale until the Property Tax and NPPR have been paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭xxbrady

I need to get myself and my ex's name down for a property that we own. I'v no contact with him but I don't want to take the fall for 4 years property tax. Any advise on how I'd do it without his pps

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You're already in penalty territory.
    Collection of property tax was handed over to the Revenue Commissioners- who in turn had a default of collecting it as a salary deduction from those who are in gainful employment- or from social welfare disbursements- from those reliant on social welfare.

I'd suggest you contact Revenue and clarify what your position is- its entirely possible that the tax already be deducted at source (the default position for when they don't get a specific declaration to the contrary). You never know- perhaps your ex has paid the property tax unwittingly..........

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The OP posted on this already. Revenue had been deducting it from their tenant.

They also appear to not have paid NPPR and will have an extremely hefty bill for this. Once Revenue have one person (you) on the hook for the lot they aren't going to care about looking for the ex - although clearly you are in contact with him if you're able to sell the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Mod: Threads merged. OP, stick to one thread please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement