Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone from usa

Options
  • 30-08-2016 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking into getting a new phone over the next few weeks, planning on picking up the Iphone SE as I'm not a fan of bigger phones and I like how it looks, juts wondering as I have a friend going to the USA In a few weeks and the SE is over 100 euro cheaper to buy in the US, If I get my friend to pick up a sim free SE while they're over there will it work for me when they get home or does anyone have any experience with doing so? thanks a million for your help!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes. Just make sure it's the sim free version.
    Have bought before is the US over the years without hassle.

Only thing is that any warranty claims had to be handled by the Apple Store in Belfast which meant a trip up but I believe there's an authorized apple agent for phones in Dublin now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Not to mention paying the VAT and customs fees. These €100 saving evaporates rather quickly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not to mention paying the VAT and customs fees. These €100 saving evaporates rather quickly.

Yeah if caught, this will
    Wipe out any savings and in fact will Make them More expensive than buying here.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The price on the Apple US site will be minus sales tax too. The sales tax % (the US equivalent of VAT) varies from state to state, you'll have to add that onto the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

should be grand, just get them to whip it out of the box and throw it in their pocket and itd be fine wouldnt it?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    The price on the Apple US site will be minus sales tax too. The sales tax % (the US equivalent of VAT) varies from state to state, you'll have to add that onto the cost.

yeah ive factored that in already, even with the sales tax for the state in question its still over a hundred euro cheaper!

Depp wrote: »
    should be grand, just get them to whip it out of the box and throw it in their pocket and itd be fine wouldnt it?

Can't comment on that I'm afraid: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59339958&postcount=1

This is the bones of a charter for the Apple Media Devices forum, it will be added to over the next while.

This forum is for discussing all Apple media devices, including the iPhone, iPods, & iPad.

Standard Boards.ie rules apply, however, I think this forum warrants an extra line or two:

If you have come here to slag off iPhone users, you won't last long. Promise. Rational, coherent debate on the features/lack of features is welcomed, posts such as "Teh iPhone is bleedin' shoite" will get you into a spot of bother.

Topics which descend into a "my OS is better than your OS" shouting match will be nudged back on topic by a moderator. Failing to heed this will result in infractions, and possibly have the topic closed.

No discussion of anything illegal, with special mention of cracked apps.

Discussion of proxies and VPNs are allowed, but forbidden when discussed in the context of bypassing regional copyright/licensing restrictions.

No personal abuse.

Keep the fanboyism to a tolerable level.

If you have a problem with a post, report it. Don't engage in chastising the poster. That's my job.

No selling. Use Adverts.ie.

No txt speak.

More to follow.

no problem my bad, didnt realise this was the rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

4th last line is apt!

guil wrote: »
    4th last line is apt!
    I don't have a problem with the post? I'm hardly chastising the poster, just informing that it may not be a bargain that they make it out to be and that they should be aware of that fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Neither do I but I got an infraction here a long time ago for quoting the charter to someone else.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seems to be no-one moderating here, and then if you point out something like this you get warned for it. Same happened to me recently on a different forum on boards. That's the reason I didn't bother. No point in using the report function as we are told to do, as no-one responds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

whiterebel wrote: »
    Seems to be no-one moderating here, and then if you point out something like this you get warned for it. Same happened to me recently on a different forum on boards. That's the reason I didn't bother. No point in using the report function as we are told to do, as no-one responds.

Keep on topic there buddy. Nobody wants to hear your sob story. Report a post and move on. Don't see why you need a response on it. Do you feel the need for special recognition or a virtual medal?

On-topic: OP, I would buy the phone in Ireland. You do get a one year warranty with the phone either way but if you run into a hardware issue in that time, you can't send the phone off to Apple for replacement. It might end up requiring a trip to Belfast to the Apple Store or seeing if an authorised service provider can order in a replacement part.

For the extra €, I would prefer peace of mind buying from here and being fully able to take advantage of the service options and having consumer law coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

A friend of mine bought one in the States years ago and said he never would again. The power button went on the phone and it had a serial number that apple were willing to fix but they wouldn't collect the phone from an Irish address to fix it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Buying in the US will only give you the standard one year warranty. At least buying it here you should have the protection of consumer law for up to 6 years.
    €100 might not seem a lot if something goes wrong after 12 months. I've had problems with my iPhone 6 twice for battery problems in 18 months, so things do go wrong.

Advertisement